Anyone tried ripping with Jitterbug?

JayM

Anyone tried ripping with Jitterbug?
« on: 24 Jan 2016, 12:24 am »
I just have, and I am now sorry I did.

I'd just come to the end of ripping my collection, or most of what I wanted to listen to anyway, about 600 or so CDs. Ripping to WAV 24-96

I had just got a JB for Christmas and for a lark, thought I would rip with the JB in series with the 2TB disk I rip to. I had a handful of disks left to rip, and after I was done, I thought to compare some of my new rips to the same track I had before on another drive. I heard enough to pique my interest so I re-ripped the 3 discs below.

I listened to Holly Cole's Don't Smoke in Bed, Every Day will be a Holiday, on Mozart's Laudate Dominum sung by Felicity Palmer and the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge, and on Miles's Kind of Blue, All Blues.

Subtle differences, but I thought (YMMV) I hear more low level detail. Separate strands stand out more from the other. More intelligibility on mumbled or softer lyrics, a little bit more air. Just a little bit more micro-dynamics on everything.

Sigh. Depressing. Here we go again. I need to take a little bit of a lie down. I thought I was done with ripping. :duh: :duh: :duh:

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
Re: Anyone tried ripping with Jitterbug?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2016, 03:33 pm »
It is very easy to hear differences.
Our perception takes care of that.
What we believe, we will hear.

Jitterbug claims to reduce noise.
It doesn’t claim to alter the bits (fortunately as it would make our computer highly unreliable)
Hence rip a track to WAV with the Jitterbug in place and do the same without the jitterbug.
Do a binary comparison between the 2 tracks.
It is highly likely they are bit identical.

No need to re-rip :)