A Newbe From the SF Bay Area

dflrm

A Newbe From the SF Bay Area
« on: 22 Jan 2016, 11:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am just about as green in the world of audio equipment as they come.  I have never owned anything that would pass for a quality stereo system.  I actually have not bought anything radio wise since the Panasonic boom box that I bought in 1984.  Every other piece of audio equipment I have ever owned were gifts.  My first stereo system was a no name all in one unit with a phonograph, dual tape deck, cd player, and a tuner.  About the time my first system died I was given an Aiwa portable stereo with detachable speakers which lasted me about 17 years.  When the Aiwa died I celebrated because I thought yes now I can finally put together a real system and quit living in audio hell.  However, my wife being the sensible one insisted that since we are trying to save up to buy a house we should just make do with the Bose Wave we inherited.  Well the Bose is dying. (Insert Laughter here)
I have been reading past posts and look forward to learning more.

Thanks
Daniel 

Guy 13

Re: A Newbe From the SF Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2016, 11:55 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Daniel

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:12 am »
Welcome to AC!

saygrr

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:24 am »
Hi Newbe. I would just like to give you this friendly advise. Just because the price of a component is low does not mean it is poor quality. Yes most of the time it is, but there is some very nice gear out there that is an outstanding value. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is good. Do a lot of reading. Hopefully you can make a friend that knows a lot about audio gear.

Can you make it to Axpona? That's one way to get out and do some listening and get acquainted with some products. Another one is RMAF. There are other shows I can mention when they come to mind For now hopefully some others can help. I think there is a show in the SF Bay area. RMAF would not be far from you. That's in Denver.

Give yourself a lot of time before you buy. There is a lot to learn in terms of what is good. what is not, what works good together and what will work good in your room. I learned a fair amount the hard way. Also if you can attend live events at a good auditorium. I like classical music. I go to hear the Milwaukee symphony about twice a year. I'm sure SF must have a good symphony.

I hope you get a nice system. Music is good therapy.

Jeff

dflrm

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2016, 02:35 am »
Thanks for the advice.
Flying out of state to an audio show is not really an option at the moment. However going out to see good music is definitely doable.  I am going to see the T Sisters on the 30th.  Looking into going to see a symphony play is a good idea.  I must admit that although I do enjoy classical music I have never seen it performed live although I have seen a whole bunch of other types live.  When I am asked what type of music I like I tend to answer "Good Music".
Whenever your new to something there always seems to be an urge to jump into the mud with both feet without giving things much thought.  I am trying to be smart about things and do my research.

Thanks
Daniel

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2016, 02:52 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Daniel  :thumb:   And welcome to the road to ruin, aka "musical nirvana".  :o  Know that we'll all be happy to help you spend your $, hopefully wisely.

TrungT

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:46 am »
Welcome to Ac  :thumb:

saygrr

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2016, 01:45 pm »
I know your looking for a house so the room size is questionable but do you have an idea? Would the system be in a dedicated room or living room? Would your source be cd player or vinyl? Are you thinking about separate line stage / pre amp and amplifier, or integrated amp, or receiver? Recommend 2 channel over 4 or surround sound. Quality over quantity. I know to many people that gave into more speakers and end up with a horrible system. I have been in this hobby for 38 years. Over the years I put any where from 20 to 50 dollars away each week in an audio fund/envelope. That's how I got where I'm at. I'm positive a real nice system can be put together for about $2,500. Does that alarm you? I set up several systems for $700 that was nice for small group music, but not do well with rock or classical music with dynamic extremes. That was for an aunt and a friend. Any way hope this helps.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2016, 02:29 pm »
Consider joining the San Francisco Audiophile  Society (sanfranciscoaudiophilesociety.com), and attending some of their events. It will expose you what is possible and open up the world of great audio for you. Additionally, attend a performance of the San Francisco Symphony. It should open your mind to great music and sound.

RPM123

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2016, 04:16 pm »
Welcome to AC and good luck with putting together a new stereo system! You certainly have your hurdles... a "sensible wife" and trying to buy a house in the SF Bay Area, that will at least initially, limit your budget.
Your best bet may be to shop around some of the brick and mortar Hi Fi stores and check out their used equipment. Unsure if there will be a California Audio Show (near SFO) this year, but if there is, you should check that out. The "dagogo.com" website will have information on it. The Great American Music Hall in downtown SF has terrific acoustics and also a lot of good musical acts. My wife and I were there the other night and saw Cowboy Junkies. Great show!

dflrm

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm »
Saygrr, you had some excellent questions and I have some answers for at least some of them.  I agree the room size is questionable but if I were to guess that the room will probably be in the ballpark of my current combination living and dining room which is 344 square feet.
I would like my system to have the following sources: CD player, FM tuner (I still like listening to the radio), ability to stream music from pandora or maybe a flash drive, and some day in the future be able to spin some vinyl.  I am willing to wait on the phonograph for a few years if need be.  Even though I love spinning vinyl, it is not a necessity for me as long as I can go visit my parent’s house and get my vinyl fix in every once in a while.  Currently a separate tuner is my preference as opposed to a receiver, but I am still undecided when it comes to the integrated or separate pre amp and amp question.  I need to do more research on 2 channel amps, preamps, and integrated amps.  I am considering getting a used vintage amps, preamps, or integrated amp and just replacing all the caps and possibly the resistors myself.  I have a desoldering station just collecting dust and doing a cap and resistor swap is within my ability range.  I plan on dipping my toes into the vintage circle for some advice and opinions. Your saving strategy is awesome that is actually how my wife and I saved up money for our wedding and honeymoon years ago.  We actually still use that saving strategy.  The $2500 does not alarm me although it does mean I will be saving up longer. 

MtnHam, I will definitely look into both the San Francisco Audiophile Society and the San Francisco Symphony.

RPM123, I definitely need to check out the local HiFi stores.  I have made it to Music Lovers in Berkeley but could definitely use to check out the others.  Thanks for the heads up on dagogo and the Great American Music Hall in SF.

Thanks Everyone
Daniel

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2016, 10:31 pm »

MtnHam, I will definitely look into both the San Francisco Audiophile Society and the San Francisco Symphony.
Daniel

Daniel- If you are near SF, you would be welcome to visit my city pied-à-terre where I have a 2nd, more modest, but nonetheless lovely system. The room is relatively small, approximately 14x16x8', and thus shows what can be done. Most the gear was purchased used. Email me.
Tom

saygrr

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2016, 01:32 pm »
Daniel it looks like you have a good start. MtnHam glad you mentioned the San Francisco audiophile society. I knew there was something in San Francisco. Dan since you have soldering skills have you thought about kits? K and K Audio have very good kits. I bought his Maxxed Out phono stage. ( not available as a kit ) This is an example of price means nothing. I had an ARC phono stage. $4,000 invested in it. The Maxxed Out is $2,849 and it beats the ARC in every way. Audio Note kits is another one and they also have speaker kits. Kevin at K and K Audio is very easy to talk with if you would like to call him. 919-387-0911 His web site is interesting also.

I hope you get a great system. My wife is not interested in audio. She has been patient with me. Life has a fair amount of stress. Music is therapy.

Hope to see updates on your progress. Keep us posted.