I need a new desk top headphone amp

brooklyn

I need a new desk top headphone amp
« on: 22 Jan 2016, 12:06 am »
Hi everyone, I no longer use my 2 channel audio system and started selling it off piece at a time. Some of my
earlier post had me asking about desktop speakers to go along with a vintage Creek 4040 integrated amp but
I don’t think the Creek will achieve the end result I’m looking for. I still want good sound quality.

I do all my music listening and some movie watching with headphones from a Mac Mini through a headphone amp.
The headphone amp I have now has two inputs which I need so I can listen to vinyl and digital.. I like simplicity
so a new headphone amp should have two inputs and I would prefer a built in Dac so there are no extra cables to
deal with and I would still like to hook up a pair of desktop monitors.

I’m considering the OPPO HA-1 headphone amp as a one box solution so I can connect powered speakers, my Mac Mini
via USB and my turntable with a phono amp. I would also be able to use the OPPO as a preamp if I decide to get back
into the 2 channel game for any reason.. Has anyone on this forum owned or listened to the OPPO. My budget will be
$1200 bucks (or more if needed) just for the headphone amp/dac, I will consider speakers after I figure out what the
hell I’m doing.

Guy 13

Re: I need a new desk top headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2016, 12:17 am »
Hi brooklyn,
I've listen to the PM-2 headphones,
but with a NAD integrated amplifier,
when I ask the saleman to listen to the OPPO headphone amplifier
he told me that I would not like it because the sound was too bright.
Well, stupid me, I listen to him
and did not give a listen to the OPPO headphone amplifier.
I strongly recommend that you listen before you buy,
but I am sure you know that already
and I think I am recommending to do something you know already.  :oops:

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 12:19 am »
I have heard it at their table at Capital Audiofest summer before last. Didn't have an extensive enough listen for a solid impression but the overall SQ with their PM-1 cans was very nice and the build quality of both seemed first class.

jostber

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2016, 12:25 am »
I have the Beresford Capella. Totally great value and sound:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7110.htm

It can also work as a preamp.

milford3

Steven Stone

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:57 am »
The Grace m9xx from Massdrop is hard to beat for $500.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/grace-design-x-massdrop-m9xx-dac-amp

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:16 am »
Check out Audiostream.com for lots of reviews of DAC/preamp/headphone amp units.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:57 pm »
I have the Beresford Capella. Totally great value and sound:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7110.htm

It can also work as a preamp.

Who sells this in the US and how much does it cost? Looks like an interesting design especially with the unusual (and seemingly very useful) balance and high frequency controls (to improve compatibility between specific recordings and headphones). I have long wondered why nobody seemed inclined to do this.

jostber

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2016, 05:29 pm »
Who sells this in the US and how much does it cost? Looks like an interesting design especially with the unusual (and seemingly very useful) balance and high frequency controls (to improve compatibility between specific recordings and headphones). I have long wondered why nobody seemed inclined to do this.

You have to order it directly from the Stanley Beresford web site. Send him an email here to request for price and postage: info@homehifi.co.uk

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2016, 05:32 pm »
I am quite happy with my older Matrix Mini i.  It does click audibly through the headphones when it changes resolution capabilities (ie 16/44.1 to 24/192), not sure if the new one does or does not.

The new Pro version can do DSD etc, and can be a preamp, DAC, headamp and combinations of the 3 etc.  Retail in the mid 500's.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/matrix_audio_mini_i_pro.htm

Could be worth a look if you use different resolutions for audio playback.

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2016, 06:44 pm »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions but I don’t think any of them will do exactly what I want to
achieve. I have read a lot of great reviews on the OPPO but I was hoping someone here on A/C might actually
own one or recommend something very similar. The OPPO seems to have everything I’m looking for in a
headphone amp and it’s cost effective to a degree.

I would also need a good return policy for anything I buy (just in case) because there aren’t any Hi-End audio
stores were I live to listen to anything of really good quality let alone a headphone amp. I will probably just go
with the OPPO.. It does seem really nice..

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2016, 09:08 pm »
I had the Oppo HA-1 for a week long audition and thought it was wretched. Great interface and usability, but the sound (both dac and amp portion) were shrill. Perhaps it pairs well with the relatively warm and wooly PM-2, but otherwise I'd give it a pass.

What kind of digital inputs would you need on the dac portion?

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2016, 06:14 am »
Hi Armaegis, thanks for the reply. I would need a USB for a Dac and a analog input for the turntable.
I could actually continue to use the Graham Slee Solo headphone amp which has two analog inputs
and sounds pretty good. The problem with that is I’m using the onboard Dac from the Mac Mini and
there no way to connect a pair of speakers.

My thought process was my computer is now the only way I listen to music along with my turntable..
I would also like to be able to listen to some desk top speakers once in a while. I just wanted something
that sounds good with a little more flexibility.. I’m really not that good with this computer audio stuff.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm »
Never mind. I can't read.

Deleted.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2016, 03:15 pm »
I’m really not that good with this computer audio stuff.

I'm trying to learn more about this side of things also, as my computer is my primary music delivery platform as well.
There's lots of generously shared knowledge here, but another forum you might want to look at for this is http://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum/ .
They have an iOS app btw and their site reads easily on portable devices (something this site should support too IMHO.)

londonbarn

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2016, 03:34 pm »
The Peachtree offerings may be up your alley...

brooklyn

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2016, 06:35 pm »
Hi londonbarn, thanks for mentioning the Peachtree.. I started to look at other options the
other day and started thinking about an integrated amp with more grunt and different options
to use with my computer setup.. Peactree was one of those options and is now a strong contender
along with Oppo which is still also being considered..

The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Peachtree at this time is the retro look
of it, which is not that appealing to me as it is with others.. It really shouldn’t be a big deal
but I also need to like the way a piece of gear looks as well as the way it sounds..

db Cooper, thank you for that website which I have now bookmarked. Yes, computer audio
is a different animal with it’s own set of options.. I hope my head doesn’t explode…. LOL

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2016, 09:37 pm »
Brooklyn after I read your post I checked out the Oppo HA1 and I'm not sure you should look any further than there. If I had the budget for it I'd do it, Sabre chip all the new tech built in its a good choice I think.
 I always try and buy a jack of all trades device whenever I'm looking for components but my budget is usually a lot less then yours, I use the AUNE X1 Pro, its a year old, but the newer version has the Sabre chip your looking for....inexpensive great sounding stuff.

Good luck, let us know, I'm digging the Oppo thanks for turning me onto that!!!!
 :dance:

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2016, 01:05 am »

db Cooper, thank you for that website which I have now bookmarked. Yes, computer audio
is a different animal with it’s own set of options.. I hope my head doesn’t explode…. LOL

I know the feeling. Although my Mac is my main "system" these days (in conjunction with a Schiit Modi DAC and O2 headphone amp) I hope to have a separate system again at some point. Learning about the Raspberry Pi and thinking about that as the nucleus of a C&C computer based system. Storage would be on an external drive (SSD when that becomes cost effective) and want to be able to run headlessly (no display) and control wirelessly from phone or tablet. It is doable but just gotta figure out how to put it together and get it running.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2016, 02:08 am by dB Cooper »

brooklyn

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2016, 06:54 am »
Hi eclein, the Aune X1 looks like a versatile little headphone amp.. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence with the Oppo, I’ve been reading a thread over at the Head-Fi forum
and most of the posters seem to like it.. From what I read so far, the sound signature might be to my
liking with my Planer type headphones..

When I was a younger man, I would jump into these types of things with both feet but I also lived in NY
back then were all things are plentiful. I would go to an audio shop and fondle the gear and listen to my
hearts content…. Man, I miss that.. I hope to make a decision before long, I like getting new stuff.

Brooklyn