SP 1.7 not responding to remote

kberman

SP 1.7 not responding to remote
« on: 21 Jan 2016, 03:10 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me with an issue.  My 1.7 is no longer responding to either my universal remote or the Bryston remote.  Is this familiar to someone.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil A

Re: SP 1.7 not responding to remote
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2016, 03:22 pm »
Have you tried unplugging the 1.7 and letting it sit a few and does the problem persist?  Does the problem occur even when you have the remote really close (a couple of feet awat) to the unit?

kberman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 05:13 am »
Have you tried unplugging the 1.7 and letting it sit a few and does the problem persist?  Does the problem occur even when you have the remote really close (a couple of feet awat) to the unit?

Thanks Phil.  I'm a bit embarrassed but it was as simple as unplugging the unit and plugging it back in.
Much obliged, Kevin

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2016, 02:48 pm »
Thanks Phil.  I'm a bit embarrassed but it was as simple as unplugging the unit and plugging it back in.
Much obliged, Kevin

Kevin - no need to be embarrassed in the least.  To make you feel better, I'll tell you what I did once.  Many moons ago, it my old (VA) house, at the time I had a Proceed AVP pre/pro (then I had the SP 1.7 and after that I went to a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass) and Proceed Amps.  I had one extra receptacle on its own circuit run when the house was going up in addition to what they gave me.  The Grand Room was 19 feet high with a staircase going upstairs to 3 bedrooms and a loft (my bedroom was on the main level).  The Proceed stuff had DC triggers and I had the amp for the surrounds plugged into one outlet and the amp for the front three channels on its own circuit. I had two light switches going up the stairs.  One was for the light and I always wondered (ever though I was in the house for years) what the second switch was for.  Someone was over and I showed them the upstairs and I guess on the way back down they were behind me and shut off both switches.

When they left, I tried turning on the system.  The amp had an LED on the front when it received the 12v DC trigger.  THe LED would go on for a couple of seconds but the amp would never go on.  Four hours later after crawling behind the rack, taking apart the receiptable, checking it, putting another one in (I had upgraded them not only in the audio system but in areas of the house that saw use as the builder used cheapo $0.50 ones), checking the breaker panel, etc., I finally figured out that it was the switch (in the pic of the old house below one can see the edge of the railing of the staircase on the right and the position of where I kept my audio equipment).  I broke off the little tab on the receptacle so that the switch no longer would control it.  It was sort of useless anyway as walking in thru the front door there was a 2 story (19 foot high) foyer with switches right there for the foyer chandelier and the outside lights.  Also, the grand room also had a big opening into kitchen (you can see a drop of it to the left of the seating in the second pic) and on that staircase wall I had a switch for the fan with a light kit on a 5 foot pole on the grand room ceiling.

So how's that for embarrassing - had been in the house for many years and spent 4 hours since someone shut off a switch.  That same person had a habit of shutting off switches - remember that they put a laptop near my office entrance (which was near the front door) and turned off the light switches (there were three, one was for the ceiling fan, one was for the light kit in the fan and the other controlled half a receptacle where I had my UPS plugged into) but fortunately the UPS beeped when powered was cut-off.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2016, 02:56 pm »
Thanks Phil.

Kevin - PS - you're quite welcome.  Continue to ask questions and participate.  That's what this place is for to give and to get information.  I should have added that my friend worked for the dealer and was more of a sales guy vs. installer and for about a 5-6 year period, I did virtually (maybe missed a couple) every set-up/install with him.  He was much more comfortable with 2-channel.  Not only did I upgrade (when it was current) the SP1.7 chips in my own unit, did it for a bunch of customers who were not comfortable doing it.  Before I got my chip extractor, I used a corn holder as sometimes the chips were tight.  I got the biggest kick a few weeks later when I went into the back room of the store and saw that the owner brought in a corn holder and had it in his parts/tool bin to change out chips.