AVA amps vs. Odyssey amps comparison question

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
AVA amps vs. Odyssey amps comparison question
« on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:10 pm »
Hello. I've been quite curious about how AVA amp compare to Odyssey amps. I've got two AVA amps already - a 400R Fet Valve and a Synergy 240/3 solid state. I've used the three-channel amp for two-channel and HT though for this thread I'm interested only in two-channel mode.

Do any of you have experience with both AVA and Odyssey amps, and what impressions did you come away with? This experience need not have been a true A/B comparison. You could have listened to an AVA amp one day and an Odyssey 6 months later - I don't care about timeline so long as something lit up in your brain that told you, "Hey. This one is better than I remember the other one sounding." Likewise, if one amp was 100 watts and the other was 300 watts, it's still fair game to tell me your impressions.

Thanks for any input!

Michael

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: AVA amps vs. Odyssey amps comparison question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:50 pm »
   Michael there is only one way to find out. compare them directly in your system. Opinions unless it is the same system is just moot.  Maybe someone in your area owns an Odyessy amp. Or order one with a trial period.

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2016, 12:56 am »
 I have only heard the AVA R and Synergy amps  and like them both and both sounded better than my Parasound A21 which I gave to my son, but here is a link that may help.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/van-alstine-synergy-amps-are-they-quality-sound

maty

AVA Fet Valve 400R
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2016, 11:10 am »
Trust me, if I lived in USA, AVA Fet Valve 400R would be my election without doubt. But I live in Spain: shipping + 21% VAT + customs ... is much money. Hybrid with lateral MOSFET Exicon and more voltage regulators is a winning bet.

You do not need to buy other amplifier, maybe other things.

Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?

-> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125647.0

If you want to spend money: clean supply (without DC and RFI/EMI), the room or a new DAC?, not to change the amps you have.

pmctexas

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2016, 01:18 pm »
I have both AVA and Odyssey amps.  My speakers are very large line source (GR - Research LS-6).  I have a slight sound preference to the AVA. I also like the fact that the AVA's don't need to be on 24X7 (however, AVA needs some warm up time). Size and weight are also factors (to me) making the AVA amps much easier to deal with (resale, repair). If you ever get down to the Dallas area you are welcome to visit and switch and swap as much as you want...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2016, 03:33 am »
Thanks, everyone for your responses.

I asked this for a couple reasons - I've lately read quite a few testimonials for Klaus' amps (particularly for Kismets), various 'product of the year' awards, my own discovery of very impressive SS amps here in Taiwan, and the real kicker of AC member's (ictwoody) offering his Kismet amp for sale for a very appealing $1400 at last check. I'm afraid I have too much free time which allows my audio fantasies to run wild lately. 

I still hope to one day actually listen to a Kismet amp in my system (or with my speakers anyway) so I can determine for myself what they sound like.

Regards,

Michael