Great Deal on Performance Upgraded GR Research AV1's

Ron

O.K. fellow Audio Circle members, here is a good deal for you. If you have been thinking about buying a pair of great sounding GR Research  Monitor type speakers but don't have the time, tools, space, or skills to do so you might want to consider this. I have a newly built pair of AV1 Mini Monitor speakers with Sonicap and No-Rez performance upgrades. The cabinets are custom built in natural cherry veneer with a polyurethane stop coat finish. These speakers are very nice both in sound quality and appearance. Ideal for high end  home theater uses or dedicated 2 channel setups in a small room. I have to sell because there is no room for them in my listening room (too many other speakers) so they need to go. As a result I have lowered the selling price drastically. For details, go to the following AC Trading Post link:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138162.0

Fallingsnowfy

Re: Great Deal on Performance Upgraded GR Research AV1's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2016, 04:02 pm »
Hello is this better speaker than a X-LS Encore kit, what kind of tweeter is that one.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:05 pm »
Wow Ron
The kit price alone is $223,  Sonicaps $A76.00, No Rez $40.00 not to mention the  cabinets !!
I can't believe  these haven't been snaped up yet  :scratch:

jay

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:25 pm »
  It's puzzling to me too Jay that no one seems to be interested in buying a very nice pair of GR Research speakers even at a bargain price. Guess the economy must be worse than I thought.

Ron

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:28 pm »
  It's puzzling to me too Jay that no one seems to be interested in buying a very nice pair of GR Research speakers even at a bargain price. Guess the economy must be worse than I thought.

Ron
Probably because they don't have tube connectors.   :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:42 pm »
Wow Ron
The kit price alone is $223,  Sonicaps $A76.00, No Rez $40.00 not to mention the  cabinets !!
I can't believe  these haven't been snaped up yet  :scratch:

jay

Really. I calculated the parts cost to be about $350 plus probably another $25 for shipping from Danny then cabinet material, with the least expensive flat cut cherry veneer I use would be another $80. So $375 for the parts plus $80 for the cabinet materials means $455 in parts and materials. Then you still have to build them.

A brand name pair of speakers at this quality level would cost at least $1,200 - $1,500.

Mike

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:48 pm »
I would but I already have too many and am having trouble selling them as well.  For those that aren't familiar with Danny's work I think it's a tough sell unless they can hear them first.  Also, yes, I do think the economy is a part of the problem.  For too many people $300 is still a lot of money.  I think younger people are more into headphones than speakers nowadays.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2016, 05:58 pm »
I would but I already have too many and am having trouble selling them as well.  For those that aren't familiar with Danny's work I think it's a tough sell unless they can hear them first.  Also, yes, I do think the economy is a part of the problem.  For too many people $300 is still a lot of money.  I think younger people are more into headphones than speakers nowadays.

Unfortunately, all of that is true. Especially about the young folks. When my grandson was living with us I set him up with a really nice system and he still listened to music on his smartphone with $4 earbuds. Go figure

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2016, 06:06 pm »
That's funny Mike but I do know what you are saying... although my niece does listen to her X LS Encores each and every night as she is falling  asleep, during the day she prefers to use her phone and  ear buds too. A lot of the time she is sitting in front  of the pair of Encores in their living  room :duh:

Regarding the speaker sales, another deal breaker these days seems to be shipping costs... people seem to get interested then when they hear shipping rates, they  bail.  Folks have to remember that most of the people selling this stuff are not making any money from shipping, unfortunately, shipping is what it is. Cabinets and larger kits/components are not light, just something we  have to deal with

jay

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2016, 06:59 pm »
Fallingsnowfy - The AV1's use the GR-T3 1" dome silk tweeter which has a very open, transparent sound quality. Both the AV1's and the XL-S Encores are excellent sounding speakers. Compared to the AV1's, the X-LS Encores have stronger bass and cleaner bass due to its larger woofer size ( 6-1/2" vs  5-1/4"), greater power handling, and smoother overall sound.

Jay - I agree that shipping cost is a problem and is frequently a deal breaker. Even if the speakers are being sold at a low price, a lot of potential buyers  just don't want to pay the shipping cost which can sometimes be high due to the distance.

Ron

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2016, 07:06 pm »
Of course, with those tweeters, they'd also timbre match nicely with the AV1-RS surrounds in a HT setup  :thumb:

Ron

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2016, 07:15 pm »
  Timbre match with the AV1-RS would be perfect as well as with the others GR Research AV series speakers too. The AV1's really sound great with a good subwoofer to extend the low end.

cody69

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:17 am »
Great deal here that someone will snatch up.

The AV1's really sound great with a good subwoofer to extend the low end.
AV1's were the first speakers I built. Have them playing with a pair of Danny's SW-12/PR-12 subs and always make me smile.

Ron

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2016, 05:49 pm »
  The AV1's have been sold.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2016, 03:33 pm by Ron »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:24 pm »
 :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant

drhoon

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:07 am »
Sold to me  :D
It will be my first speaker purchase..hopefully I know what I am doing.     :o
Ron sounds like a great guy  :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:22 am »
Sold to me  :D
It will be my first speaker purchase..hopefully I know what I am doing.     :o
Ron sounds like a great guy  :)

He is, he does great work, I think you are going to be more than pleasantly surprised once you hear them.

Let us know what you think.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:33 am »
I've known Ron for a  number of years  , you have nothing to worry about  !
Enjoy your new speakers 

jay

Rocket

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2016, 07:37 am »
Hi Drhoon,

Can't go wrong with these speakers and great pickup for you. Ron has been a member of audio circle for a number of years and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Regards Rod