Marantz 7702 HDMI Handshake Help Needed

witchdoctor

Marantz 7702 HDMI Handshake Help Needed
« on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »
I got a Marantz 7702 processor and started running the setup wizard through my Optoma projector. Plugged in the HDMI cable and no picture. Called Marantz to do trouble shooting and they said it must be the HDMI board and to return the unit. So new unit arrives, hook it up to my Optoma HD 25 projector and same problem. This time I call Optoma support and they tell me some units just have handshake issues. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

Phil A

Re: Marantz 7702 HDMI Handshake Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:41 am »
Have you tested the HDMI cable?  When I moved into the current house, I had an unused HDMI cable for use in a bedroom system and had it run in the attic and got no picture.  Finally determined it was the cable and bought another cable and also bought an HDMI cable tester.  I recently bought a refurb Marantz 5010 for a spare system and had no issues.  The other thing to try would be an HDMI compliant switch between the pre/pro and the projector.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:52 am »
Phil that is a great idea. My HDMI cable is old and is rigged with a connector, I had to use two cables to get the length I need. Thanks!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2016, 07:24 pm »
It was a shocker for me with the HDMI cable.  Had a top of the line 50 foot Blue Jeans one for the main projector (from the old house) and that worked fine and had a slightly shorter one of the same variety but left it in the old house (the guy wanted the basement projector - a Sony 720p VPL-AW15, as part of the contract) and bought a brand new Monoprice one (and I've bought many of their shorter length ones no problem).  Probably had it 6 months before I had the projector mounted in the new place and it never dawned on me that there would be a problem with the cable.  I had the contractor's low voltage people working on the installation and figured it is easier if they go into the attic and also if there is a problem with something they did (had 2 inch PVC run and there was a problem and they had to cut the PVC) it would be easier.  So I ran out to Best Buy while the guy was working a bought a Monster Cable one for the bedroom system.  Didn't want to spend that much but also didn't want to wait.  After that I bought the HDMI cable tester and when I had a problem with one cable on another system it was easy to diagnose.  I like the Blue Jeans bonded ones (Series 1 - http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm).  Not cheap, especially for long runs but if I were buy a cable for between a receiver or pre/pro and the display to me it is worth it.  When I get my other systems in order, I won't need really long lengths and I'll probable order at least a couple.