VPI or Pro-Ject

mr_bill

VPI or Pro-Ject
« on: 16 Jan 2016, 09:35 pm »
Hi
I'm getting a new turntable and either a Pro-ject or VPI.
I had a Rega P3 and just sold it.

I'm looking at either the VPI Prime or Pro-ject Extension 10.
I use a Devialet 200 for the rest of the duties.

I'm no expert in turntables so I'm seeking advice. I'm open to other models in either of these two brands but those examples are about how much I want to spend.

Advice please, thanks, Bill

ernest787

Re: VPI or Pro-Ject
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2016, 12:52 am »
I have a prime and cannot recommend it enough.  Table is built really well and the 3D printed arm is fantastic.  Can handle any cart you throw at it. 

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2016, 01:32 am »
Thanks Earnest, what cartridge do you use?

ernest787

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2016, 02:15 am »
I have the ortofon 2m black.

I'm planning to move to the mc line soonish though. Like going to purchase the cadenza bronze.

emorrisiv

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:18 am »
I suggest a Aries 1 or a HMW19 mk. IV. The latter would leave a lot of money left for a better cartridge and records.

gene9p

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2016, 05:16 am »
just picked up a VPI Classic 2. They were on sale for 2699 around Christmas. Not anymore, back up to 3999. Using a Zephyr cartridge with an Ortofon 2M Black as backup that I will test out down the road a bit. Moved my Rega P3-24 to BR set up.

Q3Di

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2016, 05:29 am »
I owned Pro-Ject RM9.2 Evo with Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II. Loved this combo so much. My current table is VPI ScoutMaster II with Dynavector 20X2L and I like this setup too.

tube-vds

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2016, 09:21 am »
i think both are great players. i decided for the Xtension 10 with the orto quintet black. got both new for € 2.600 - i think that's good.

the sound is realy great and the noise floor is very low - i'm very happy with this RP.

but:
what i would like to have is not a fixed output cable, but both cinch and XLR outputs so i could use my own cables.

it's a bit sensitive to electro magnetic waves. i used the audiopan filter for the phone stage and the tone arm should have at least 40 cm distance from the tube amp output transformers too.

:green:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2016, 03:54 pm »
I would get a Clearaudio Performance and with the savings have more money to put into the cart. Beyond exceptional performance, ease of use, and reliability, this would also make an excellent cosmetic match with a devialet 200.

mca

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2016, 04:11 pm »
Audio Advisor has some great deals on Pro-Ject tables right now.