Russell Dawkins

Re: Elac speaker review.
« Reply #100 on: 4 Apr 2016, 06:31 pm »
You ARE missing the point!

maty

« Reply #101 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
Maybe.

The important, to me, is a a system that allows excited to listen to old reference recordings, and they sound amazing despite the years. Like:

Great Opera Collection Box set

-> http://www.amazon.com/Great-Opera-Collection-Giacomo-Puccini/dp/B000YCLR6K

Image -> http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/foobar2000/foobar2000-Puccini-Tosca-Tebaldi-Del-Monaco-Santa-Cecilia-1959.png

Almost sixty years!

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:09 pm »
ELAC has dealers too.

A dealer that makes a marginal percentage of a sale done online and a stocking distributor that has a store front and demo's speakers is two different things.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #103 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:15 pm »
A dealer that makes a marginal percentage of a sale done online and a stocking distributor that has a store front and demo's speakers is two different things.
They have brick and mortar stores too.  My local dealer carries them. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:23 pm »
They have brick and mortar stores too.  My local dealer carries them.

Wow, good for them then. I'm glad to hear there are still a few stores out there hanging on.

Most of the stores out there right now aren't buying the product on their floors. They are taking product on consignment.

Elac isn't just relying on in store sales though. You can order them online.

apollophono

« Reply #105 on: 4 Apr 2016, 09:23 pm »
Sorry a little off topic.  Since the review by New Day Records is stating the XLS encore is better
still and the Carnegie Acoustics are based on Dannie's designs, is the Davanti speaker based on
the XLS or XLS Encore design?  Which exact speakers are being used in those?  For $399 those
really could be a steal.  Any help would be appreciated.

drewm

« Reply #106 on: 4 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm »
Sorry a little off topic.  Since the review by New Day Records is stating the XLS encore is better
still and the Carnegie Acoustics are based on Dannie's designs, is the Davanti speaker based on
the XLS or XLS Encore design?  Which exact speakers are being used in those?  For $399 those

It looks to be based on the http://gr-research.com/av-1.aspx which I'm guessing slots in between the X-LS and X-LS encore in terms of tweeter, although a 5.25 woofer instead of the 6.5.

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 4 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »

The Davanti was based on our A/V-1. So it is along the lines of and very close to a X-LS Encore. And yes, at $399 they are a steal.

I also still have stock of the Carnegie CST-1 and CSC-1. And these use the BG Neo 3 pdr tweeter. And these are also in piano black.

These are a steal:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116702.0

Meicheng

« Reply #108 on: 5 Apr 2016, 02:53 am »
Danny, I kind of feel like you've hijacked the Elac thread AGAIN.  Is there some bad blood between you and Andrew Jones we don't know about?  For clarification, is there any warranty honored/offered with the Carnigie speakers?  The company is out of business, isn't it? 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #109 on: 5 Apr 2016, 02:59 am »
Danny, I kind of feel like you've hijacked the Elac thread AGAIN.  Is there some bad blood between you and Andrew Jones we don't know about?  For clarification, is there any warranty honored/offered with the Carnigie speakers?  The company is out of business, isn't it?
How can Danny hi-jack a thread that's in his circle?  If you don't want the moderator's input, take it to a different place. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #110 on: 5 Apr 2016, 03:00 am »

I've hijacked the Elac thread? This is the GR Research circle. It's not the Elac circle. And the review that was linked in the first post of this thread was a review of an upgrade that I offer, and not an Elac speaker review.

I have no issue with Andrew Jones. He's good for the industry and good for me too.

The Carnegie speakers do carry a warranty. The company is not out of business.

bdp24

« Reply #111 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:02 am »

WTF?!

restrav

« Reply #112 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:55 am »
i dont think you can accuse danny of hijacking anything in his own circle for a product or service that he is offering. where else if not here should he say his opinion?

maty

« Reply #113 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:53 am »
[Measures] ELAC Debut B6

-> http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com.es/2016/01/elac-debut-b6-current-new-hotness.html

At the end:

...The ELAC B6's are a really nice speaker. If you are in the market for the new hotness, then I think they are excellent performers. It's pretty hard to say they don't do everything at least pretty good. While I don't think they are the end all be all at the price point, similar to the Pioneer BS22's if you like that slightly smoother warmer sound signature (maybe on the darker side) that is completely unoffensive then these maybe another great choice.

You can't go wrong with these, but if you can, listen to things like the KEF q100 to see what you prefer before you make you choice.

:thumb:

maty

« Reply #114 on: 22 Apr 2016, 09:27 am »
AXPONA 2016: Loudspeakers $20k and Under by Andrew Quint

-> http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2016/

Best Sound (For The Money)

ELAC, of course—the $500/pair UB5. Andrew Jones played a deadmau5 cut at lease-breaking levels and the sound held together as well as with speakers four times the size (and price.)

-> http://elac.com/product/ub5/

Specifications

Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch soft dome, concentrically mounted
Midrange: 1 x 4-inch aluminum cone
Woofer: 1 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
Crossover frequency: 270 / 2,700 Hz
Frequency response: 46 to 25,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ohms; minimum 3.4 Ohms
Binding posts: 5-way custom
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
Accessories included: Magnetic fabric grille
Dimensions (WxHxD):  7.87" x 12.75" x 10.75"

Stuart

« Reply #115 on: 22 Apr 2016, 10:08 am »

I think you are on the wrong planet, as Danny said "This is the GR Research circle. It's not the Elac circle. And the review that was linked in the first post of this thread was a review of an upgrade that I offer, and not an Elac speaker review"

If you don't like what you are reading then leave :scratch:

ohenry

« Reply #116 on: 22 Apr 2016, 11:06 am »
I don't understand.  We all hear differently and gravitate towards what make us happy.  Is there a need to cast negative comments regarding your preference?

wushuliu

« Reply #117 on: 9 May 2016, 12:48 pm »
I can understand the use of electrolytics in economic series (Debut) but not in the next (Uni-Fi), much more expensive!

In Germany, where the matrix is, the speakers company most important is Canton. And never use electrolytics in speakers of the same range of prices. Yes in the cheapests series (GLE).

-> https://www.canton.de/en/

-> http://www.amazon.de/Canton/b?ie=UTF8&node=578138

1. the electrolytics may require values too high to use polycaps and meet space reqs.
2. the additional drivers add to cost and he still has to meet a price point.

roscoeiii

« Reply #118 on: 9 May 2016, 01:11 pm »
1. the electrolytics may require values too high to use polycaps and meet space reqs.
2. the additional drivers add to cost and he still has to meet a price point.

3.  Even with electrolytics, those new Uni-Fi speakers sound GOOD.

wushuliu

« Reply #119 on: 9 May 2016, 01:18 pm »
I think you are on the wrong planet, as Danny said "This is the GR Research circle. It's not the Elac circle. And the review that was linked in the first post of this thread was a review of an upgrade that I offer, and not an Elac speaker review"

If you don't like what you are reading then leave :scratch:

If he was diverted here from matys c&c link he may have thought ot was a separate thread somewhere else which is what i thought.