Elac speaker review.

maty

Re: Elac speaker review.
« Reply #120 on: 17 May 2016, 07:00 am »
-> http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/andrew-jones-talks-tweaked-active-elac-ub5-loudspeaker/

Europeans reading this shouldn’t be concerned at all. You guys are getting a painted finish – not vinyl wrap – and you’ll be paying a slightly higher price to cover its higher production cost. Apparently, the Eurozone doesn’t dig vinyl wrap.

And neither do Europeans like a short and stout looking speaker: 8″ x 11″ x 13″. According to Jones, whom I spoke to at Munich High-End 2016, they prefer a taller, more slender model this season. Consequently, the European version of the UB5 will be narrower and taller than its Stateside counterpart...

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #121 on: 13 Jul 2020, 01:35 am »
Actually the big drop in the top end is an easy fix. The tweeter had a 20 ohm resistor inline with it to bring the level down to meet the woofer output. That's why the impedance is so high on the top end. I by-passed the resistor with a .47uF Sonicap to left the top end back up. Problem solved for just a few dollars.

In fact I offered a level 1 upgrade that replaced the sand caste resistor with a Mills resistor (much cleaner), it adds the by-pass cap to lift the top end, it replaces the tweeter capacitor with a Sonicap (big improvement in clarity), and it includes a sheet of No Rez to solve the cabinet resonance issues. All for $76.

Here is a picture of the upgraded crossover.

And here is the new response curve with the top end no longer rolled off.

Very nice fix, Danny.

Still, I'm going to buld up a pair of X-LS Encores instead.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 13 Jul 2020, 02:55 am »
Very nice fix, Danny.

Still, I'm going to buld up a pair of X-LS Encores instead.

Excellent choice! You wont be disappointed!