Audio-Technica AT440MLa 60Hz noise pickup

Bill A

Audio-Technica AT440MLa 60Hz noise pickup
« on: 9 Jan 2016, 02:14 am »
I have had an AT440MLa on a Rega Planar 3 TT since 2012 and have always had an issue with 60Hz hum from the motor; the closer the cart gets to the spindle to greater the hum.  I have tried every grounding scheme I can think of but no luck.

Searching the net I find that, in 2008 or there abouts, several people have had the same problem that was related to a faulty cart; a new cart fixed the problem.  It is such a popular cart that if it were a chronic problem I think I would have found many more complaints.  Have any of you experienced the same problem with this cart?   

Bill

Wayner

Re: Audio-Technica AT440MLa 60Hz noise pickup
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:13 pm »
I had two defective cartridges at about the 2008 period. They would hum in almost any table the were put in. AT the time, i had bought a brand new Technics SL1200MK2 and thought the troubles were from the table, but thru the internet, learned the trouble was with a defective batch from AT. I contacted AT's service at Stow, Ohio and they had me send the two defects in. I received 2 brand new carts that were hum free.

Wayner

Bill A

Re: Audio-Technica AT440MLa 60Hz noise pickup
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2016, 09:04 pm »
Thanks for the conformation Wayner. I'll contact AT and see what they say. I doubt that they will replace it because of its age but it's worth a shot. 

Bill