New Kid on the Block

brk36

New Kid on the Block
« on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:50 am »
Hi all,
I have recently gotten into TTs and listening to all my music on vinyl. My system is nothing crazy: Audio Technica AT LP-120 and a JVC QL Y5F (need some help with this guy), into a TCC TC-750LC Preamp, Sony Reciever (1440 W), running to 4 Fisher Speakers from the 70s. I have a whole separate set up but that system has modern Bose speakers. Anyways, I will post again shortly about my JVC TT that is giving me a headache! Thanks all!

Benjamin

brooklyn

Re: New Kid on the Block
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:07 am »
Hi Benjamin, welcome to Audio Circle.. This is a great place to hang out.

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:38 am »
Welcome!  What problems are you having with your turntable?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:55 am »
welcome Benjamin

this is an easy going forum,you'll like it

I'm into vinyl too!

greetings from Australia

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2016, 09:50 am »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Benjamin

Guy 13

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2016, 02:57 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2016, 04:46 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Benjamin  :thumb:

brk36

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2016, 06:16 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome. So, I mentioned before I am having issues with my JVC QL Y5F TT. This TT is fully mechanical, whenever the tone arm moves to place itself on the record the position is correct but the height is not. The stylus remains roughly 1/8 of an inch above the the surface of the record. I have tried adjusting the weight on the tone arm with no luck, I also tried adding several different heights of mats on the platter to raise the record to the correct height; this worked, the record played beautifully, tracked perfectly, but then when the tonearm was being returned to the cradle it scrapped across the surface of the album. Don't cringe! It was a cheap Audio Technica cartridge (I have a Grado Gold 1 and a Shure M97xE I normally use for modern and vintage vinyl respectively) and a random record I got for a quarter! Unlike many other TTs the QL Y5F doesn't have a height adjustment for the whole tonearm mechanism so I am unsure what to do to fix the problem. It is a really nice TT, a friend of my Dad's gave it to me free so I would really like to get it running and have him over to show him it will be well loved for many years to come. Thanks all!

Benjamin

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2016, 06:31 pm »
brk,

You should post your question in a new thread over in the Vinyl Circle. You'll get more vinylhead views, and responses. Likely someone of group can provide some worthwhile info. Running a Grado G1+ on my old Thorens.  :thumb:

brk36

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2016, 06:37 pm »
Thanks! Will do!

Benjamin