VR5 Anniversary MKII & Stillpoints Ultra SS

nc42acc

VR5 Anniversary MKII & Stillpoints Ultra SS
« on: 2 Jan 2016, 07:28 pm »
Getting ready to buy 8 of the Stillpoints Ultra SS for my VR5. Can I get some ideas if I am going down the right path or maybe other recommendations. Thanks

Marty

Delacroix

Re: VR5 Anniversary MKII & Stillpoints Ultra SS
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm »
Hi Marty

Are these large ones for the whole speaker? I've heard others say these work well. Am interested in learning what you think - this is no cheap teak. I use SoundoCity outriggers under mine, with their spikes sitting in large HAL footers on wooden floor. This makes them moveable and I recall when I installed them being quite happy with the sound compared to the stock feet. Am sure others here have tried Stillpoints and can speak directly to your question.

Have you given thought to using smaller stillpoints between modules? I actually use three Aurios per speaker between woofer/mid sections of my Anni IIs and find these to be an improvement over the stock feet or the HAL pads I used for years (though it does mean the tops wobble if you brush against them, which used to cause panic when my son went near them, now just curious concern as he's grown and the speakers have proved more robust than this arrangement might appear).  Of course, it's been a while since I heard the stock feet so I should really put them back in again to see what I think, I know some folks worry about the exact measurements of the original design being altered by using other separators. If I had the chance, I'd like to put some smaller Stillpoints in there too...that is, until I start adding up the cost. I seem to recall a former member hear using various Stillpoints on his larger Vons and reporting good results too.

Keep us posted.

nc42acc

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the reply. I am not using any feet, spikes or footers under the VR5 at the moment. I finally found their best location so it is time to add them. The Stillpoints Ultra SS are the smaller ones I am going to add to the threaded inserts on the bottom of the VR5. I should have them in a week or so and will update the thread. Thanks again.

kernelbob

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:13 am »
I'm using spikes with Giant Gliders with titanium spike receiving plates from Herbies Audio Labs and couldn't be happier with their performance.  These are under my VR100 towers, so they can handle any speaker weight you'll be throwing at them.

The key feature I was looking for was to isolate the speaker from the floor to prevent coupling of the towers' to the floor which is supported by joists.  The main thing I wanted to avoid generating sympathetic vibrations in the floor from the towers and the gliders do just that.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2016, 02:00 pm »
..CMS Rize Footers under my VR5 Annie 1.5s.  The improvement was not subtle..

Welcome to the circle Marty!

nc42acc

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2016, 02:18 pm »
You are the second person to recommend the Rize footers. Where can they be purchased and how much do they cost? Thanks.

gammajo

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2016, 02:19 am »
I used Herbies gliders under the Anni speaker with their stock points, and Herbies VR4 kit between modules and noticed a good difference ABA compared to stock on wood floors. Would love you to try these (At under $200) total and compare to the Stillpoints. When I talked to Stillpoint a few years ago they recommended also doing their product between modules but felt that the biggest difference would be under the speakers.

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:48 pm »
Anyone have experience with the iSoAcoustics stands --http://www.isoacoustics.com/testimonials.php

More pro-audio oriented by the look of them and their site, but they tell me they can make stands for any design, including the VR5s. Not sure I care for the look but they are considerably more affordable than Stillpoints.