The Leftovers

ajzepp

The Leftovers
« on: 2 Jan 2016, 05:54 am »
Anyone seen this show?

Now that Iv'e washed my hands of The Man in the High Castle and gotten the stink off, I'm looking for a new show. I'm going to pick up Jessica Jones where I left off, but I also came across this show on HBO called The Leftovers. (I tend to like the extra edge/grit that shows on cable offer vs network TV shows.) I watched the pilot last night and ended up really being into it.

Have any of you guys seen this show? It appears that there are two full seasons out there to binge on, but after 'High Castle' I'm fearful of getting sucked in by a really good pilot again.

Tomy2Tone

Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2016, 06:12 am »
You know I kinda dig it. It's bizarre and doesn't make sense at first (not sure it ever really does) but I thought the acting and directing was well done. It captivated me for some reason and I can't really say why, which is weird. I think it's one of those shows you just try out and if the first few don't hook you then it probably won't.

There's a major event that happens as the premise of the show but they won't explain why or how this event happened so don't expect answers. It's more like how people deal with this event and in particular this small town that season 1 is based in and the relationships of everybody involved. It's different for sure.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2016, 06:30 pm »
Fresh Air's Terry Gross recently interviewed Damon Lindelof, the show's co-creator and Leftovers author Tom Perrotta. The interview should give you a good idea if you want to dive in.
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=7060034
Scroll down to December 2, 2015

From 'Lost' To HBO's 'Leftovers' Show Creators Embrace The Unknown
Damon Lindelof, the co-creator of HBO's 'The Leftovers,' says he is drawn to "real-world stories where the supernatural can and often does occur." He and author Tom Perrotta discuss the series.

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2016, 06:58 pm »
I've seen every episode and even now I can't decide if I like it or not.
It is really that strange. I feel that the plot twists has a lot to do with
keeping me around but at the same time I think some of them stink.
Maybe not seeing any logic in most of the plots is why I keep going back.
Like so many of the newer shows out there either people love em or
can't stand em.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2016, 05:45 pm »
Well dammit...now I just finished episode 3 and was pretty blown away, but after seeing what you guys have to say, I'm fearful of the "Lost" effect. It just makes me appreciate a show like Fargo...the story arc is contained within a single season, and it feels more like Im being told a story as opposed to "hey, it would be kinda cool if THIS happened", without there really being any sort of ending in mind. While I was emotionally moved by the Lost finale, and loved the episode when I examine it in a vacuum, as soon as I start thinking about it in relation to every episode that came before it, it feels like a major copout and it makes me feel duped by the writers of the show. I don't care what the payoff is, but there NEEDS to be a payoff. When you develop a construct, there needs to be some basis for said construct, and I want to end up knowing something about it in the end.

Ugh...I don't know what to do now...I'm not going to be happy for some multiple-season tease again.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2016, 06:02 pm »
The season 2 theme song pretty much sums up the show. I've come to realize in most of the shows I watch that the journey is really the only thing that keeps me remotely interested. 9 times out of 10 the ending will either be just stupid or disappointing and I keep that in mind most of the time. I guess I've come to just appreciate the arc of the story knowing the writers will probably never meet my expectation for a great ending.

Part of me just enjoys "letting the mystery be..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSH-81yT7s

lowtech

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2016, 06:03 pm »
Best TV series since Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul.  Next season will be the final one.

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2016, 09:24 pm »
Take what I say as just that. I will see this through to the end and not judge it one way or the other.
It is just something that came out of the writers head and like people, we don't always make sense.
If we did then the second season of true detective could have used it.