Bryston 4BSST2 for B&W 802N

satiger

Bryston 4BSST2 for B&W 802N
« on: 30 Dec 2015, 10:57 pm »
I am considering buying Bryston 4BSST2 for B&W Nautilus 802 speakers.

I use this setup primarily for stereo listening. My current setup (2.1)includes the following;

Oppo 105 - as CD transport
 Yamaha V-1800 - as receiver (130W x 7 at 8 Ohms, damping factor 150 @ 8 ohms)
 Speakers : B&W 802 Nautilus fronts, Martin Logan Grotto subwoofer connected to Yamaha

Oppo is connected to Yamaha using analog cables. Yamaha is bi-amped to B&W 802s. They sound very well, highs and mids are excellent. I don't think Yamaha is struggling to drive 802s. Again, what I don't know is what I miss.

Will Bryston 4BSST2 be a good fit for B&W 802N for music listening?. I prefer neutral sound and not looking for high DB. With power amp, I expect to get more detailed and transparent music. Is Bryston 4BSST2 a good choice?. Any feedback / suggestions are appreciated.

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Bryston 4BSST2 for B&W 802N
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:24 am »
I had a pair of B&W 803S speakers at one point that I drove with a Yamaha receiver with roughly your same specs. The speakers were VERY underpowered. The 4B-SST2 will be a MUCH better pairing for your 802 Nautilus speakers.

satiger

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2015, 01:39 am »
Thanks Grit for the quick response. Is SST2 a musical amp?.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2015, 02:10 am »
Loaded question, since 'musical' is subjective.

*My opinion* about music reproduction is that it should be as close as possible to what was recorded. Some components can add, emphasize, de-emphasize, alter the sound. I prefer components that add nothing and simply get out of the way. That is what I feel Bryston's component do (I've never heard their speakers, so i can't comment on them). If you're listening to poor quality recordings though, that might not be very flattering.

I have a 4B-SST2 myself after in-home testing Krell, Anthem, and Ayre. I'm not too great with the audio adjectives to describe what I did or didn't hear. What I CAN tell you is that once I put the Bryston 4B-SST2 amp in, I stopped listening for and hearing what I felt was wrong, and just found myself tapping my foot and enjoying the music. I count that as a win.  :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2015, 02:18 am »
 That really is the bottom line to what is "musical "and what may not be. :thumb:

doveman

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2015, 04:35 am »
If you read a bit about B&W online a lot of people say that they are "power hungry", and sound best when using the upper end of their recommended power.

With B&W 800 series and Bryston I think the following are common

804, and 803 paired with 4BSST2,
802, maybe 4BSST2 but more likely 7BSST2's

I personally use a B135 with my B&W CM5's, the CM5's a bookshelf speakers and small compared to the 802, but I think they are well matched with 135w, I wouldn't really go any less.

I think you are really going to struggle with anything less than a 4BSST2 with any of the 800 series, I've wanted to upgrade to a set of 804d or 803d but don't think my B135 would have enough grunt for that and wouldn't bother unless I was upgrading my amp as well.

satiger

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2015, 01:29 pm »
Great feedback. I am with on 'music SQ'. I want hear what was recorded and not altered by any fashion. Yamahas provide very neutral and non-fatigue listening experience. Hope 4B-SST2 would deliver the same .....

Loaded question, since 'musical' is subjective.

*My opinion* about music reproduction is that it should be as close as possible to what was recorded. Some components can add, emphasize, de-emphasize, alter the sound. I prefer components that add nothing and simply get out of the way. That is what I feel Bryston's component do (I've never heard their speakers, so i can't comment on them). If you're listening to poor quality recordings though, that might not be very flattering.

I have a 4B-SST2 myself after in-home testing Krell, Anthem, and Ayre. I'm not too great with the audio adjectives to describe what I did or didn't hear. What I CAN tell you is that once I put the Bryston 4B-SST2 amp in, I stopped listening for and hearing what I felt was wrong, and just found myself tapping my foot and enjoying the music. I count that as a win.  :thumb:

Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2016, 05:57 am »
I am a 2 channel guy and I run a 4Bsst with B&W 803 D2 speakers and I couldn’t be happier.  I also use a BP-25 pre-amp and I think your choice of here may influence what you hear.  As a source I use a BCD-1.  My set up is very transparent and is not kind to poor recordings but is marvelous with well recorded music.

I don’t think you will be under powered with a 4Bsst2.  I spent a couple of evenings listening to a set of 802’s powered by a 4Bsst2 and BP-26 at the local dealer when I was trying to decide which way to go with speakers.  They were a generation or two prior to the Diamond series and I really enjoyed the set up and I don’t think the volume dial ever passed 10 or 10:30 and it was louder than I typically listen to music.  I ultimately went with the 803’s because they passed my wife’s designer palate better than the fisheye 802’s.

Prior to the 803’s I had a pair of Old Infinity reference speakers and they did require a huge amount of power to drive them.  The 4Bsst was more than up to that task and these speakers were known to be real power hogs, much more so than B&W 800 series.

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2016, 03:02 pm »
I ran my 802 Diamonds with a 4B-SST all the while I had them as my mains (2 or 3 years), I even bi-amped for a while with a 2nd 4B-SST. I didn't really perceive much of a difference with bi-amping. Makes since because the B&W's can't be actively bi-amped. I now power the 802's which are now my surrounds via a 6B-SST. I'm not sure at what point you would "need" to move to 7B-SST2s or 14B-SST2 vs the 4B-SST2. Room size, room acoustics and your desired listening and the major factors here. I never personally had any issues with the 4 in a small to mid room. I could turn up to ear splitting levels without issue.

As was mentioned above I strive for accuracy in music reproduction/playback and that's why I choose Bryston. If I wasn't concerned about accuracy other alternatives could be considered like tube amps for example or any "warm" sounding amps that are voiced a specific way from the manufacturer.

satiger

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2016, 08:49 pm »
Here is the latest update;

I purchased new 4bSST2 from an authorized dealer and have been running with 802N for a week now. I am currently using Yamaha V1800 as pre-amp.

Coming to most important assessment, from the moment I started playing the first song, I loved it. Highs were very detailed and transparent but not as harsh as Rotel 1582 MKII (which I purchased at Magnolia and returned). More Importantly, at least for me, it sounded very neutral and also not forwarding. Rotel mid range was little forwarding which didn't fit my taste.

When I played for few hours on the first day, I noticed bass could be little tighter and staging could be improved. Second day I noticed bass had improved over the previous day.

I also auditioned Ayre AX-5 and AX-7 from a local dealer. During that auditioned, we played Eagles hotel California song. This song has a an overlapping background beat that starts right at when vocal starts ''On a dark desert highway...  ' . I could hear that beat very detailed with AX-5. But with AX-7, Rotel 1582 and Yami V1800 the same beat was very different from AX-5, very mellow - non distinguished. But with 4BSST2 it sounded the same as AX-5!. Impressive!. 

In one other song, I could hear little breathing (inhale) sound in male voice between the lines (at some places of the song) with Yamaha or Rotel. However with 4BSST2, it now very clearly audible at more places. Looks like its very revealing and unforgiving any recording issues/mistakes.

Over all very impressive amp. Took a big risk of buying this without auditioning it. Worked out well for me. I am expecting bass to be little more tight as I burn in. I may have to do some room treatment as well. Thank to all of you for the feedback.

If you have any suggestions to improve SQ further, please share that with me.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm »

I purchased new 4bSST2 from an authorized dealer and have been running with 802N for a week now. I am currently using Yamaha V1800 as pre-amp.

Coming to most important assessment, from the moment I started playing the first song, I loved it. Highs were very detailed and transparent but not as harsh as Rotel 1582 MKII (which I purchased at Magnolia and returned). More Importantly, at least for me, it sounded very neutral and also not forwarding. Rotel mid range was little forwarding which didn't fit my taste.

When I played for few hours on the first day, I noticed bass could be little tighter and staging could be improved. Second day I noticed bass had improved over the previous day.

I also auditioned Ayre AX-5 and AX-7 from a local dealer. During that auditioned, we played Eagles hotel California song. This song has a an overlapping background beat that starts right at when vocal starts ''On a dark desert highway...  ' . I could hear that beat very detailed with AX-5. But with AX-7, Rotel 1582 and Yami V1800 the same beat was very different from AX-5, very mellow - non distinguished. But with 4BSST2 it sounded the same as AX-5!. Impressive!. 

In one other song, I could hear little breathing (inhale) sound in male voice between the lines (at some places of the song) with Yamaha or Rotel. However with 4BSST2, it now very clearly audible at more places. Looks like its very revealing and unforgiving any recording issues/mistakes.

Over all very impressive amp. Took a big risk of buying this without auditioning it. Worked out well for me. I am expecting bass to be little more tight as I burn in. I may have to do some room treatment as well. Thank to all of you for the feedback.

Great News - Enjoy :thumb:

james

Yitshak

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2016, 11:00 am »

a Bryston pre amp.

satiger

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2016, 05:43 pm »

a Bryston pre amp.

Yeap, on my list. However not anytime soon. Just spent on speakers and an amp, will have to wait. Any suggestions on RCA interconnects, isolation blocks?.

Yitshak

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2016, 06:47 pm »
Yeap, on my list. However not anytime soon. Just spent on speakers and an amp, will have to wait. Any suggestions on RCA interconnects, isolation blocks?.

I Found my cables Oasis with TelluriumQ ultra black for almost 2 years know (interconnects and speakers cable).They do deliver the goods with flying colors.

Actually our local TelluriumQ importer came around my house to deliver a Small Naim supernait 2
For my young daughter (a gift from me ).
we seat for a double scotch and I turn my Bryston
Setup with the Mini T in front for a bit of fun.

All connect with TelluriumQ's

Man o man...the look on his face was something to buy cash on.

I heard them on other setup and they do wonder on them as well but
With Bryston gear at begining and end points...it's on different level.

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2016, 05:06 am »

Bryston makes great cables at a very reasonable price and I have used mine for several years.  You can find them at:

https://store.bryston.com

Glad the amp is working out, enjoy

Good Listening,
Mike