Replacing a subwoofer plate amp.

dap7777

Replacing a subwoofer plate amp.
« on: 29 Dec 2015, 06:01 pm »
Anyone have suggestions for a quality 600W plate amp replacement for a large sub?  It appears the amp on my Epik Empire sub is going to be signing off shortly.  Already I have to turn the gain to full to get any output.  Evidently they catch on fire with some frequency.

The Epik Empire is an opposed design, dual 2 x 15" driver, sealed, and I like it enough to try surgery.

Rhythmik plate amps won't work because according to their tech guy theirs are servo amps only and the Epik is not a servo sub.  I see PartsExpress.com has Dayton and Bash and O-Audio plate amps but I have no familiarity with those names.

Any suggestions?

mcgsxr

Re: Replacing a subwoofer plate amp.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2015, 07:06 pm »
I am a long time BASH sub amp user.  In the past 12 years I have used 2.  One died after about 8 years, and the other (now 6-7) is running fine.  Both are/were the 300w units.

I also use a Dayton 500w plate amp, that has been in use for about 4 years now.

I would consider not replacing the plate amp with another plate amp though.  You could remove the existing plate amp, cover the hole with a black piece of wood with binding posts on it, and run an outboard amp of your choosing.  More choices for sure, and potentially better options.

I run outboard amps on both my main floor HT sub, and my big basement HT sub.

If you can find a used Crown XLS 1500 or 2000 it would be a very good sub amp.  I enjoy mine full range running my Maggies, but lots of folks loving the Crown as a sub amp option.  Build in digital Xover etc makes it simple to get up and running.

Good luck!

dap7777

Re: Replacing a subwoofer plate amp.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2015, 07:45 pm »

I run outboard amps on both my main floor HT sub, and my big basement HT sub.

If you can find a used Crown XLS 1500 or 2000 it would be a very good sub amp.  I enjoy mine full range running my Maggies, but lots of folks loving the Crown as a sub amp option.  Build in digital Xover etc makes it simple to get up and running.

mcgsxr:  I am going to look into this outboard amp idea.  Is is simple or kinda hard to set that up, never having done it?  Could you message me pics of your set-up?   Thanks.