why is it normal for bryston amp to shut down and fail to restart?

JustAudio

Hello, I have had years of enjoyment from my Bryston 14B sst amp and it has never failed me all these years. A couple of days ago, the amp suddenly shut down on its own with no indication that it went into protection mode and failed to turn on subsequently. I sent the amp down to the dealer for repair thinking something might have blown. While at the dealer, the amp was able to turn on. I wanted to do some checks on the amp since I didn't think it was normal for the amp to suddenly shut down and not able to turn on. However the dealer insisted that this is very normal and it happened frequently to his other customers. He insisted that there was nothing wrong with the amp and refused to do a cursory check on the amp. So now I am wondering if indeed it is true what the dealer said?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hello, I have had years of enjoyment from my Bryston 14B sst amp and it has never failed me all these years. A couple of days ago, the amp suddenly shut down on its own with no indication that it went into protection mode and failed to turn on subsequently. I sent the amp down to the dealer for repair thinking something might have blown. While at the dealer, the amp was able to turn on. I wanted to do some checks on the amp since I didn't think it was normal for the amp to suddenly shut down and not able to turn on. However the dealer insisted that this is very normal and it happened frequently to his other customers. He insisted that there was nothing wrong with the amp and refused to do a cursory check on the amp. So now I am wondering if indeed it is true what the dealer said?

I do not think that is normal at all - please email Mike Pickett.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Time to find a new dealer.  Maybe time for James to have a little "talk" with the "dealer."    :duh:

JustAudio

An update to this thread. I have emailed Mike but didnt get a reply. Dealer refused to have a look at the amp so had to get it back. Couple of months later, amp failed again. Was not easy  at all to find time to lug such a heavy amp back to the dealer especially with a 15 month old baby and another on the way. Took the dealer a  couple of weeks to diagnose it as a leaking capacitor and the turnaround time to be 1 month. All these could have been avoided if the dealer bothered to take a look at the amp the first time round. Well I am just glad that bryston has a 20 year warranty.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
An update to this thread. I have emailed Mike but didnt get a reply. Dealer refused to have a look at the amp so had to get it back. Couple of months later, amp failed again. Was not easy  at all to find time to lug such a heavy amp back to the dealer especially with a 15 month old baby and another on the way. Took the dealer a  couple of weeks to diagnose it as a leaking capacitor and the turnaround time to be 1 month. All these could have been avoided if the dealer bothered to take a look at the amp the first time round. Well I am just glad that bryston has a 20 year warranty.
\

That should NOT happen - please let me know who the dealer was please.

james

Rod_S

Time to find a new dealer.  Maybe time for James to have a little "talk" with the "dealer."    :duh:

+1 to the comment about the dealer. Maybe it's time they need the boot. That certainty seems like very poor service.

Rod_S

At least it looks like the problem was diagnosed so that's good but like you say it should have been dealt with on the 1st visit. Very odd behaviour on the dealers part.