Creek Audio 4040 Integrated Amp

brooklyn

Creek Audio 4040 Integrated Amp
« on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:48 pm »
Wanting a computer based audio system, recently my younger brother was nice enough to send me his Creek Audio 4040 Integrated Amp that he hasn’t used for many years. I was with him when he bought it some 30 years ago. The amp was made in England and all of the connections are 5 pin din except for the phono which is RCA, the unit looks as new.

The cables that originally came with the unit started to deteriorate, fortunately I was able to find a 5 din to RCA female connection on ebay which is working well so far. I used it to connect my Mac Mini to the Creek so I can listen to my music library. I needed bookshelf speakers to see if the amp even worked which it does and sounds pretty good for the most part. I found a pair of Polk T15’s on sale at Best Buy for 49 bucks, not a bad sounding little speaker.

The Creek does have a phono circuit and while it works there is a constant sputtering sound coming from it even if nothing is connected to it, this is the reason I don’t do vintage. I’m not sure if I should go further at this point or pack it in and get something of better quality.. I’m a plug and play type a guy, well past tinkering with audio equipment. While I can use a phono preamp in another input I would need to buy another connector on ebay to do that about 20 bucks.

I’m not sure if I want to go through anymore trouble and expense then I’m already into just in case something else should go wrong. I can return the speakers and minimize my loses and stay with a headphone base system I’ve been using which sounds excellent.

« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2015, 11:01 pm by brooklyn »

brooklyn

Re: Creek Audio 4040 Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2015, 05:23 pm »
I recently spoke to an old friend of mine who got me started into high end audio back in the late seventies. I mentioned a problem I was having with regard to my headphone amp making an occasional sputtering sound. He said it sounded like a RF type problem. I dismissed it thinking AM radio interference I don’t have.

So I connected the Creek 4040 and hit the disc button (turntable) to play an album and heard a similar sputtering sound but it was constant. My audio and computer system are on the same wall in my bed room, cables everywhere.

The light bulb didn’t go off until this morning when I got up and after I got something in my stomach. I went on line to get up to speed on RF signals and interference. My first thought was my Apple WiFi unit which sits on the shelf above my audio system. I grabbed it in my hand while still connected and the sound almost completely went away.

I disconnected the culprit and sure enough, no more problems. I thought I would mention this to forum members in case anyone is having a similar problem.. I’m listening to my Creek 4040 right now which sounds pretty amazing for a piece of 30 year old audio kit.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2015, 05:30 pm »
I recently spoke to an old friend of mine who got me started into high end audio back in the late seventies. I mentioned a problem I was having with regard to my headphone amp making an occasional sputtering sound. He said it sounded like a RF type problem. I dismissed it thinking AM radio interference I don’t have.

So I connected the Creek 4040 and hit the disc button (turntable) to play an album and heard a similar sputtering sound but it was constant. My audio and computer system are on the same wall in my bed room, cables everywhere.

The light bulb didn’t go off until this morning when I got up and after I got something in my stomach. I went on line to get up to speed on RF signals and interference. My first thought was my Apple WiFi unit which sits on the shelf above my audio system. I grabbed it in my hand while still connected and the sound almost completely went away.

I disconnected the culprit and sure enough, no more problems. I thought I would mention this to forum members in case anyone is having a similar problem.. I’m listening to my Creek 4040 right now which sounds pretty amazing for a piece of 30 year old audio kit.

Hi brooklyn,
thanks for sharing this with us.
When I get back on planet Vietnam,
I will try my old Bellari VP-129 phono stage with which I had a similar problem,
might be my Wi-Fi ????
Cost no $$$ to try.

Guy 13

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2015, 05:56 pm »
I had a Creek 4030 and always thought it was a very nice amp.

brooklyn

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2015, 06:16 pm »
I'm amazed the 4040 still functions perfectly and sounds wonderful. My only dilemma is
if I should get a better pair of bookshelf speakers like the Music Hall Marimbas which got
positive audio press and can be had for 200 bucks right now or just keep the Polk T15 which
do a nice job for the money I paid. I don't have a lot of experience with bookshelf speakers.