Vintage Sony CD changer question/concern

vonnie123

Vintage Sony CD changer question/concern
« on: 26 Dec 2015, 07:52 am »
Greetings and Merry Christmas to all.

I have a 1993 Sony CD changer, CDP-601ES.  One of several sources I use.  The thing went crazy nuts last night, and started skipping.  So I paused it, and opened up the front drawer, and looked at the discs.  3 of 5 of  the discs had an oily sheen on them, some with spotting which looked like a pattern of the disc spinning from the center spindle outward due to centrifugal force.  The disc I was playing at the moment of failure being the worst, two were clean, and two discs had only a small amount of oil on them.

I cleaned all of the discs, and the changer now seems to work fine, and the discs remain clean after a few hours of play.  Without cracking open the player, has anyone on the board have a similar experience of a leaky motor, or something which would cause the above mentioned type of disc debris.  The player is 22 years old, so I'm kind of attached to it, although I guess it's overdue. 

geowak

Re: Vintage Sony CD changer question/concern
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2015, 04:59 pm »
I don't have this model, but I can say this. The Sony ES model(s) of CD players are outstanding. I think they are better than many other manufacturers and designs. I use mine as a transport now, but if my ext DAC needed to get repaired, I could listen to the stock Sony player without any problems. I think it's very good, sounds very musical and built better that 90% of the CD players out there. Good luck

AVnerdguy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2015, 06:25 pm »
I don't have this model, but I can say this. The Sony ES model(s) of CD players are outstanding. I think they are better than many other manufacturers and designs. I use mine as a transport now, but if my ext DAC needed to get repaired, I could listen to the stock Sony player without any problems. I think it's very good, sounds very musical and built better that 90% of the CD players out there. Good luck
Serviced many Sony (and other CD units that used the same transport) over the years and there is no oil or lubricant light enough to cause that type of issue. The motors are "dry" and have no oil to speak of. The mechanisms are lubricated with a white lithium based grease that does not migrate unless exposed to very high temps which would cause it to spread. Perhaps one of the discs inserted into the machine had a contaminate on it that was flung to the others when the disc spun up to read the library (starts in the center and moves outwards). A mystery to be sure. As you said, you cleaned the discs, played them and see no further issues so you may solved the problem.

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2015, 12:44 am »
So far so good.  I'll keep my eye on it.  Thanks for the responses.