BCD-1 (No Disc)

donpinar

BCD-1 (No Disc)
« on: 25 Dec 2015, 09:30 pm »
I went to play some music today and put on some christmas carols for the kids to listed to while they unwrapped their gifts. I put the disc in the player and pushed play and nothing happened. All i get is NO DISC on the display and that's it. I changed the batteries in the remote just for heck of it and of course it made no difference. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a trouble shooting routine to figure this out or do I have something more serious happening here. This is the first problem I have had with the unit and before this glitch I am EXTREMELY happy with the deck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

richidoo

Re: BCD-1 (No Disc)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2015, 10:22 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Don, and Merry Christmas!

Old thread that might be of interest...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79160.0

Try a different, plain jane redbook CD. Not hybrid SACD or anything weird.

Standard procedure for misbehaving electronics with microprocessors is to unplug for a few minutes to let all caps discharge, then try again. Good luck!
Rich

donpinar

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm »
Ya I gave that a shot and unplugged the unit for 10 minutes and tried it again with various CD's that I know played fine yesterday. No matter what disc I put in it keeps coming up as NO DISC on the display. I guess I'll wait for a couple of days and see if anyone lease has experienced this problem on the forum and then off to service I guess. It's just strange that it started doing this out of the blue, I haven't moved it or unplugged etc. etc. and it starts acting up. Anyway thanks for the quick reply and I'll see if anyone else may have some ideas or have been through this problem before.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2015, 11:30 pm »
Any bad weather there? Maybe a surge from neighborhood lightning or carpet static shock?

Hopefully you have other music machines going!

donpinar

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2015, 02:38 am »
Yes actually we had the circuit breaker trip a couple of times over the last few days. You think that may have done it?I do have a Xindak power supply system but its not really that sophisticated of a unit.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2015, 02:42 am »
I posted about the BCD-1 several years ago. The unit worked fine for about 3 years of everyday use. Then quirky things started happening to the point that I thought I had a poltergeist in my audio room.

I sent it in for service and then sold it and bought BDA-1. The BDA-1 when level matched with volume level on computer sounded identical to the BCD-1.

Anyway I read somewhere on the internet the fault lies with the Philips drive. Which maybe the reason the unit has been discontinued. :|

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2015, 03:06 am »
Now that I recall I posted a short video on Youtube where I captured my unit turning on by itself. Don't recall off hand what I named the video, but I may still have the link on my computer.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2015, 03:31 am »
What happens if the unit is turned on with a disc in it already?

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2015, 03:57 am »
Now that I recall I posted a short video on Youtube where I captured my unit turning on by itself. Don't recall off hand what I named the video, but I may still have the link on my computer.

Found it, I took the video with my hand held camera which is why it's so shakey. Never used this feature on the camera before or since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylbJSnj5bA

donpinar

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2015, 04:38 am »
Yes there is no difference when trying to start play with a disc already in the tray. The unit is not recognizing any disc I try to play. It's just kind of bizarre as I used the unit last night and all was well. I go to play a disc today and it won't play. Just displays NO DISC like it doesn't see a disc loaded...strange.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2015, 11:21 am »
Yes there is no difference when trying to start play with a disc already in the tray. The unit is not recognizing any disc I try to play. It's just kind of bizarre as I used the unit last night and all was well. I go to play a disc today and it won't play. Just displays NO DISC like it doesn't see a disc loaded...strange.

Hi

Sounds like a drive issue - please email Mike at Bryston and we will get it sorted for you.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

donpinar

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2015, 04:13 pm »
Thanks James. I can only go so long without my BCD-1, I love the sound it provides and until the next evolution of this machine is built I have to nurse this one along accordingly.  :duh:

mkaiser

« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2015, 05:05 pm »
I went to play some music today and put on some christmas carols for the kids to listed to while they unwrapped their gifts. I put the disc in the player and pushed play and nothing happened. All i get is NO DISC on the display and that's it. I changed the batteries in the remote just for heck of it and of course it made no difference. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a trouble shooting routine to figure this out or do I have something more serious happening here. This is the first problem I have had with the unit and before this glitch I am EXTREMELY happy with the deck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I could only suggest that the BCD1 is repelled by Christmas carols, have you tried anything else?  :lol:

donpinar

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2015, 11:21 pm »
Yes, unfortunately the deck doesn't care for a "Very Carpenters Christmas" (not my disc) but it won't play Stevie Ray Vaughan either. Oh well as long as I can get it figured out soon as I use it every day. I'm getting close to biting the bullet and getting a BDA-1/2 but will always want the BCD -1 around as well. I'm also hoping a new CD drive will come to fruition in the very near future as I will be first in line for that deck :D

rmurray

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2015, 02:33 pm »
  Yes , I am another cd lover that still hopes that 2016 will bring forth  the BCD2 :thumb: :bowdown: