Magneplanar MG 10QR

hawkeye99

Magneplanar MG 10QR
« on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:54 pm »
Where does this model fall in the pecking order? What years were the made? Can't find a whole lot of info on them. Thanks.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: Magneplanar MG 10QR
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2015, 03:18 pm »
circa '92-'97

GREAT speakers. I just recently sold my modded 10.1QR (circa '98-'00), which for me was a better speaker than the 1.6QR in many ways, especially imaging. I attribute this largely due to the fact that these are among the narrowest of the Magnepen speakers. The downside is that the "10" series require a subwoofer (or two) as the bass quickly rolls off below about 80hz.

http://granny.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/articles/speakers.html

hawkeye99

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2015, 12:03 am »
Thanks for the info krikor. I grabbed a pair today. We'll give them a go.

hawkeye99

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:29 am »
It took me a few days to figure out that one of the speakers were out of phase. Imaging was all over the place. It looks like one of the previous owners modified them for bi-wiring. I took the cover off of the back to look at the wiring and they were both wired differently. So I rewired them so that they at least matched and they sound a lot better. I've looked everywhere for a picture of the original wiring but can't find anything. Or finding out something about the mod for the bi-wiring would be nice just to double check if it's set up properly. I'll keep my eyes open.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm »
I just heard from Wendell and he says to call Magnepan and contact Sheila in the Service Department, she can help you out.

hawkeye99

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm »
I just heard from Wendell and he says to call Magnepan and contact Sheila in the Service Department, she can help you out.

Thanks Steve!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2015, 10:30 pm »
My pleasure, enjoy your speakers.

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2016, 04:28 pm »
There's a couple of 10 schematics on the AA.  A 10R must be the same/similar with a single inductor and capacitor?
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/mg10xo.gif
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/mg10.1xo.gif

If the speaker has been modified, wire coloring and/or other aspects might be changed so Sheila's advice might not be pertinent.

I suggest you can determine proper wiring simply by listening with pink noise.  Play the woofers by themselves and verify left/right are in phase with each other.  Do the same thing with the tweeters by themselves.  Then connect both sets of drivers and listen for awhile.  Reverse the polarity of both tweeters and listen for awhile again.  The proper wiring will exhibit a fuller more filled in sound in the crossover region.....which is fairly broad in this case.  It will be easy to identify the proper relative polarity of tweeters and woofers with this simple test.

Cheers,

Dave.

hawkeye99

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:17 am »
Thanks Dave. I'll try that first.