The DBs have B-A-S-S

gaderson

The DBs have B-A-S-S
« on: 21 Oct 2004, 04:26 am »
I got a pair of the DB1Ss recently and am amazed at the bass that comes from these little guys.  
Now it's not like a larger speaker, but, since the drop off on the bass is so gradual I can hear the full range of the recording.  I've been digging through all my CDs and LPs to listen anew.  I'm moving from a pair of dynaudioacoustics BM15 (passive 4 Ohm studio monitors with 10" woofer--ported). I'll need to hook them back up to see, but, playing lots of drum'n'bass I finally hear the basslines, not just an impression of them.  My feeling is that the quasi-transmission loading of these speakers is the reason, but, still I'm amazed. (Signal chain Turntables-mixer/Sony DVD/SACD->BP-25 to 4B-ST-Pro; I gather with 250 W per side I'm getting an excellent signal to them.)  Anyone with experience adding the XB1-P for 'extended frequency range'?

Now, these have really gotten me energized to start upgrading my surround sound setup.  Currenly I have six identical Blueroom Minipods powered by my Bryston 9B-ST-THX, with center back by my Yamaha.  Fully populating my 9B with all channels was a major improvment to the sound.  Now, both looking for a pre/processor, and thinking of speaker upgrades.

So, now it's DB1(+)s or TB2(+)s?  I don't have a very large room (just under 2000 cu. ft.) and mosly playing movies, so the question is are the TB2s a good step up, or due to the x-over in most soundtracks will the DB1s be quite adaquate.  (I've already got a UFW-10 sub from Rocket) so just looking for the main channels.

Then with a processor (looking hard at the SP, it is very expensive and doesn't have quite all the bells and whistles, but, it's built well, proportioned well, and doesn't have any extraneous video switching--question what would be the price to upgrade to the 1.7, and add a 19" rackmount face?)  I don't have amplification for a center back channel, so...would a 2 LP be adaquate, or overkill?  The real though is to eventually go to a large pair for the fronts (FB1s, OB1s, AB2s, IB1s, etc.) with PowerPacs so I can then use the 9B for the other 7 channels.

ec

The DBs have B-A-S-S
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2004, 07:54 pm »
At one time I was looking at DB1's for my second system to replace Energy Take 5's.  Yes the DB1's are in a totally different league and the price differential reflects this.  IMHO, a 2B LP should be enough for the rear speakers.

I like the DB1. TB2, AB2 and IB1's because the centre channel is the exact same cabinet and driver complement as the "upright" counterparts.  With the DB1's and bass management I think you will be fine for a while.  I am in a similar boat as you. The next logical step for me (TB2's all around) is to move to a true full range speaker like the IB1, IB2 or MB2 but this won't happen till I get a bigger place.