Maggie .7 and class d amp --- suggestions?

jaylevine

Re: Maggie .7 and class d amp --- suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2016, 07:14 pm »
One of the better buys out there is the Class D Audio 470C (spring for the upgraded power supply @ $795 all in); one nice feature of the amp is that it has adjustable gain settings, which can certainly come in handy.

I've also heard D-Sonics, which are excellent, but almost twice the price of the Class D. They're definitely better than the Class Ds - it just depends on your budget. With the D-Sonic (stereo versions), though, you're into the high $1K low $2K region (depending on the model you choose) – in which case I'd stretch to the Pascal-based Red Dragon S500. Beautifully built, powerful, and refined, especially in the highs. 

FWIW, if you're on a budget and open to non-Class D, a great and often overlooked option that drives the sh*t out of the Maggies is the Anthem 225 integrated. It's a brute...a very underrated partner. You can often find one used for under $1K, and you won't have to worry about a preamp. Doesn't break a sweat running the Maggies.

Good luck!

Well, I pulled the trigger on a D-Sonic M3 800S (stereo version). I'm not going to do the .7 Maggies though--invested in a pair of small monitors w/stands cause no matter how I rearrange the furniture, there is no way to make the room work short of reducing it to a chair and the .7s.....first world problems I guess, or at least that is what my wife keeps telling me.

THanks for all of the advice. Will be happy to report back on the D-Sonics if anyone is interested.