Exporting parametric EQ filters as an impulse response WAV

brj

Hello all.

I have an active system in which the frequency splitting between drivers is handled by an analog line level crossover, but the driver EQ is handled digitally.  (This is not room EQ - these are the adjustments to the individual driver responses that would normally be handled by a passive crossover in a more traditional system.)  Many of the playback tools that I've started auditioning support AU or VST plugins, and there are multiple parametric EQ plugins that let me program in the 6 needed filters directly.  (Frequency, gain and Q.)  I want to take a look at HQPlayer, but it can only handle such filters if I save their combined impulse response as WAV.  (I'd then turn on the convolution engine in HQPlayer and it would convolve the impulse response with the live audio feed to produce the modified output stream.)

So with that background...  I'm looking for tools to program in my 6 parametric EQ filters and generate an impulse response file saved as a WAV.  It appears that Room EQ Wizard can do so and save it at up to 32 bit and 192 kHz.  Does anyone know of a tool that generates an even higher resolution file?  Bonus points if it's free and runs on a Mac.  (I can run a virtual Windows installation if I have to, but try to avoid it.)

While I'm at it... does anyone know of a tool that would visualize the WAV files such that I could verify the filters?  (I do have a protective cap on my tweeter, but I'm still always a bit cautious about such changes...)

Thank you!

brj

Re: Exporting parametric EQ filters as an impulse response WAV
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2015, 10:50 am »
To respond to my own post, it looks like FuzzMeasure also maxes out at 32 bit / 192 kHz:

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/fuzzmeasure/specs/

I emailed the Acourate folks to see what their product can handle.  (Though I'd have to run it in my VirtualBox virtual Windows 10 machine.)

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2015, 04:04 pm »
Perhaps you could upsample the impulse response, using say http://audiventory.com/content/sample-rate-converter ?

With regard to visualizing the impulse response files, I think (without looking) that you could import them into REW.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2015, 06:05 pm »
I heard back from Acourate... they can output at 64 bit / 192 kHz, so they lead the pack at the moment.

As I do more reading, it looks like many of the more generally termed "digital room correction" software tools that support convolution engines can export filter impulse responses as WAV files, so I'll ping the Dirac Live and AudioLense folks as well, unless someone happens to have the data handy.

As an aside, the more I read about this approach, the more interested I become.  I originally looked at convolving filter impulse responses because HQPlayer uses this approach and, as far as I know, HQPlayer is the only product that can apply EQ to DSD files.  I still favor multiple subs and room treatments vs. "room correction" implemented frequency response adjustments, but impulse correction and the ability to specify target curves driven by psychoacoustics and personal preference may be worth exploring.

Quote from: JohnR
Perhaps you could upsample the impulse response, using say http://audiventory.com/content/sample-rate-converter?

Yes, most likely, though I wanted to see what was possible before taking that step.

Quote from: JohnR
With regard to visualizing the impulse response files, I think (without looking) that you could import them into REW.

:duh:   Can't believe I didn't look for an "import" when I found the "export"... good thought!  Yep, a quick check of the help files online shows that it can.  Thanks!

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:18 pm »
Hm, I doubt you can get an impulse response from Dirac Live, partly because it's a closed system (they provide the algorithm generator and the playback engine) but also because they use (as far as I can tell) a mixture of FIR and IIR to implement their "mixed phase" algorithm.