Can anyone recommend a good vintage turntable for under $1k

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Can anyone recommend a good vintage turntable for under $1k
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:06 pm »
I like the Thorens tables, but IMO they don't come up to the VPI HW 19 series in sound quality.  Thus why the VPI's command higher prices on the used market.  With either the Jelco or Rega arms you get a better quality arm than the Thorens TP series, and the table is quieter with more retrieval of both macro and micro dynamics.  Additionally, there's an easier upgrade path with the VPI tables.  Note that this is a broad generalization because of the many different tables from each manufacturer, with the assumption applied that you are most likely encountering a 160 or 145 Thorens, or a Mark II or III VPI.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2015, 03:25 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a SOTA TT.  WIth a basic tonearm (MMT?) they should be well under a grand.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:15 pm »
I like the Thorens tables, but IMO they don't come up to the VPI HW 19 series in sound quality.  Thus why the VPI's command higher prices on the used market.  With either the Jelco or Rega arms you get a better quality arm than the Thorens TP series, and the table is quieter with more retrieval of both macro and micro dynamics.  Additionally, there's an easier upgrade path with the VPI tables.  Note that this is a broad generalization because of the many different tables from each manufacturer, with the assumption applied that you are most likely encountering a 160 or 145 Thorens, or a Mark II or III VPI.

I have a HW19 mk IV, love it, so couldn't agree more.  The downside to having an upgrade path is you end up spending more in the long run if you start small and work your way up.  So get the best HW19 you can afford. IIRC,  upgrading a mk III to IV is less complicated than going from a Jr to a III.  Don't hold me to that though.  On the other hand you may be totally satisfied with a Jr and never upgrade it.

luckyguy

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:25 pm »
Along Thunderbrick's line of thinking, I've had an updated and tuned AR table together with a Shure V-15 type 2 or 3 with original stylus.  Ran close to friend's Linn with a 1200.00 cartridge.  Paired with a Mac 240, analog was outstanding.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm »
That Thorens looks like it is 220v.  You can buy a good step up converter for $25. 

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:11 pm »
From the posts here, I guess I have come closer to what I am looking for. A VPI HW 19 Mark II or III would do the trick.
This is the TT I had almost finished a deal on, when the seller decided to keep it. It had an older Audio Technica tonearm, but the fact I could change or update that component was important to me.

It seems that I will go that route, if I don't decide to save more money and get a VPI Classic. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2015, 01:39 pm »
A friend of mine, a fellow AC'er states that that Thoren's TT has a jumper that changes the rating from 220v to 110v.