Sansui AU-719 and ST's

Alexdad54

Sansui AU-719 and ST's
« on: 15 Dec 2015, 12:43 am »
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried a vintage integrated with the ST's with any success. I was thinking of trying a fully restored Sansui AU-719 with my ST's just for fun and because I'v read about them for years. Unfortunately, I've read that the Sansui could have significant heat issues due to the nominal 4ohm impedance of the ST's if I run them at a high volume level.
Can anyone confirm this?
I'm currently using a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum and really like it but I wanted an SS option that had a similar sound.
If the Sansui won't work, I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any....

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Sansui AU-719 and ST's
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2015, 12:59 am »
The AU-719 is a great amp, and should have no issues with a 4 ohm load. Restored how and by who?? This is important, as these do have "glue syndrome" that needs to be addressed for reliability.

Alexdad54

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2015, 02:13 am »
Thanks, it's being restored by a gentleman on Vancouver Island who details his work quite extensively on Canuck Audiomart. The glue, fusistors, bad caps, etc. are all dealt with. I'm primarliy concerned abour the heat issue due to the mismatching impedance. Some people have reported that it heats up a fair bit at higher volumes with 4 ohm speakers.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2015, 04:29 am »
Yes, it will run warmer at higher volumes with 4 ohms, but I doubt very seriously the ST's present too dangerous of a load. It is OK if the amp gets a bit hot. Plenty of heatsink there to handle the job.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm »
It should be no problem at all.  The SongTowers average about 6 ohms and only dip to 4 ohms in two very narrow frequency bands.  I don't see any issues.

- Jim

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2015, 04:19 pm »
Thanks for the info Paul and Jim, this is very helpful. BTW, Jim, the new speaker installed perfectly on the ST, thanks for your help! :thumb:
Cheers,
Dave