Albert and LSA?

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Albert and LSA?
« on: 14 Dec 2015, 11:54 pm »
Recently I was at a friend's house listening to his VSA Vr 4-jrs. and  I mentioned that I recently bought a pair of LSA .5s and thought that the voicing of the LSAs sounded VERY similar to my VSA VR-1s. Without missing a beat, he said "Everybody knows that Albert was involved in designing the LSAs". Well, apparently not quite everybody. I did a search and found little to confirm this. This very question was asked on AC in 2009 but received nonresponse :
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72613.msg681018#msg681018

Does anyone know the answer?

Cheerio,
KP

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Albert and LSA?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2015, 10:18 am »
Although it was to be kept a secret, it is true that I designed LSA's original lineup, which I understand, sold quite well considering it was an unknown brand.  They later had a Chinese designer take my recipe and came out with "newer and better" models which quickly failed.  Although I'm not certain, one of their customers told me that they're now out of business. 

An interesting side note: they never paid my design fee, claiming that they had run out of money.  As I had done the work for a casual friend trying to create a job for him and his family, I trusted him.  As he was disabled, I decided to let him off the hook- I felt it was the humane thing to do. There are a lot of more important things in life than just making money.  How about making the world a friendlier place for all of us?

As always,

Happy Listening and Happy Holidays, my friends.

A.V.S.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2015, 01:53 pm »
Thanks Albert. Happy Holidays.
KP

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:09 pm »
I recall reading recently that Walter Liederman (Underwood HiFi) has bought LSA - whether that's accurate or not, he's selling the speakers at knock down prices.

StereoNut

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:18 pm »
...There are a lot of more important things in life than just making money.  How about making the world a friendlier place for all of us?

As always,

A.V.S.

Albert, your post just made my WHOLE day!  God Bless.

Bill
(SN)

mca

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:32 pm »
They later had a Chinese designer take my recipe and came out with "newer and better" models which quickly failed.

I am guessing that is why Underwood HiFi is selling them for dirt cheap...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:35 pm »
Correct.
I recall reading recently that Walter Liederman (Underwood HiFi) has bought LSA - whether that's accurate or not, he's selling the speakers at knock down prices.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2015, 08:28 pm »
I am guessing that is why Underwood HiFi is selling them for dirt cheap...

So we can assume that the LSA1s being offered by Underwood have no Albert dna in them? Or would that only be true for the later LSA models?

Thanks,
KP

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2015, 08:41 pm »
I used to own a pair of Mobile Fidelity OML-1s which are also similar - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mobile-fidelity-oml-1-any-thoughts-opinions

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2015, 06:12 am »
Correct.

I didn't know that. So Brian W. and John T. are out of the picture entirely now? We parted ways when they decided to go factory direct/underwood as we would have to compete with the gray market. We're still friends though. We've been in touch now and again but Brian never said anything about selling, just a shift in distribution policy.

I know the amps have been discontinued.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2015, 02:24 pm »
Jack,
All I know is Walter Liedeman bought LSA a few months ago.

I didn't know that. So Brian W. and John T. are out of the picture entirely now? We parted ways when they decided to go factory direct/underwood as we would have to compete with the gray market. We're still friends though. We've been in touch now and again but Brian never said anything about selling, just a shift in distribution policy.

I know the amps have been discontinued.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2015, 02:38 pm »
I believe the "Statement" are the ones that drifted from the original. The LSA2 is allot of speaker for the money, and I mean ALLOT! Just stay away from the Statement's and they should be just fine.

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2015, 05:27 am »
Jack,
All I know is Walter Liedeman bought LSA a few months ago.

Thanks Hugh.

gme109

« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2015, 06:09 pm »
Although it was to be kept a secret, it is true that I designed LSA's original lineup, which I understand, sold quite well considering it was an unknown brand.  They later had a Chinese designer take my recipe and came out with "newer and better" models which quickly failed.  Although I'm not certain, one of their customers told me that they're now out of business. 

An interesting side note: they never paid my design fee, claiming that they had run out of money.  As I had done the work for a casual friend trying to create a job for him and his family, I trusted him.  As he was disabled, I decided to let him off the hook- I felt it was the humane thing to do. There are a lot of more important things in life than just making money.  How about making the world a friendlier place for all of us?

As always,

A.V.S.

Couldn't agree more :thumb: