Two paths taken - budget and audiophile - is there that much of a difference?

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
That is where I was headed if i had kept going. It's called shopping, finding cheaper gear that does what more expensive gear does. You can't do it unless you know how to shop or what you want from any particular piece. Not you, but there are people on this thread that have resigned to that with the only criteria "measurements".  So if a piece measures the same it therefore will sound the same. That is the "agenda" of this thread. It is not to help new comers build and feel good about system building. That is a load of bullshit. It's only message is that all gear sounds the same when measures the same. If you pay more for that piece you are getting ripped off. Look at the title of the thread "Two Paths Taken -  budget and audiophile - is there much of a difference?" Then the entire context of the thread is about price. Its an agenda driven CON JOB cleverly disguised as a humanitarian mission to help new comers with their hobby.

What exactly are you accusing me of werd?  Who am I conning, how am I benefiting, and how are others being harmed?  You're making a very serious charge.

The only bullshit stinking up this thread is the personal axe you have to grind against me, and it is very uncool.  Let me take you to school and straighten you out on what I said, because I don't think you even bothered to read very much, if any of it.

Here is what I said about the Nottingham.

How much better is the Nottingham Space 294 than the Pioneer PLX-1000?  Does it sound $6,800 better?

Since having both of these tables set up and in use now for a while I haven't really given that a great deal of thought.  I use the Pioneer PLX-1000 for most vintage stereo vinyl, and for all of my mono LPs (vintage and audiophile).  I use the Nottingham Space 294 for all of my audiophile stereo pressings (I own enough of them to make having this turntable worthwhile).  Before I bought the Nottingham, I was listening to my audiophile vinyl on the Pioneer and was completely satisfied.  That being the case, the more expensive Nottingham does not sound all that much better than the Pioneer.  I know that may shock some people, especially those who believe that cost closely correlates to performance.  I have never held that view, and have long believed that in the audio game the point of diminishing returns is much lower than what is widely accepted by most audiophiles.  My feeling is that if you are going to spend lavishly anywhere in your set up, buy the best pair of loudspeakers you can afford.  Now, some might be quick to point out that I am biased and therefore my experience is nothing more than a self-fullfilling prophecy.  It would be hard to argue otherwise.  However, this is not a case where I bought a budget turntable and then argued against audiophile class gear that I haven't heard.  Moreover, no one sent the Nottingham to me to try.  I bought the turntable with my own money.

Now ask me if I think the Nottingham turntable is worth the price of admission.  Damn skippy it is.  The turntable is over-engineerd, a work of analogue engineering art, and a fine performing turntable.  I have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase.  I didn't buy it because I was expecting it to leave the Pioneer PLX-1000 in the dust performance-wise.

So my advice to people considering a turntable is this: 1) If you have $50,000 burning a hole in your pocket and won't miss the money then go for it, and buy yourself any one of a number of boutique audio turntables in that price class that catches your eye.  It will give you and your audio friends a lot to talk about and it will certainly sound great.  On the other hand, if you are expecting it to sound $47,000 better than someone's $3K rig then that probably is not going to be the case and you are likely to be disappointed.  At that high of a price you zoomed past the point of diminishing returns 10s of thousands of dollars ago.  2)  For someone who is trying to strech their audio dollars and has a modest amount of money to play with, don't fret.  You don't need to spend a lot to get a lot in terms of performance.  You do need to spend some, however.  What I would advise against is over-extending yourself financially to get something like, say, an Origin Live Resolution when a direct drive like the Pioneer PLX-1000 and a solid performing MC cartridge like the AT-OC9/III are easily within reach.  It might not win a beauty contest but it will damn sure make excellent sounding music.

Here is what I said when asked if I thought the iPhono was holding back the performance of the Nottingham

No I really don't believe so.  But I think it is fair to say that I do not hold to conventional audiophile wisdom on these matters -- meaning I don't agree that things always improve when you throw more money at your system.  I have owned some expensive phono preamps over the years, including a $4,500 Aesthetix Rhea that disappointed me greatly given its cost, to other units that I did not feel delivered performance that was commensurate with their asking price.  They were good, to be sure, but I found comparable and sometimes better performance in more sensibly priced units.

I like the iPhono because:

1. To my ears it does not color the sound
2. It doesn't add noise to the signal path.
3. Has adjustable gain up to 66db and adjustable loading from 47K to 33 ohms.
4. Has a subsonic filter (I don't use it but I think it is a plus that the iPhono has it).
5. Has six EQ curves

Also, iFi Audio publishes the full specifications of the product including frequency response, dynamic range, and S-N ratio, etc..  So I give them props for that because it is something you seldom see.

That said, it always pays to do your homework and to try before you buy if possible.

Here is one general comment I made about differences that I perceive in audio gear.

Does all this mean that I don't think there are audible differences between components?  Of course not.  I find that I can easily pick out differences -- in cases where differences actually exist -- between phono cartridges and speakers when I am listening to them side by side.  But some audible differences, at least in my experience, are difficult for me to pick out in isolation, not being able to compare directly.  For example, I used to own a pair of Omega Max Hemp single driver speakers.  I owned them for about 3 years and was very, very happy with them.  Then I changed them out for a pair of Audiokinesis Custom Planetarium Alphas.  When the new speakers went in I immediately noticed that cymbals and hi-hats sounded more realistic then they did on my Omegas.  Why then, did I not notice that the Omegas sound on these instruments was "lacking?"  Because they were accurate enough to suspend my disbelief, that's why.  And that is usually all that is required for enjoyable audio performance.  What about differences between other components?  I hear much less of a difference with preamps, power amplifiers, and phono preamps.  Cables?  Don't get me started on cables.  If someone else believes they make a big audible difference then I'm happy for them.  My experience doesn't agree and I'll leave it at that.

Neo asked me "Would it be fair to say that your opinion(s) might change with different combinations of components?  What about if someone else tried your exact combinations of equipment, might they have a different opinion?"

To the first question I replied:

Absolutely.  However, at this stage there is very little motivation for me to pursue such experiments.  That is not to say the mood won't strike me at some point down the road.  Hell, I was very happy with my old Garrard 401 rig but then out of nowhere decided that it was time for a change.  So I won't say never and anything can happen.

And to the second question I answered:

Indeed they might.  To insist otherwise would assume all listeners are the same.

I challenge you to point out one place in this topic where I have said that all gear sounds the same.  Don't bother trying because you can't do it.  I can only comment on what I have had personal experience with.  I have owned a total of 4 different phono preamps that sell for between $2,000 and $5,000.  In my opinion none of them performed better than the iPhono I use now, or the RSA Nighthawk I used to own.  Take that with a large grain of salt if you like but I am not going to lie about my experience so you can feel more secure about your personal preferences.  What I have said on a number of occasions is that cost does not always correlate with performance.  That has been my experience and I stand by that statement.  If I had known that you would find the topic title personally offensive I might have titled it differently.  Had I known that some here have such fragile psyches and would feel threatened by this thread I would have probably thought twice about posting it.  What exactly are you afraid of?  That this little thread might put Bryston out of business or start the downfall of high end audio?  :lol:

You don't like me?  How terrible for you.  Get over it.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm by jsaliga »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I hope my upcoming cheapie vintage DAC/transport write up doesn't become quite so heated.
I do have an ulterior motive: to bring the Bose Corporation to it's knees.
Stay tuned!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Only Bose?  Some seem to think my comments threaten an entire industry!   :lol:

Looking forward to your DAC/transport write up.

--Jerome

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Jerome,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations, insights and opinions about your equipment. I found the write-up to be thoughtful, articulate, well reasoned and helpful.

Mike

tmazz

Measurements are very important, but agree they are not the be all/end/all.  For example, tube amps do not measure as well on the whole as sand amps, but many people find them to be more musical than SS amps.   The technical principals of operation differences between tubes and SS amps account for the differences in sound.  I have both tube and SS amp/preamp setups, and enjoy each for their individual strengths.  However, to really get the best from tubes, you either have to spend a lot, or, go DIY to get the best from a price/performance aspect. 

Absolutely, It would be really tough to use measurement specs to compare SS and Tube amps for the reason you stated, but on the other hand there might very well be information to be had comparing specs among SS  or among tube amps. Although once I used specs to narrow down the field, the final determination would have to come from my own personal listening.  Measurements are tool, and like any tool you must know when and where it is appropriate to use them.... and just as importantly, when not to use them.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
There is going to be a lot of variation in approach because people place different emphasis on the value of specifications and measurements.  Some think they are totally irrelevant and only go by what they hear, others use them in combination with other information (reviews, testimonials, auditions), and some think they are all that really matter.  I want to see the technical data first before I will go to the trouble of trying to audition something.  I typically prefer to be as well informed as possible when evaluating something for purchase.  But that doesn't always apply.  There is virtually no technical data on the Nottingham Space 294 yet I went forward with a purchase anyway.  However, this is a very rare exception for me and not the rule.

I can only judge what works for me; what someone else does is none of my concern.

--Jerome

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  As a dealer and audiophile I can can tell everyone that there are differences in performance of expensive gear and less expensive gear. period.
     However not always a difference that the price dictates. There are overachievers like Oddessey and Iphono, Belkin digital cable as some examples.
      The question is after hearing the small difference is it worth the money ? That is subjective and personal choice. From my 45+ years around audio it is putting together a system that has synergy. I see people spend crazy money yet only go sideways with not much of an improvement for money spent.
    It is a business remember that. The late Harry Pearson was instrumental in creating the high end. Which allowed IMO price jumps to crazy land. One suggestion was to relegate 10% of system cost for cabling. Well you go into a fancy brick and mortar sit down with a glass of wine and the show begins. It is easy to get caught up with the eye candy and lure of owning "the best"
     There is NO BEST just different. Let your ears be the judge in your own system. Directly compare a so called state of the art component as a reference to a lessor brand. you will find that there is a difference. So again is that difference worth it  ? To each his or her own.

charles

tmazz

There is NO BEST just different. Let your ears be the judge in your own system.

And one thing that always seem to get swept under the rug is that everybody's hearing is different. I would love to someday be able to gather up a dozen or so hard core audiophiles, take them to an audiologist and get their hearing tested and then do a spectral plot of the response of their systems. I wonder how much of the personal taste choices they made in their systems could be correlated back to their own hearing response.  It could be that we all actually like the same thing and the differences in our systems are just compensations for our own hearing that get us to that same place. 

Just a thought.  Sorry for the little sidetrack.   :D

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
That's not a sidetrack.  It's a very good point that not all listeners are the same, and its something I alluded to at least twice in the course of this thread.

--Jerome

Early B.

As a dealer and audiophile I can can tell everyone that there are differences in performance of expensive gear and less expensive gear. period.
     However not always a difference that the price dictates. There are overachievers like Oddessey and Iphono, Belkin digital cable as some examples.
      The question is after hearing the small difference is it worth the money ? That is subjective and personal choice. From my 45+ years around audio it is putting together a system that has synergy. I see people spend crazy money yet only go sideways with not much of an improvement for money spent.
    It is a business remember that. The late Harry Pearson was instrumental in creating the high end. Which allowed IMO price jumps to crazy land. One suggestion was to relegate 10% of system cost for cabling. Well you go into a fancy brick and mortar sit down with a glass of wine and the show begins. It is easy to get caught up with the eye candy and lure of owning "the best"
     There is NO BEST just different. Let your ears be the judge in your own system. Directly compare a so called state of the art component as a reference to a lessor brand. you will find that there is a difference. So again is that difference worth it  ? To each his or her own.

charles

We're audiophiles, which implies we're willing to pay an insane amount of money for the slightest perceived improvement. We're only limited by our budget.   

RPM123

We're audiophiles, which implies we're willing to pay an insane amount of money for the slightest perceived improvement. We're only limited by our budget.

Or our spouses.  :)

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
We're audiophiles, which implies we'reI'm willing to pay an insane amount of money for the slightest perceived improvement. We're I'm only limited by our my budget.

There, I fixed it for you.  Sometimes the problem isn't so much what people say but rather how they say it.

You make it sound as though being an audiophile makes you part of some exclusive club of big spenders.  And to think I have been accused of making this discussion all about money.  :scratch:  You can certainly speak for yourself, but you don't get to speak for everyone and don't get to define for us all what it means to be an audiophile.

Most of the audiophiles I know, and I know a lot of them, are only limited by their imagination.  Their passion and desire for excellence are limitless, and simply because they have different priorities than you and a different budget doesn't make them any less of an audiophile.

Your post reminded me of an audiophile friend that I have lost touch with several years ago, and now that I'm thinking about him I really miss him.  I didn't know what his entire system consisted of, but I knew enough of the details to estimate that he probably had about $200K invested in hardware.  He had two vinyl rigs, I don't recall the tables and arms but I do recall the cartridges: on one table he had a Dynavector XV-1S and on the other he had a Koetsu Coralstone.  He also had a small collection of expensive cartridges: a few Lyras, an Ortofon Winfield, and a few others perhaps.  The least expensive cartridge in his collection costs $4,000.  He had more money tied up in cartridges than a lot of people spend on their entire system.

But he never made a big deal out of it.  He was as humble as they come.  If someone bought something new for their system, no matter what it was and no matter how much or little they spent on it he was usually the first to congratulate them on their new acquisition.  He only had words of encouragement and never made anyone feel that being audiophile was exclusive in any way.  To him, you were an audiophile so long as you had a passion for music.  I remember talking to him once and he said there were a few people he knew with very expensive systems that he did not consider audiophiles because they seldom ever listened to music.

He was among the best ambassadors of the hobby I ever knew.

--Jerome

tmazz

Somebody once told me that the definition of a true Audiophile is a person who spends exorbitant amounts of money on hardware for the sole purpose of proving that all software sucks.  :lol:

It doesn't cover all of us, but I certainly know quite a few people who fit squarely into that box. :roll:

Freo-1

There, I fixed it for you.  Sometimes the problem isn't so much what people say but rather how they say it.

Your post reminded me of an audiophile friend that I have lost touch with several years ago, and now that I'm thinking about him I really miss him.  I didn't know what his entire system consisted of, but I knew enough of the details to estimate that he probably had about $200K invested in hardware.  He had two vinyl rigs, I don't recall the tables and arms but I do recall the cartridges: on one table he had a Dynavector XV-1S and on the other he had a Koetsu Coralstone.  He also had a small collection of expensive cartridges: a few Lyras, an Ortofon Winfield, and a few others perhaps.  The least expensive cartridge in his collection costs $4,000.  He had more money tied up in cartridges than a lot of people spend on their entire system.

But he never made a big deal out of it.  He was as humble as they come.  If someone bought something new for their system, no matter what it was and no matter how much or little they spent on it he was usually the first to congratulate them on their new acquisition.  He only had words of encouragement and never made anyone feel that being audiophile was exclusive in any way.  To him, you were an audiophile so long as you had a passion for music.  I remember talking to him once and he said there were a few people he knew with very expensive systems that he did not consider audiophiles because they seldom ever listened to music.

--Jerome

That's an excellent story.  Thanks for sharing.  We should all try to practice this more often.

Quick Story:  I work at a R&D facility that is mostly scientists and engineers (hence my occasional obsession with specs, how things work, etc.).   A good friend of mine at work is really into music of all sorts.  After hearing my system, he decided to upgrade his playback setup.  He bought a pair of Polk LSi's 25's for short cash, and I hooked him up with a Fisher KX-200 integrated amp for the speakers.  The Fisher was restored to bring it back up to spec.  He absolutely loves the sound from the setup.  He is also boning up on tube audio, and plans to make a DIY tube setup soon.   To me, being able to get folks who love music exposed to better audio playback systems, and then seeing them get better systems to enjoy the music more, is what this hobby is all about at the root of it.   

werd

What exactly are you accusing me of werd? 

That you are trying to hide a condition you suffer from. That being "Tone Death"

:evil:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Russell Dawkins

Interesting that the term 'audiophile' is used with either a strong positive or strong negative connotation—often negative when used by those in the recording industry, ironically.
I know a successful speaker designer who says "The audiophile in the room is the first one to begin speakin' after the music starts playin'".

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
That you are trying to hide a condition you suffer from. That being "Tone Death"

:evil:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm going to treat your post with all of the respect it deserves.  Wait a moment, I'll be right back....

I printed out a copy of your post and then crumpled it up into a tiny little ball.  Then I flushed it down the toilet.  By now it is somewhere in my septic tank, along with the rest of the shit.

Now if you have something constructive to say by all means say it.  But if you want to continue as you have been doing I can give you much better than I get.

--Jerome

ACHiPo

--Jerome
Great story Jerome!

Guy 13

I'm going to treat your post with all of the respect it deserves.  Wait a moment, I'll be right back....

I printed out a copy of your post and then crumpled it up into a tiny little ball.  Then I flushed it down the toilet.  By now it is somewhere in my septic tank, along with the rest of the shit.

Now if you have something constructive to say by all means say it.  But if you want to continue as you have been doing I can give you much better than I get.

--Jerome

Hi Jerome,
I like the way you share with us your thoughts, experience
and 100% agree with you.
Please keep posting, your contribution to AudioCircle is a great contribution.

Guy 13

Early B.

To him, you were an audiophile so long as you had a passion for music.  I remember talking to him once and he said there were a few people he knew with very expensive systems that he did not consider audiophiles because they seldom ever listened to music.

Your friend doesn't understand what an audiophile is. Everyone has a passion for music to some extent, but not everyone is an audiophile. In fact, most musicians aren't audiophiles. So the amount of time spent listening to music has nothing to do with being an audiophile. It's quality, not quantity.