Two paths taken - budget and audiophile - is there that much of a difference?

eclubow

I'm sorry, but this is not a fact. Where it is true that a lower priced component will have a lower parts  budget that does mean that that it has an inferior design and will always lead to inferior performance. While I don't disagree that more often than not this is the case, that does not mean that a good engineer couldn't come up with an outstanding design that synergistically matches less expensive parts to and results in a component that performs way better than it has a right to based on its price. We all know people that carefully  put together systems that in totality sound much better than we would expect given the units the put into, why is it not possible for a designer to do the same thing  with an individual component

I don't think anybody would agree that you can get only so far with a given parts budget and that  better parts can lead to a better sounding design, but the point that I believe Jerome is trying to make is that a high price tag in and of itself does not mean that  you will get a better sounding unit.(He never said there are no $4500 phono stages that are better than the iFi, jusrt that he had experience with one particular unit that he felt was not better.)  A higher priced unit can sound better, it may do so quite often, but it is not always a slam dunk.

And beyond that"better sound" at some point may not lead to greater musical enjoyment. If you are simply a gearhead and the only thing you use music for is as a test signal to evaluate electronics you may never get to that point and if that is what makes you happy there is nothing wrong with that. But if you are in this hobby for the joy of musical pleasure there comes a point where the sound is good enough to get you involved with the music and any improvement beyond that will not enhance that musical enjoyment to any great extent.  Now that point is understandably a personal opinion and will vary from person to person. But I think one of the underlying themes of the original post is the idea of when is "good" good enough. And that seems to have gotten lost

Thank you. You said it far better than I could. Though some on this site seem to savor the art of pedagogy, somehow feeling they know what's best for the rest of us and insisting on teaching us whether we like it or not, thankfully some sanity occasionally prevails. I am 67 years old, have played vinyl much of my life, owned a very expensive turntable and tonearm which I could tweak or tinker with until my arm fell off and wasn't that thrilled with it.  I sold it and bought a Rega and, believe it or not, I'm much happier. For those of you who enjoy fiddling with VTA, asimuth and other sundry activities, please.... Knock yourself out!
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2015, 01:40 am by eclubow »

werd

This is just another agenda driven thread. An anvil used to show contempt with the hobby. There are tons of examples where price tracks quality improvement. Go on to any decentt brand and as the quality goes up so does price. Bryston starts their amps at low wattage and moves up in price with wattage. Definete improvement with each model. You guys who buy into this crybaby all gear sounds the same so there fore price is not an indicator are in some weird perverted version of this hobby. Why bother? Take your hobby naysay garbage and shove it.

Early B.

This is just another agenda driven thread. An anvil used to show contempt with the hobby. There are tons of examples where price tracks quality improvement. Go on to any decentt brand and as the quality goes up so does price. Bryston starts their amps at low wattage and moves up in price with wattage. Definete improvement with each model. You guys who buy into this crybaby all gear sounds the same so there fore price is not an indicator are in some weird perverted version of this hobby. Why bother? Take your hobby naysay garbage and shove it.

Yeah, it defies reality. With virtually every other consumer good on the planet, as the quality increases, so does the price, generally speaking. In audio, you'll find a handful of guys who simply disregard how the world works, but will contradict themselves by spending thousands on a single component, and then attempt to convince others that they shouldn't spend more because less is just as good.  :scratch:

dmckean

You can't compare luxury goods (which all audio gear is) to consumer goods, that's why they're specifically excluded from a the CPI. Dealers work in small volumes get 50 percent margins on the street price (not the MSRP) and distributors take another 30 percent. Obviously, a small manufacturer selling direct or a huge mega manufacturer that can operate at smaller margins and selling in alternative retail channels have a ton of room to out compete. Inexpensive gear can also be better simply by virtue of being better designed. An amplifier from an engineering driven company is almost always better than one from a marketing driven company, even if it's built out entirely with 5 watt audiophile voodoo resistors or other such nonsense.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
This is just another agenda driven thread.

Damn, someone is onto me.  I was really hoping to convince the high rollers here that they bought a bunch of overpriced junk and want to ship it all to me in exchange for a transistor radio.  :lol:  Yeah, that's it.

--Jerome

werd

Damn, someone is onto me.  I was really hoping to convince the high rollers here that they bought a bunch of overpriced junk and want to ship it all to me in exchange for a transistor radio.  :lol:  Yeah, that's it.

--Jerome

you want me to reveal your motive?  Disect through your agenda.. Tell you what I think. I guarantee you will not like it.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
you want me to reveal your motive?  Disect through your agenda.. Tell you what I think. I guarantee you will not like it.

I don't care what you think.  My world doesn't revolve around your opinion.

--Jerome

werd

I sense fear in this one.

Russell Dawkins

decentt
Definete 
there fore
Take your hobby naysay garbage and shove it.

...dull night in Saskatoon, "werd"? Having trouble with the language?

'Tis the season to be jolly, not nasty, mean spirited and combative.

Time to go easy on the antifreeze and enjoy the music, if you can.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Lighten up, please.
This is an interesting thread, let's keep it civil. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES

Now look what you've done.  You've attracted the Thought Police
You can only say good things about other forum members.  Sarcasm isn't always understood, but if you word it just so, they will get it. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES

tmazz

Nobody said that that all gear sounds the same, nor did they say that quality cannot go up with price. You are absolutely correct that there are tons of examples where it does. The point that was made is that quality does not always go up with price. It makes perfect sense that within a given product line, higher priced models should sound better. If they are from the same company one would assume that they follow the same design philosophies and in most cases given the small size of most high end firms, they are even designed by the same engineer. Given that it is most likely that the higher rice will allow the engineer to work with a bigger parts budget which will allow him to either  buy better parts, use more complex circuitry or both, which should lead to a better sounding product.

However, that same logic will not necessarily hold when comparing products from two different companies. The companies can have very different design philosophies and access to different levels of engineering talent. Therefore designs from these two companies can have varying sound and levels of sound quality at similar price points  and it is not inconceivable that one could have better quality sound at a lower price point. I think of a product line that I have decades of experience with, Thiel Loudspeakers. Jim Thiel was a master speaker designer  and yes given a higher price point he could always come up with a better sounding speaker. But because of his expertise he could also come up with a design at a given price point that was almost always better than most speakers at that price and many people would argue better than a lot of speakers at higher price points.

And on the other hand there  was a thread on another board about a speaker from Audio Note that was made with all silver wiring (including the voice coils). Each pair used over 40 pounds of silver. And to recover the cost of that the speakers carry a six figure price tag. Does all that expense translate into better sound and is that sound better than other speakers in that price range? I have never heard the Audio Notes, so I cannot say for sure, but I have a hard time imagining that any two way speaker with a single 8' woofer can keep up with the six figure offerings from companies like Nola and Wilson.  (Not that they wont sell them , because there of often issues other than pure sound quality that go into a speaker selection (one of the biggies is size) and the Audio Note could perfectly fit somebody's need even if they could get a better sound speaker at that same price and that make it the right choice for them.)

Using your example I agree that one should expect a $3,000 Bryston amp to sound better than a $2000 Bryston amp, but whether the $3,000 Bryston sounds better or worse than $2,000 and $4,000 amps from Company X is up for grabs. While price may lead to a probability that a given piece will sound better, it does not guarantee it.  There are product out there that are just simply over achievers and likewise the are some higher priced units that simply to not perform up the the standard you would expect for the price the charge for them. And if you look carefully you will be able to identify both. (Although the former is a bit easier to find,bedcause the audio opress will always talk up a winner,but traditionally have been very reluctant to give a bad review to a high priced item because of the potential ad revenue loss).

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
I like that one neo.  :lol:  Here are a few others that gave me a good chuckle...

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
This has all been very interesting (and in a few cases even entertaining) but I need to get to some music listening.  I have a huge back log of records to listen to -- over 100 -- and I took this week off of work to try to put a dent in that pile of LPs that are waiting for a trip to my turntable.  So I should be spending more time on that then I am watching this thread.

I will only add that specifications and measurements mean a great deal to me (this is perhaps the nail in my coffin  :lol: ).  I won't say they are everything but I don't agree they are meaningless either.  It is one of the first things I look at when considering buying any audio gear, and I typically avoid stuff where the manufacturer doesn't publish specifications or won't provide them on request.  So that excludes a lot of gear from consideration, particularly the higher-end stuff.  In spite of that, I don't always make buying decisions that align with my technical requirements.  I have been, at times, just as susceptible to equipment lust as the next person.  The Nottingham Space 294 purchase is one such buy.  In fact, if I followed my better judgment I never would have bought the table to begin with.  Here are the specifications:

Type: manual record player
Drive method: belt drive
Speeds: 33.33 and 45rpm

Yep, that's it.  :o

To be honest, when I bought the Space 294 I was mildly concerned that it may not even perform as well as the Pioneer PLX-1000, for which full specifications are available.  Yes, there is a lot of positive press on the Nottingham turntables and many satisfied owners.  But anecdotal reviews and owner testimonials don't mean as much to me as the specifications and a technical review with published measurements.  That's just the way I am wired.  But I had a brief encounter with a Nottingham Hyperspace years ago, and haven't been able to get that table out of my mind since then.  Every time I was considering a change to my analogue front end, I would think about the Nottingham but ended up setting it aside and moving in a different direction.  Most likely out of lingering concerns over how it would actually perform.

I am especially sensitive to tone and pitch.  And one of my requirements for a turntable is rock solid speed accuracy and stability.  Fortunately for me it worked out well, but I felt I was taking something of a risk with the purchase, to the tune of $6,800 for the turntable and tonearm.  However, I had this itch for a long time and despite my misgivings it was time to scratch it.  So I did and have no regrets whatsoever.

Due to my electrical engineering background I have a solid technical grasp of how different measured characteristics of audio equipment affect sound quality and the extent to which they do.  I'm not saying that I am uniquely qualified in that regard, as there are quite a few technical people on this board who know at least as much, if not more than I do.  They know who they are.  There are also non-technical people here who spent a great deal of time learning about it and have attained a respectable command of the technical side of audio.  Similarly, there are some that really don't have a technical background and don't really understand the subject at that level, though they often let on that they do.  They also know who they are. 

For anyone who might be interested in this subject Google is your friend and the technical information and analysis (done by real independent engineers and not an equipment manufacturer or audio reviewer ) is readily available and not very difficult to find.

None of that is to say that people must do things the way I do them or share my priorities.  One of the great things about audio, and living in a free society, is having the freedom to choose.  It is not really my place to sit in judgment over how other people make audio buying decisions.  I just wanted to share a little information on how I make mine.  :)

Happy listening.  8)

--Jerome

tmazz

This has all been very interesting (and in a few cases even entertaining) but I need to get to some music listening.   

Now you're talkin'.  :thumb:

After all, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about isn't it?   8)

werd

Nobody said that that all gear sounds the same, nor did they say that quality cannot go up with price. You are absolutely correct that there are tons of examples where it does. The point that was made is that quality does not always go up with price. It makes perfect sense that within a given product line, higher priced models should sound better. If they are from the same company one would assume that they follow the same design philosophies and in most cases given the small size of most high end firms, they are even designed by the same engineer. Given that it is most likely that the higher rice will allow the engineer to work with a bigger parts budget which will allow him to either  buy better parts, use more complex circuitry or both, which should lead to a better sounding product.

However, that same logic will not necessarily hold when comparing products from two different companies. The companies can have very different design philosophies and access to different levels of engineering talent. Therefore designs from these two companies can have varying sound and levels of sound quality at similar price points  and it is not inconceivable that one could have better quality sound at a lower price point. I think of a product line that I have decades of experience with, Thiel Loudspeakers. Jim Thiel was a master speaker designer  and yes given a higher price point he could always come up with a better sounding speaker. But because of his expertise he could also come up with a design at a given price point that was almost always better than most speakers at that price and many people would argue better than a lot of speakers at higher price points.

And on the other hand there  was a thread on another board about a speaker from Audio Note that was made with all silver wiring (including the voice coils). Each pair used over 40 pounds of silver. And to recover the cost of that the speakers carry a six figure price tag. Does all that expense translate into better sound and is that sound better than other speakers in that price range? I have never heard the Audio Notes, so I cannot say for sure, but I have a hard time imagining that any two way speaker with a single 8' woofer can keep up with the six figure offerings from companies like Nola and Wilson.  (Not that they wont sell them , because there of often issues other than pure sound quality that go into a speaker selection (one of the biggies is size) and the Audio Note could perfectly fit somebody's need even if they could get a better sound speaker at that same price and that make it the right choice for them.)

Using your example I agree that one should expect a $3,000 Bryston amp to sound better than a $2000 Bryston amp, but whether the $3,000 Bryston sounds better or worse than $2,000 and $4,000 amps from Company X is up for grabs. While price may lead to a probability that a given piece will sound better, it does not guarantee it.  There are product out there that are just simply over achievers and likewise the are some higher priced units that simply to not perform up the the standard you would expect for the price the charge for them. And if you look carefully you will be able to identify both. (Although the former is a bit easier to find,bedcause the audio opress will always talk up a winner,but traditionally have been very reluctant to give a bad review to a high priced item because of the potential ad revenue loss).

That is where I was headed if i had kept going. It's called shopping, finding cheaper gear that does what more expensive gear does. You can't do it unless you know how to shop or what you want from any particular piece. Not you, but there are people on this thread that have resigned to that with the only criteria "measurements".  So if a piece measures the same it therefore will sound the same. That is the "agenda" of this thread. It is not to help new comers build and feel good about system building. That is a load of bullshit. It's only message is that all gear sounds the same when measures the same. If you pay more for that piece you are getting ripped off. Look at the title of the thread "Two Paths Taken -  budget and audiophile - is there much of a difference?" Then the entire context of the thread is about price. Its an agenda driven CON JOB cleverly disguised as a humanitarian mission to help new comers with their hobby.

Freo-1

To me, the main point of this thread is to point out that the price/performance ratio hits a wall at a certain point.  Beyond that, the cost to get improvement is not linear at all.  It's like charging lead/acid batteries.  Up to 86 % or so, it's pretty linear.  Beyond that, it starts to take longer and longer to get that last percentage of charge.   I think this principal holds true for any audio equipment, not just turntables playback setups.  I've seen speakers with the same drivers sell for double what another guy charges for them. 

Measurements are very important, but agree they are not the be all/end/all.  For example, tube amps do not measure as well on the whole as sand amps, but many people find them to be more musical than SS amps.   The technical principals of operation differences between tubes and SS amps account for the differences in sound.  I have both tube and SS amp/preamp setups, and enjoy each for their individual strengths.  However, to really get the best from tubes, you either have to spend a lot, or, go DIY to get the best from a price/performance aspect. 

There are more variables at work with analog turntable playback than digital.  It's harder to get vinyl playback right (IMHO).  However, the results of getting the vinyl playback right is indeed rewarding.  You have the turntable, tonearm, wiring, cartridge, and phono preamp to consider.  How much funding one allocates for each to get the sound one wants can get tricky.  That's where the price/performance arguments come into play.

At any rate, happy listening. 

Guy 13

To me, the main point of this thread is to point out that the price/performance ratio hits a wall at a certain point.  Beyond that, the cost to get improvement is not linear at all.  It's like charging lead/acid batteries.  Up to 86 % or so, it's pretty linear.  Beyond that, it starts to take longer and longer to get that last percentage of charge.   I think this principal holds true for any audio equipment, not just turntables playback setups.  I've seen speakers with the same drivers sell for double what another guy charges for them. 

Measurements are very important, but agree they are not the be all/end/all.  For example, tube amps do not measure as well on the whole as sand amps, but many people find them to be more musical than SS amps.   The technical principals of operation differences between tubes and SS amps account for the differences in sound.  I have both tube and SS amp/preamp setups, and enjoy each for their individual strengths.  However, to really get the best from tubes, you either have to spend a lot, or, go DIY to get the best from a price/performance aspect. 

There are more variables at work with analog turntable playback than digital.  It's harder to get vinyl playback right (IMHO).  However, the results of getting the vinyl playback right is indeed rewarding.  You have the turntable, tonearm, wiring, cartridge, and phono preamp to consider.  How much funding one allocates for each to get the sound one wants can get tricky.  That's where the price/performance arguments come into play.

Well writen Freo 1.
I agree 100% with you.  :thumb:

Guy 13

werd

I agree with this too, but what you are doing is polishing it up for the OP. Your message is not the same message as the OP'er