Chromecast Audio

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Chromecast Audio
« on: 11 Dec 2015, 02:52 pm »
Using it? What do you think? Target has them on sale, 2/$55. I'm considering a powered mini-monitor to take advantage of the device.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Chromecast Audio
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2015, 04:50 pm »
A friend uses it for Spotify/Tidal and sounded good to me via his system (vintage speakers, Crown 1500, Emotiva DAC/pre).

Listened to it for Spotify via my $8,000 system and without A/B testing three of us would not have been able to tell the difference.

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:04 pm »
I am going to use for streaming to a dac or directly to integrated.  Haven't tried yet though.

mrhyfy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:40 pm »
Does anyone know if it will work as a renderer for JRiver?
thanks

aevans

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:19 am »
Got it on the Christmas list so I have not tried it yet, but I've been using either a squeezebox or raspberry pi for about 5 years and Spotify does me right 99% of the time. I have a feeling that using it as a source the only limitation is going to be the volume control, which is always an issue on app based products.

rolandtk

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2016, 02:37 pm »
I now have two of these, its a great product.  i use the optical out into my receiver in one room and a dac in another room.  you can link multiple chromecast audio (not standard) into one group and send the same signal to all of them.  be sure to select high quality in the settings. 
much better quality than bluetooth with aptx and doesnt die when you walk twenty feet from the device since it runs on wifi.