3.5" Sata HD install question.

werd

3.5" Sata HD install question.
« on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:09 pm »
i purchased a new HD and I have an install question. The HD comes shipped in an anti-static bag. What's stopping me from leaving the HD in the bag and installing it in my bay? I can easily cut the ends of the anti-static bag for the connects and i can also easily screw through the anti-static bag to attach to the bay. Does this Seagate HD need airflow that might be impeded by leaving it in the bag? It seems like a good idea to leave it in the bag since the bag is anti static.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 3.5" Sata HD install question.
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:22 pm »
SMT you are referring to the anti static strap that you should put on the wrist and connect to a metal ground(not the PC chassis).

If you are not wear the bracelet may happen that the static tension of your body burn the HD processors.

According IBM maintenance dept body static tension can reach more than 30K Volts at very low current.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:32 pm »
The bag is for shipping only!!!

Leaving the HD in the bag will cause overheating and premature failure, many computers have fans blowing directly on the bay of hard drives to keep then cool.

The mounting screws ground the HD to the frame and drain all static.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2015, 04:09 pm »
Ok overheating is what i was afraid of. Will install with out bag. Thanks.