New Projector Help

Philistine

New Projector Help
« on: 5 Dec 2015, 09:47 pm »
I've had a Runco single chip DLP projector for the last 11 years, it's given great service but it looks like the separate video processor has crapped out - the projector itself is fine but it's probably better not to throw money at repairing the aging dinosaur that it's become. 

So I'm looking for a replacement: the room is totally dark (windowless) screen size is 92inches (diag).  As I've not needed to keep in touch with projector advancements I haven't followed the different technologies and brands, so thought I'd reach out to the Circle for advice on a replacement.  I'm thinking of spending as little as possible, max budget would be <$3000....any recommendations would be appreciated.

kingdeezie

Re: New Projector Help
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2015, 11:22 pm »
I'm not sure what model Runco you have now, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that was a high end unit when it was new. Runco now isn't cheap.

If you don't play video games on your projector (high input lag), I would look into the New JVC X550R. Its MSRP is 4K, but I am sure you could get it pretty close to 3K if you shopped around.

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=140&productId=PRD4207000

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2015, 12:26 am »
Projection Central is a good resource. I have an Epson 5030 in the main system on a 100 inch screen

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2015, 12:36 am »
Projection Central is a good resource. I have an Epson 5030 in the main system on a 100 inch screen
It is Projector Central - projectorcentral.com

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2015, 03:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, with 4k technology emerging my thoughts are to invest the minimum amount in order to get reasonable HD performance and wait for the technology to mature - hence the $3k cap.  The Epson gets great reviews and is on the top of the list, also the Sony 40ES is highly regarded - so I'm curious if anyone has compared these?  I hadn't thought about the JVC, but this looks a great option if I can find a good deal.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2015, 03:21 pm »
Have not looked at the Sony - it was out after the Epson and I bought the Epson right before a move at the beginning of 2014 and had it shipped to the new place.  I also have an Epson 8350 in the bedroom with a 92 inch screen that folds into the ceiling.  I merely looked at what was available in the latter part of 2013 and I don't like to general spend over a certain amount on digital or video technology as it changes rapidly.  I currently use the bedroom system for video lots more (watched the Iowa/Michigan State game last night and will likely watch Sunday Night Football tonight) as I'll generally use the main system more for Blu-Ray viewing and I don't buy as many as I used to.  I figure that in a few years I can always upgrade the 5030 and move it to the bedroom.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2015, 03:51 pm »
How adequate are 1080p screens with 4K pictures?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:01 pm »
I guess it may depend on the screen you have.  Some things I've read are that 4k screens are made to be more texturless than 1080p ones.

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:02 pm »
How adequate are 1080p screens with 4K pictures?

EDIT: Phil understood your question, and answered it correctly. Because there are more many pixels in a 4K image, the screen itself has to get out of the way more. The 4K screens are made more "textureless," to quote Phil, in order to accommodate the more densely packed pixels.

LadyDog

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:31 pm »
JVC's are hard to beat for movies.  Deep and rich blacks.

Using the Sony 40es in my family room I can certainly recommend.  Enough lumens for casual viewing.  Can be found on sale for $2k if patient.  Phil's Epson 5030 is also a very nice projector.

See if you can find some place to view in real life.  Some prefer the dlp pictures, others like led/lcos.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2015, 05:16 pm »
For me at the current price points, it is too early to jump into a 4k projector.  That's sort of why I got an Epson 8350 for the bedroom.  The Epson 5030 doesn't see tons of use (probably most regular TV on watch on there might be the Super Bowl, NBA playoff, etc.) and whenever down the road I get to 4k, the 5030 will be more than good enough as a bedroom projector.

I'm probably going to make the plunge into 4k with a TV probably late summer of next year (assuming nothing goes before then - I have an old 42 inch Vizio in one spare system that is just used to start the music server and then covered but it is probably over 10 years old).  I have a spare system with a 50 inch TV (only sit about 7 feet away so I'll be getting minimum benefit but will be moving the 50 inch to the room where the 42 inch Vizio is and the 50 incher really isn't a state-of-the-art TV - just got an Insignia I used for a bit in the upstairs bonus room I stayed in while I was going back and forth in the middle of a move) and will be following when the next generation Oppo is going to come out.  At that point, I'll get my feet wet.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2015, 05:22 pm »
Not much to contribute to this one - been out of the FP loop for awhile. Bought an InFocus DLP many years ago that served me quite wlll for many years, but just won't work at the new location (wrong throw range and I'll be right next to the projector/fan withe new setup), so....

I'll be watching to see what recommendations others make to Philistine - maybe I'll pick up some good tips.  :icon_twisted:

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2015, 08:05 pm »
I generally don't look at projectors that much until I'm ready to purchase (and then I'll look at Projector Central as a starting point).  I keep multiple systems and use regular TVs in some and end up having them a long time.  I gave my BenQ W5000 (it was probably 8 years ago with less than 1,000 hrs. on it) to someone a few months back (he needed money anyway and it was sitting in my garage.  I had my Sharp 9000 before that for many (probably about 8) years too.  Also, have an integrated AV main system for many years (with a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass - and I set the system up optimized for 2-channel with the HT add on - I have other systems for HT), I like projectors as not have a screen with a reflective glass surface between the speakers in nice.  Projectors have come a long way and gone down in price (my Sharp 9000 was $10k list).

Philistine

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:34 pm »
I've used to single chip DLP technology so need to check out if LCD and LCoS work for me before taking the plunge on a specific model....never had problems with rainbow effect with DLP.  It's been over 10 years since I was last in the market so I'll need to put a bit of work onto this project.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2015, 02:13 am »
From personal experience the Sony VW40es is an excellent projector and a bargain at under $2k retail. I still like the JVCs better - but it's hard to argue the value of the Sony at or below $2k. And I think once you go LCOS / SXRD you won't want to go back to DLP - at least not for film based content.

Pity Sony is playing games about the US release of the VPL-VW300ES entry level 4K projector. Why are we still waiting a year after the European release?

Philistine

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2015, 12:29 am »
Called a couple of dealers today, both stock the Sony HW 40ES.  One has the Epson 6030 to compare it against, the other has previous generation JVC projectors to compare - both trying to push me in the direction of 4K, and both rate the Sony as a 'budget' entry.  The second dealer thinks I'd be better served buying the JVC X550R when he has one available (he only has the previous generation in stock)  I'm planning on taking a look at them later in the week....

kingdeezie

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:14 am »
Called a couple of dealers today, both stock the Sony HW 40ES.  One has the Epson 6030 to compare it against, the other has previous generation JVC projectors to compare - both trying to push me in the direction of 4K, and both rate the Sony as a 'budget' entry.  The second dealer thinks I'd be better served buying the JVC X550R when he has one available (he only has the previous generation in stock)  I'm planning on taking a look at them later in the week....

See if he will give you a discount on the JVC previous generation. Projector value drops like crazy after the latest and greatest comes out.

For movie viewing, there is little that beats the JVC in that price range. Contrast is king, and the JVC is some of the best of what's around at that price point.

See if he has any X35s left. They retailed for 3500, were out last year, and provide a pretty good bang for the buck. They need a room that is light controlled to really shine, but they are a good picture.   

Philistine

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2015, 09:00 pm »
Had the first demo today: Sony HW 40ES, it's a great value projector and a good option while waiting for 4k technology to mature.  I'm waiting for a quote but expect it to be at list price or close.
It's going for under $1500 on some obscure websites, and $1750 on overstock, anyone have experiences of these sources or can recommend reliable sellers? 

The dealer deals with JVC's but only buys when he has an installation needs, he tells me that the X550R isn't available too him until January and no deals to be had at the moment on the previous generation.

LadyDog

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2015, 09:36 pm »
Had the first demo today: Sony HW 40ES, it's a great value projector and a good option while waiting for 4k technology to mature.  I'm waiting for a quote but expect it to be at list price or close.
It's going for under $1500 on some obscure websites, and $1750 on overstock, anyone have experiences of these sources or can recommend reliable sellers? 

Personally I'd only buy from an authorized dealer where you know a full warranty will be applicable.  Places like Projector People, AV Science, etc.  Periodically they run sales and it should be around $2k.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2015, 11:15 pm »

The dealer deals with JVC's but only buys when he has an installation needs, he tells me that the X550R isn't available too him until January and no deals to be had at the moment on the previous generation.

No doubt the Sony 40ES delivers a great picture. Just as an FYI, an audio circle member is selling his Epson 5030EBE here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139074.0. I've read good reviews on that unit as well.