NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon

syzygetic

NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon
« on: 2 Dec 2015, 08:07 pm »
Ok, so there are plenty of posts here about DIY ncore, and plenty of posts specifically about grounding nampon, which appears to have confused many people.

Unfortunately, I fit in a slightly different category than any of the posts have dealt with thus far:

I have assembled the nCore 400 / SMPS600 module (two monoblocks), and I grounded the nampon on the XLR connector, which is a ground effectively off the IEC connection to household earth.

The monoblocks work, and work very, very well. This is indeed a superlative amp.

Unfortunately, they also cut out momentarily whenever I plug anything else into an outlet on the same circuit. Playing music and you plug in an HDMI port on the TV? Muted for 2sec. Playing music and you turn on another amp on the same preamp? Muted for 2sec.

The fact that it's a really clean mute, and only very transient, points to nampon ground being funky, since that handles the muting.

Is this something anybody else encountered? Maybe I need to isolate the ncore ground somehow?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: NC400 / SMPS600 and grounding nampon
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2015, 01:36 pm »
Remember that a XLR balanced interconnect system does not have a circuit ground conductor.  It has a shield that should be connected to the chassis very near the connector.  True the Safety Ground/Protective Earth is also connected to the chassis near the IEC connector, but it has a different task.

syzygetic

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:21 pm »
Remember that a XLR balanced interconnect system does not have a circuit ground conductor.  It has a shield that should be connected to the chassis very near the connector.  True the Safety Ground/Protective Earth is also connected to the chassis near the IEC connector, but it has a different task.

Interesting. I did connect it near the XLR, but that was because I presumed the electrical continuity (through the chassis) would make connecting there the same as at the IEC. I'll try the IEC side of the case and see if that isolates it from some kind of noise it's getting off the XLR. Thanks for the idea!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:39 pm »
It's best to keep external shield wires, once they get inside the chassis as short as practicable.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:19 pm »
nAmpon is simply a logic signal input. When the connection is open, it floats as a "high" signal and the amp is disabled. When tied to ground it is a "low" signal, enabling the amplifier.

If you are using an anodized chassis and plan it as a conducter, you may need to scrape it clean to make connection through the power supply/amp mountings and the connectors.