Recommend a tube pre-amp

TJHUB

Re: Recommend a tube pre-amp
« Reply #60 on: 23 Dec 2015, 09:16 pm »
Did you research the DSPeaker user reviews?  I was interested myself at one time, but it seems to suffer from basically what all DSP gear suffers from, it lacks clarity presumably from the DSP and volume control.  I read far too much to be interested in it. 

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to read your thoughts on it when you get it.  I hope it works out for you.

rockadanny

« Reply #61 on: 23 Dec 2015, 09:34 pm »
Spoke today with Walter Liederman (Underwood HiFi) and he raved about it

:o  shocking

Congrats! Once you get it set and live with it for a bit please let us know what you think.

rodge827

« Reply #62 on: 23 Dec 2015, 11:59 pm »
JLM,
Congrats on the Dual Core I have had mine since August 2012. Don't discount the iTube I use it with fantastic results! If you can, upgrade to a 12v linear power supply. I was using an Astron, but recently purchase a Paul Hynes SR 12/3. The dac in the Dual Core is very transparent and neutral. I compared it with a Buffalo Dac and the Dual Core was hands down a better Dac!
There is a learning curve to using the Dual Core so be patient and read the manual.
If you have any questions drop me a PM and I will be happy to help you through it.

Chris

neep

« Reply #63 on: 24 Dec 2015, 06:50 am »
Been through plenty of tube pre's and my current two are absolutely phenomenal.

I have a Rogue Perseus Magnum with NOS Bugle Boys glowing and I won't get rid of it. Just phenomenal.

I also have a Dodd Audio Reference Level Preamp that you will never see me sell. Has more of a refined top end than the Rogue but has a more sparkly top end with better depth and separation.

They both add and do not take away which is my main criteria for any tube pre. It must not take away resolution and dumb things down. It has to add soul or realism. I've had tube pre's that added a whole lot of mess to the signal. Rolled off, loose, veiled - this isn't what I want tubes to do.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you pulled the trigger haha. Enjoy!

Escott1377

« Reply #64 on: 24 Dec 2015, 02:37 pm »
JLM,
Congrats on the Dual Core I have had mine since August 2012. Don't discount the iTube I use it with fantastic results! If you can, upgrade to a 12v linear power supply. I was using an Astron, but recently purchase a Paul Hynes SR 12/3. The dac in the Dual Core is very transparent and neutral. I compared it with a Buffalo Dac and the Dual Core was hands down a better Dac!
There is a learning curve to using the Dual Core so be patient and read the manual.
If you have any questions drop me a PM and I will be happy to help you through it.

Chris

I own the unit as well, although I only use it for its DSP feature.  The Astron is a very good recommendation and if memory serves me correct, only around $100 (+ / - 10%).  The 2.0 version suffers from an insufficient power supply and the Astron will make it purr.

As stated, this unit can do all sorts of things and I am only using maybe 10% of its features.

FWIW - the company will be releasing their next generation in 2016, retailing in the $3k range.

You will enjoy that piece.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #65 on: 25 Dec 2015, 02:44 am »
Yeah had visited his site a bunch of times over the years but had never spoken to him. 

From what I can tell the hardware/software have been updated since many of early reviews, so hopefully most of the issues have been straightened out.

As I was only in the market for a DAC and preamp, the DSP (and remote) are gravy.  Coming from a Behringer DEQ2496 the DSPeaker looks super easy to use, but I'm a believer that EQ/DSP is to be used sparingly and only after the room/setup have been physically dealt with.