Full room pack in 'da house...

DeadFish

« on: 18 Oct 2004, 09:38 pm »
About a month ago, I purchased one of these from Eighth Nerve, in their recent end o' summer sale.
Got 'em up and began listening, given them the benefit of the doubt.
Now, y'all know that when I brought in the Altec's, I had fits about the sound bouncing all over the place all of a sudden.
Well, I can say without reserves now that there has been proper enhancement.
From the first day, without my ears necessarilly having to retrain themselves, music started staying on its own side of the room.
I tried putting silk flowers and trees about, and they helped, but not enough.  I got new foam surrounds on my horns, along with the putty on the horns, but was still not enough.
Even went the big distance and chased tube amps, that while making the speakers more tolerable, did little for the room issues.

What I got in this 'pack' took care of all the corners and the seams of the walls.
At the sale price of $200 for my 13 x 13 foot sq room, I got a bargain to be able to stop chasing the 'bounce' and to start enhancing the real music.
I think it was a real fair deal.  
I had been about to the point of hanging quilts on the wall, etc., but I don't think that is necessary now.

I might still put something in there to trap some bass, but it isn't near as high on the priority list as it was.
In fact, when I brought in the Epiphony speakers last week, I didn't even think about the 'room-voice' issues, and they seemingly didn't show up.
Just good listening.
I have them up with velcro on my hard plaster, but they can be put up with pushpins.
Should anyone that heard the room 'wrong' want a listen, pop me an email.  My point moreover was, that if anyone is having the bunch of us over and want to see how this minimal group might affect their room positively, I might be 'coerced.'
 :wink:
I'm not bringing a ladder though....  :D

Regards,
DF

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2004, 11:02 pm »
Very Cool!

The guys at 8th Nerve sell a good product for darned reasonable prices. Since your room is almost a cube, it's a great candidate for for some absorption.

Glad to see they worked well for you.

Oh, cool avitar BTW!

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2004, 04:23 am »
Thanks Scott,
You know the room.  These little fellars accomplished what armloads of flowers and juggling my lp's all over the room couldn't.
And worrying about it, on top of everything else with the hifi, is all but over.
I'm finding listening a lot easier to do the last few weeks, and I think that has a lot to do with it;  not being distracted.

Avitar is work in progress.  a start, anyways.  :wink:

Regards,
DF

Chris_B

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2004, 05:05 am »
Can you post some pictues?

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2004, 04:34 pm »
Scotty

Would you recommend the 8th nerve for my basement or would sheets work nearly as well.  Obviously, I am not concerned with beauty in my basement.  :-)

Bill

I may take you up on that invitation.  I have not been over to hear your changes for quite a while.  Marching band season is coming to a close so how are your Tuesdays and Thursday?

mike

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2004, 04:59 pm »
Man oh man, Mike, ya gotta come by.
Things been changing!  :D

All time is pretty fair open.
Evenings are free as wife works at nite.  :wink:

I bounce out and about occassionally, but most often am around futzing with somethin'.

These 8th nerve things are not very obtrussive, and did more, here, than massive things I tried before.  YMMV of course, but removing them shows up a lot more flaws.  Ya know there are some tweaks that show off the top, and then some you gotta think about, and some you have to remove to realize they were working, then some, you just have to 'believe' and hope they are working.
These are in the first group here.  Still got a 'lively' room, but no complaints.
Come by!
And Chris_B, I didn't forget about you.
Not much to see, but I'll try and get a pic or two up.

Regards,
DF

Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2004, 08:11 pm »
Thanks DF.  After I finish building a new listening/family room, I need to investigate some treatments and was wondering what they looked like installed.

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2004, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: Mike D
Scotty

Would you recommend the 8th nerve for my basement or would sheets work nearly as well.  Obviously, I am not concerned with beauty in my basement.  :-)

Bill

I may take you up on that invitation.  I have not been over to hear your changes for quite a while.  Marching band season is coming to a close so how are your Tuesdays and Thursday?

mike

Trouble with your room is it's lack of walls. On both sides you only have two solid walls to work with. granted the Room Pack will help treat the first reflection and the one back corner on your Rogue system (pluse the corner and side wall on the Maggies), the acoustics will get a bit weird because you don't have a wall built on both sides your steps and at the wash room.

We need to set aside some time and we can model it in CARA.

DeadFish

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2004, 09:34 pm »
Chris,
If you look at these quick pix of my room (13'x13') and excuse the disorder, you can see what these things look like in my room.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=424
They are in every wall corner and ceiling corner, and at the bottom of the corners straddling the floor.

Given the color of my walls, they don't stick out much, and I think they might be able to be painted.

I'm not saying these products are the 'be-all/end-all' of my room treatments, but they got me over the hump, as it were, where it feels like I'm getting somewhere.

I'm concentrating on the music now...

Good luck!
DF

Mike D

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2004, 02:04 pm »
That CARA idea is great.  I'd love to do that some time.  

Deadfish

Next week, assuming the Cardinals go to the series, I will be working concessions with my band parent association on Tuesday and Thursday.  After next week, I'll call and make a date.  This will be fun.

mike

Mike D

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2004, 02:06 pm »
WOW BILL!!!  Your room looks great!  A man's dream playroom!!!

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2004, 03:44 pm »
Kind of you to say, Mike.

But...need more room.
Making the Altec's 'work' in there has been a challenge.  :banghead:

On the upside, I cut a hole in a wall I framed...14(?) years ago and drywalled over, just yesterday, and installed a new door.
Now, to build a winding stairs into the attic and double the room.
THEN we'll get some testosterone flowing! :dance:

I just couldn't haul them speakers up a wooden ladder older than me.
(and you think *I* am shakey!)  hehehe

B

bmed

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2004, 05:49 pm »
Hey DF,  

I used similar room treatments in my room of similar size (14' x 12')  I was too cheap and pressed my mother into making me some 8th nerve knockoffs.  I think the total cost of materials was around $25.   I think they are wonderfull at taming reflections, especially in completely square rooms like ours.  Next for me is the front wall.

My mom can sew, now if I she and my wife could just learn how to solder....... I might have me a little cottage industry.

Go Cards,

Brad

Chris_B

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:16 pm »
Brad - what did you stuff them with?  I suppose the fabric is not critical and would let us color match the walls.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:26 pm »
Now that I think of it, cotton would work well as stuffing.  And it feels like paper inside the eighth nerve products on the "reflective" side.

DeadFish

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:49 pm »
I haven't had the testicular fortitude to rip open an 8th nerve product, but I'm kind of curious about the reflective stuff in there facing the room.
I think they are stuffed with fiberglass, otherwise.

You got lucky Brad! My Mom is like me, but old, so I'd be afraid of her sewing her fingers together or somethin'... :nono:
hehehehe  
What did you put in yours?

I definitely needed reflections subdued.  What are you going to do with your front walls?  Why?
See, I kind of see this stuff like shock absorbers.  Didn't fully know how much I needed them until they got put in and I liked 'the ride.'
Though I have no complaints with my Epiphony's in there (amazing bass for the size of the box!), bass is so much more severe on the Altec's that I might try massaging that  with a trap or two.  (had the materials for months, just no 'oomph'!)
I do know that the sound is centered in front of me, instead of ping-ponging all over the place and scaring hell out of me when the vocalist is sitting on the couch next to me.  :smoke:

Bill

ooheadsoo

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2004, 11:37 pm »
It could be fiberglass but some people believe that cotton works better than fiberglass as a stuffing material inside speakers, so I see no reason why it couldn't be cotton.  I think it's more expensive, which is why it's not commonly used...or is it?  I don't know.  Either way, I'm guessing that we could diy our own eight nerve type products fairly easily...if we wanted to :)

I can't imagine what else that reflective stuff could be.  It feels like paper and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be paper.  Paper is reflective, after all...

bmed

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2004, 03:18 pm »
Chris B.,

I stuffed them with fiberfill.  

Cheers,
Brad

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2004, 07:36 am »
Thanks for the pic's DF. Looks good ! I like the RCA dog and the Dead on the wall :) . I know whats it like in a small room. Mine's 12x12....tight fitting in alot of equipement but you did a nice job !! Good to hear the sound improved with the 8th. Nerve pack...:thumb:

DeadFish

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2004, 11:22 pm »
It was all done with mirrors and a decent wide angle lens, Chris!
 :D