Mono switch for Classic Cornet

Salectric

« on: 18 Oct 2004, 09:23 pm »
What is the best way to add a mono switch for the Cornet phono preamp?  I noticed that the Cornet2 uses a mono switch on the input, which would not seem the best place----for instance, it will change the cartridge loading from 47K to 23.5K when listening in mono.  Is there any reason not to put the mono switch on the output of the preamp instead?

Dave

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2004, 05:19 am »
I couldn't find anothe spot in the circuit to put a mono switch.  Yes, it loads the cart down a bit more, an unfortunate drawback.  But this is the best place to guarantee same signal to both channels.

Any other place would start to get dependent on exact tube section matching.  Other places are possible, just didn't seem right to me.  You could always sum the outputs via 1k resistors and try it that way.  I was guessing it might cause some smearing to the sonics.  Then again, never tried it.

Tying the cart coils together turns them into sort of an autoformer that bucks the non-signal and forces only matched groove signals to pass.  Thought it might end up being quieter too.  At least in terms of groove noise.  

Make sure the switch is well shielded.

jh :)

Ivan303

Re. input inpedance shorting LR inputs
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2004, 05:57 pm »
As now both coils of the cartridge are also in parallel, does the input impedance of the Cornet need to be different than 47 k?

Ivan303

I think you have it right...
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2004, 02:03 am »
The two coils are in parallel and therefore would like to see half the input impedance which we will now have as the two grid resistors are also in parallel.

At least I THINK so...

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2004, 06:41 am »
The grid resistors are 47k.  Same as load.  For both channels in parallel, you can always switch to 100k per channel.

jh :)