The "Frankenplay" lives!!

G

« on: 18 Oct 2004, 09:17 pm »
Hi all,

I have been feverously (literally) working on my new preamp aka the "FrankenPlay" in order to get it ready for our annual bonfire next Friday (all GAS members are invited of course). Well it lives! It sounds really nice. I am guilty of going a little overboard on the power supply though. It will keep playing long after I turn off the power because of the over the top capacitance in the PSU. I have a few finishing touches to do tonight but it will be ready for audition anytime after that. Foreplay shootout anyone? I hope everyone who can attend will make it to the bonfire this Friday ( the 22nd). If you need directions please let me know. I'll post pics when I can. Cheers.

G

DeadFish

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2004, 09:43 pm »
Well heck Gavin!
Great for you!
I'm looking forward to a listen, and even a shootout.

Well heck, get me 'lickered up' at the bonfire, and I'll even be looking forward to jumpin' in it!  :D

You put a lot of forethought into what you were doing for a pre, and in all seriousnes am listening-forward to hear what you came up with.
On top of your amp, it ought to be nice!

Regards,
DF

G

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2004, 01:53 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Well heck Gavin!
Great for you!
I'm looking forward to a listen, and even a shootout.

Well heck, get me 'lickered up' at the bonfire, and I'll even be looking forward to jumpin' in it!  :D

You put a lot of forethought into what you were doing for a pre, and in all seriousnes am listening-forward to hear what you came up with.
On top of your amp, it ought to be nice!

Regards,
DF

Hey Fish! It sounds really nice. Much better than the Parasound. You can't beat the sound of tubes. Feel free to drop by anytime. The beer is always cold. The bonfire starts at about dark on Friday. Hope you can make it.

G

bmed

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2004, 05:40 pm »
Sweet pics!  That's a great two chasis look.  

Dang Gavin, I'm on call Friday and can't make it to the bonfire.  I finally get a meeting on this side of Ole Man River, and I can't come.  I'd like to hear your creations sometime, can I get a raincheck?

Cheers,

Brad

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2004, 10:08 pm »
Gavin, that is a sweet looking preamp you've built yourself there!
Am looking forward to hearng it.
Did you stick a phono stage in it?  I know you were waiting to tinker with some vinyl, and didn't know if you wanted to complicate the pre, or were planning another assault on your mind to come up with another unit.
Don't matter!
You got this goal accomplished in pretty mean time, so I guess you gotta be nice to Mo for a while, sit back, and enjoy the music!

Regards,
DeadFish

G

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2004, 12:59 am »
Quote from: bmed
Sweet pics!  That's a great two chasis look.  

Dang Gavin, I'm on call Friday and can't make it to the bonfire.  I finally get a meeting on this side of Ole Man River, and I can't come.  I'd like to hear your creations sometime, can I get a raincheck?

Cheers,

Brad

Hey Brad,

Absolutely you can have a rain check. Just holler before you come and I'll have the beer waiting if possible.

G

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2004, 01:07 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Gavin, that is a sweet looking preamp you've built yourself there!
Am looking forward to hearng it.
Did you stick a phono stage in it?  I know you were waiting to tinker with some vinyl, and didn't know if you wanted to complicate the pre, or were planning another assault on your mind to come up with another unit.
Don't matter!
You got this goal accomplished in pretty mean time, so I guess you gotta be nice to Mo for a while, sit back, and enjoy the music!

Regards,
DeadFish

Hey Bill!

Thanks for the compliments as always. I am looking at the prospect of building a DIY phono stage with no small amount of trepidation. I have no immediate need for one right now though as I have no table to use one with. I think I got ripped off on EBAY. I bought an old AKAI belt drive table that was in good shape with a Grado cartridge but according to the seller it has been misplaced by UPS. I've asked for a tracking number but I haven't heard back from him yet. I payed for it a month ago. Out of all the things I've bought on EBAY this is the first time that I've had a problem so I guess I shouldn't be too upset. We'll see. Besides I want to take a look at that phono stage you were telling me about and see if I can get it working.

Gavin

The Best Of Joe Sample

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2004, 03:22 am »
Very nice!

I'm jealous :mrgreen:

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2004, 03:54 am »
Beautiful work, G. Can't wait to hear it. What tubes are you using and did you include any of the Bottlehead upgrades?
steve k.

G

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2004, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Beautiful work, G. Can't wait to hear it. What tubes are you using and did you include any of the Bottlehead upgrades?
steve k.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the good words. I'm using "cleartops" right now and the sound is very nice. I have the advantage of being able to use different flavors of driver tubes in my amp so I can make the system sound dry or silky or somewhere in between using a 5687, E182CC and 7044 respectively. One day I might drop some long green on a pair of Telefunkens if I can find a nice pair and feel reasonably sure that they are indeed Telefunkens. I haven't installed any mods. The PSU is choke loaded and I have a ^&*%load of RC stages in there too. The bottom sounds pretty good right now. I may try an active load on the output stage one day though. I did build Voltsecond's S4 attenuator into the preamp with a switch to change attenuation ranges so I can use it with amps with a high input sensitivity. I use the 0dB to -30dB range with my amp. It really is much better than a standard pot. Cheers.

G

Chicago II