Electrical Noise Measurement Application Note

ACHiPo

Electrical Noise Measurement Application Note
« on: 21 Nov 2015, 02:02 pm »
I came across this application note from Fluke on electrical noise that I thought was accessible and instructive.
Fluke TB on Electrical Noise and Transients
Does anyone have experience with Fluke's 43B power quality meter?  It's about $1k, but given the cost of power conditioners and cables, I'd kinda like a measurement other than my ears that tells me what the problem is.

Fluke 43B Sales Brochure

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Electrical Noise Measurement Application Note
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2015, 02:13 pm »
I was intend to buy one when it was on production at more than 10y ago.
Local price was 5Kusd for a new unit.

Now 1K is a used one. It works w/a expensive battery, also LCD mono color blue screen wear with time and replacement are top $ as every German product and prevent the fixture due hi price.
Its a marriage for entire life, hard to sell.

OBS.: I would desire a Power Plant even used, it solves what the 43 detects.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2015, 03:58 pm »
I have a Fluke 43B.  Used it to determine that I had power line distortion higher than everyone else I measured.  Turned out to be corroded contacts in my meter base from a lightning strike in the neighborhood.  Convinced the local power company with the measurements and they came out to correct the problem.

Had DC that was being caused by the problem and toroidal power transformers were mechanically humming.  The meter does not measure DC directly, but the distortion measurement being high showed the problem. 

Also helped a local audio store find a problem with their AC power with it and that is was not caused by AC power line distortion, but computer SMPS and a bad transformer. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2015, 06:17 pm »
I was intend to buy one when it was on production at more than 10y ago.
Local price was 5Kusd for a new unit.

Now 1K is a used one. It works w/a expensive battery, also LCD mono color blue screen wear with time and replacement are top $ as every German product and prevent the fixture due hi price.
Its a marriage for entire life, hard to sell.

OBS.: I would desire a Power Plant even used, it solves what the 43 detects.
I have two PowerPlants that don't seem to do anything for me other than act as high quality extension outlets.

You're right about the price for a Fluke 43B--the price I found on line was for a used 43.  The 43Bs are about $3.5k new.  What is the difference between the 43 and 43B?
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2015, 08:10 pm by ACHiPo »

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2015, 06:29 pm »
I have a Fluke 43B.  Used it to determine that I had power line distortion higher than everyone else I measured.  Turned out to be corroded contacts in my meter base from a lightning strike in the neighborhood.  Convinced the local power company with the measurements and they came out to correct the problem.

Had DC that was being caused by the problem and toroidal power transformers were mechanically humming.  The meter does not measure DC directly, but the distortion measurement being high showed the problem. 

Also helped a local audio store find a problem with their AC power with it and that is was not caused by AC power line distortion, but computer SMPS and a bad transformer.
Rich,
This is what I'm curious to find out.  I have a low level (only audible when no music is playing and my head <3' from the speaker) hum from my AtmaSphere M60s that I'd like to eliminate.  Plus I'd like to experience the miraculous improvements from power cords/conditioners, but so far I've heard no change positive or negative.

Evan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2015, 08:44 pm »
I have two PowerPlants that don't seem to do anything for me other than act as high quality extension outlets.

You're right about the price for a Fluke 43B--the price I found on line was for a used 43.  The 43Bs are about $3.5k new.  What is the difference between the 43 and 43B?
Dont know for sure, I think the equip look is the same,
the difference is in the software. The Euro version are
different 230V. This shop made useful repair in the 43
LCD screen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-for-Fluke-43-43B-Power-Analyzer-LCD-Display-/230417649449
They have sold 24 so far.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2015, 09:02 pm »
Rich,
This is what I'm curious to find out.  I have a low level (only audible when no music is playing and my head <3' from the speaker) hum from my AtmaSphere M60s that I'd like to eliminate.  Plus I'd like to experience the miraculous improvements from power cords/conditioners, but so far I've heard no change positive or negative.

Evan
This may not be a defective amp or energy prob,
even may be a chassis cover loose, or semi loose
screw at any transformer base.

ACHiPo

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2015, 09:24 pm »
This may not be a defective amp or energy prob,
even may be a chassis cover loose, or semi loose
screw at any transformer base.
Agreed the amp hum may not be a power issue. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2015, 11:30 pm »

Evan,
I have a PPP as well and it stopped the transformer hum.  It has a low distortion output that should stop DC to the transformers.

Sounds like it might be something else.

ACHiPo

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2015, 12:45 am »
Evan,
I have a PPP as well and it stopped the transformer hum.  It has a low distortion output that should stop DC to the transformers.

Sounds like it might be something else.
Rich,
What's a PPP?
Evan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2015, 01:04 am »
Parallel Push Pull;

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2015, 03:58 am »
PS Audio Power Plant Premier

ACHiPo

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:16 am »
PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Thanks.  So you're happy with it?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2015, 02:49 pm »
Yes, I have lots of noise issues that it helped with, including light dimmer noise.  My case maybe more problematic than most, but it works for me.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2015, 02:53 pm »
DC on the lines is a rare problem that shouldn't happen these days... for most folks an emi/rfi filter with decent surge protection is enough. Maybe balanced power too, but it's benefits are overstated.