Finally pulled the trigger

Flyin_V

Finally pulled the trigger
« on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:58 pm »
Hi fellow Omega folks,

Ordered a pair of Alnico Monitors in Mahogany laminate today. I bought a used pair of 3XRS some months back to get a taste of the Omega sound. I think they'll appear in the trading post in a month or so.  :D From all the positive feedback, the Alnicos should work out very nicely. :thumb:

ihor

Re: Finally pulled the trigger
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:19 pm »
I am also a new to Omega.  My Super Alnico Monitors are arriving tomorrow.  Just in time for Thanksgiving.

kevtn8

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:32 am »
Congratulations and welcome to the Omega Alnico club. My Alnico monitors won't be arriving until the end of the month if I'm lucky. Just curious but what amps and stands will you guys be pairing them with? If you research a bit here on the Omega forums, you have to use high quality stands to get the most out of the Alnico monitors.

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:40 am »
Welcome to the Super Alnico club, all of you!!

As a fellow member myself, I can confidently say "you done good"! The hardest part is the wait! But after that.... pure musical bliss!

Enjoy folks! It doesn't get much better than the Alnicos!  :thumb:

:beer:

md92468

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:56 am »
Any of you folks in NYC? I may join the Omega Club (that sounds almost apocalyptic), but I'd like to have a listen first. Shipping's a hassle (can't ship to my building; UPS store is 2 subway rides away), so I'd prefer to at least hear the "house sound" first. Happy to supply the beverages for your trouble... ;)

Flyin_V

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:43 am »
ihor, I bet you'll be up late tomorrow night.  :lol:

kevtn8,  I plan on using the ISO Acoustics stands (which are loss-y but do make a nice improvement in resolution and focus) so I don't think I'll need a heavy, solid stand. Going to start on cinder blocks and see how that works. I have a Bottlehead Stereomour (which Louis says works great w/ the Alnicos), but David Berning's ZOTL 10 really has my interest. Unfortunately, it's such a rare beast it's hard to get feedback.

MarkR7, thanks for the welcome. I agree with you and hope it doesn't get much better  :thumb:

md92468, sorry I'm on the left coast.

Now, if I can forget about them until a couple of mystery packages arrive!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2015, 05:36 am »
For months now there has been a run on Super Alnico Monitors and it's hard to keep up with all the members who have joined the Alnico Club.  So I will do a blanket congratulations!

Also, congratulations to all those who have bought 3s, 7s, and subs!  Oh yes, and don't let me forget CustomShop and OutLaws.

May you all have many years of listening pleasure.  CR

:banana piano: :drums: :guitar: :thankyou: :hyper: :dance: :rotflmao: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 08:14 pm by Canada Rob »

kevtn8

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2015, 08:07 am »
ihor, I bet you'll be up late tomorrow night.  :lol:

kevtn8,  I plan on using the ISO Acoustics stands (which are loss-y but do make a nice improvement in resolution and focus) so I don't think I'll need a heavy, solid stand. Going to start on cinder blocks and see how that works. I have a Bottlehead Stereomour (which Louis says works great w/ the Alnicos), but David Berning's ZOTL 10 really has my interest. Unfortunately, it's such a rare beast it's hard to get feedback.

MarkR7, thanks for the welcome. I agree with you and hope it doesn't get much better  :thumb:

md92468, sorry I'm on the left coast.

Now, if I can forget about them until a couple of mystery packages arrive!

Flyin_V, how do you like the Stereomour and what speakers were you using before? My curiosity with DHT SETs came about after talking to my friend and discovering the Stereomour. However, I'm very happy with my Zen Select (especially after the upgrades) and feel the Alnicos will compliment it well. Regarding speaker stands, high quality doesn't always mean heavy or mass loaded stands. I will be using the same Skylan stands on the Omega website following Canada Rob's 'lossy' damping method so you won't be the only one. 

ihor

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:22 pm »
Congratulations and welcome to the Omega Alnico club. My Alnico monitors won't be arriving until the end of the month if I'm lucky. Just curious but what amps and stands will you guys be pairing them with? If you research a bit here on the Omega forums, you have to use high quality stands to get the most out of the Alnico monitors.

Seems like I will be in contrast to most folks on this forum regarding how I will be driving the Omega's.  I have a Unison Unico hybrid integrated, with a 12au7 (Seimens) front end and a solid state 80 watt/channel amp section.  A wonderful integrated, and can be had for a reasonable price used.  Highly recommended (I occasionally think about buying a second one just to have as a backup!).

For stands, I have a friend who is a master woodworker who is going to build me hardwood stands that will be a cross between the Skylan and Resonant Woods stands.

ihor

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2015, 01:26 pm »
Any of you folks in NYC? I may join the Omega Club (that sounds almost apocalyptic), but I'd like to have a listen first. Shipping's a hassle (can't ship to my building; UPS store is 2 subway rides away), so I'd prefer to at least hear the "house sound" first. Happy to supply the beverages for your trouble... ;)

Sorry, I am in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:25 pm »
Seems like I will be in contrast to most folks on this forum regarding how I will be driving the Omega's.  I have a Unison Unico hybrid integrated, with a 12au7 (Seimens) front end and a solid state 80 watt/channel amp section.  A wonderful integrated, and can be had for a reasonable price used.  Highly recommended (I occasionally think about buying a second one just to have as a backup!).

For stands, I have a friend who is a master woodworker who is going to build me hardwood stands that will be a cross between the Skylan and Resonant Woods stands.
Hello ihor,

If you find your speakers sounding thin when running with your amp unless you turn it up loud, it will be the amp, not the speakers.  Some solid state amps don't sound their best until they are cranked up a bit, which for lower efficiency speakers is fine, but with the highly efficient Omegas would be way too loud.  I hope your Unison is one of those solid state amps that exhibits full dynamics from a whisper.

ihor

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2015, 03:58 pm »
Hello ihor,

If you find your speakers sounding thin when running with your amp unless you turn it up loud, it will be the amp, not the speakers.  Some solid state amps don't sound their best until they are cranked up a bit, which for lower efficiency speakers is fine, but with the highly efficient Omegas would be way too loud.  I hope your Unison is one of those solid state amps that exhibits full dynamics from a whisper.

Rob,

I certainly hope so as well!  I had not envisioned needing to replace my amp to go along with my speaker upgrade.  I also have a classic Marantz 2270 receiver that I plan on using to break-in the Omegas, so will be curious how different things will sound between the Unison and the Marantz.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2015, 04:11 pm »

I think a solid stand would still be important, as it will allow the IsoAcoustics platform to do it's job better. Cinder blocks should be nice and solid if not the prettiest option...

For all others I'd strongly suggest going with a stand short enough to allow you to use an IsoAcoustics platform between the speakers and the stand. The stand can/should be coupled to the floor securely, spikes or whatever, the IsoAcoustics platform will do all the isolation.

ihor

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2015, 10:11 pm »
Well, with 25 mins of playing time so far they sound pretty good with Sarah Jarosz.  And no issues with the Unison (whew!!).  Now on to a swing through my music collection!

rebbi

« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2015, 02:16 am »
From another Alnico Monitor owner, welcome to the club and enjoy!   :thumb:

Flyin_V

« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2015, 07:10 pm »
Flyin_V, how do you like the Stereomour and what speakers were you using before? My curiosity with DHT SETs came about after talking to my friend and discovering the Stereomour. However, I'm very happy with my Zen Select (especially after the upgrades) and feel the Alnicos will compliment it well. Regarding speaker stands, high quality doesn't always mean heavy or mass loaded stands. I will be using the same Skylan stands on the Omega website following Canada Rob's 'lossy' damping method so you won't be the only one.

kevtn8,

I like the Stereomour very much.  It's not  tubey sounding but has an open, inviting sound that puts the performers in the room with my 3XRS.  About 6 years ago, I had a Zen Select for a month but returned it. That amp was faster than the Stereomour, better micro details and the focus was first rate.  I imagine with Omegas, it would be fantastic.  A friend of mine made speakers for a few years and that's what I used. They were a MTM 2 way with 2 5" carbon fiber drivers and a silk dome tweeter with a 1st order crossover.

Last year when we listened to the Iso Acoustic stands, we used a decent, but not Omega quality monitor. We could easily hear when they were in or out of the system but had difficulty hearing whether they were on my heavy steel stands or my neighbors cheap stands. With the hi res Omegas might be a different ball game.