"Is vinyl's sonic superiority a hoax?"

geowak

Re: "Is vinyl's sonic superiority a hoax?"
« Reply #80 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:37 pm »
I have the additional expense problem. If I decide to get back into albums, the cost of the turntable, tonearm, cartridge and phono preamp is more than I could afford. Darn it....

jimtranr

« Reply #81 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:47 pm »
RTR also have limited useful life.

So do we.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #82 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:05 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,
I don't get it ????
What's you point with that link - video ????  :scratch:
I've listen to it several time to see - hear
if I missed something, but... ????

Guy 13
:scratch: If I understand you rigth, Iam showing which CD I wear by listen it almost everyday.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #83 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:20 pm »
I have the additional expense problem. If I decide to get back into albums, the cost of the turntable, tonearm, cartridge and phono preamp is more than I could afford. Darn it....

A greater question is how much does one have to spend on these things to attain that supposed superiority? A cheap arm, cartridge and pre ain't going to cut it. It takes bucks, big bucks.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #84 on: 19 Nov 2015, 05:36 pm »
I think it a paranoid stretch to call the "superiority of vinyl" a hoax. To me it registers as an opinion, nothing more.

Instead I wonder why this is even a discussion. It comes off like who's tougher, Superman or Batman? That was a pretty hot topic back when my age was in single digits. For aging men, it seems like senility.

For my part, I have been clinging to my turntable and vinyl for years beyond the point of realism. I rarely play an LP and hardly ever spin a CD either. I watch a lot of Netflix movies and wander around the cyberverse groping for anything that might prove interesting. So - I bought me a 27 inch iMac with 5K Retina display and will be shopping for a 4K TV come springtime. My main sound system is used primarily for FM these days. I should sell it too. I just don't care about hifi no mo.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #85 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:17 pm »
I just don't care about hifi no mo.

Jeez, that's too bad. Especially for Mr Rowland.

dminches

« Reply #86 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:34 pm »
A greater question is how much does one have to spend on these things to attain that supposed superiority? A cheap arm, cartridge and pre ain't going to cut it. It takes bucks, big bucks.

I disagree.  If you prefer the sound of analog vs. digital you don't have to spend tons to get that.  Good digital is expensive too.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #87 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:36 pm »

As I have said numerous times it is not the money spent. It is the experience and knowledge of what is available and what works well together.
    Yes there are tradeoffs and differences no question there. However the differences are small for the difference in pricing. It becomes  matter of omission rather than one sounding bad and the other good.
     If we take $5000 for a DAC and transport and $5000 for TT/arm/cart and phono stage obviously the digital will provide more bang for the buck.
    Which is better is personal as ones preference may be different than others. For me LP's give me more emotional impact. I have both digital and vinyl. I like them both. Depends on program material mostly IMO. A solo drum kit I like better with digital. Piano or violin vinyl.
    No winner really they both have advantages and disadvantages. No hoax just different.

charles

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #88 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:38 pm »
I just don't care about hifi no mo.
Why do you continue to peruse this forum? Go over to AVS where the HT fans and TV folks hang out.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #89 on: 19 Nov 2015, 06:51 pm »
Why do you continue to peruse this forum? Go over to AVS where the HT fans and TV folks hang out.

He loves us  :wink:

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #90 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:00 pm »
This forum is addictive.

simoon

« Reply #91 on: 19 Nov 2015, 07:44 pm »
Although I've never thought I had great hearing, my opinion of vinyl hasn't changed in 30 years (and I wear protection).  How do vinylphiles tolerate all the surface noise and lack of dynamic range?  And why would you limit yourselves to such a small/hard to find/expensive range of recordings?

Interesting multi part article on the alleged inferiority of dynamic range of vinyl. Includes results from tests.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dynamic-comparison-of-lps-vs-cds-part-4

Pretty much demonstrates there is usable information below the noise floor, that is not included in the dynamic range specs of vinyl.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #92 on: 19 Nov 2015, 08:53 pm »
I'm strictly 2 channel and I have largely abandoned any aspirations toward better sound. I keep coming back here for the soap opera. It never occurred to me to visit a home theater site.
Are you inviting me to leave since I have openly admitted to breaking ranks?

Guy 13

« Reply #93 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:09 pm »
:scratch: If I understand you rigth, Iam showing which CD I wear by listen it almost everyday.

Hi FullRangeMan,
O.K. now I get it ! Thanks.  :thumb:

Guy 13

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #94 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:19 pm »
I'm strictly 2 channel and I have largely abandoned any aspirations toward better sound. I keep coming back here for the soap opera. It never occurred to me to visit a home theater site.
No, I thought that AVS might be more useful to you than AC. If you're more interested in TV than music, AVS is a good place to go.

twitch54

« Reply #95 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:39 pm »

not at all……..senility is fun to watch !

GentleBender

« Reply #96 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:53 pm »
Really, what did Macrojack say to deserve that? :scratch: I have actually enjoyed discussing things with him. Just because he is not into hifi at the moment does not mean you can't learn a thing or two from him. He's played in the hifi game probably longer than you and should be allowed his own opinion without attack. I believe that was completely uncalled for.

mjosef

« Reply #97 on: 19 Nov 2015, 09:55 pm »
"Is vinyl's sonic superiority a hoax?"

Matters not if the music I like(95+%) is not available on vinyl...

And for the record, in most rigs where I did like the vinyl source vs the digital, the vinyl rig cost  dwarfs the digital cost. The most lopsided, the digital cost 12K+ vs the vinyl where the cartridge alone cost almost 9K, add in the turntable @ 16k, the arm @ 15K, the stand for the table at 8K...not a fair fight.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #98 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:09 pm »
Really, what did Macrojack say to deserve that? :scratch: I have actually enjoyed discussing things with him. Just because he is not into hifi at the moment does not mean you can't learn a thing or two from him. He's played in the hifi game probably longer than you and should be allowed his own opinion without attack. I believe that was completely uncalled for.
I didn't tell him to go over to AVS and never comeback. :scratch: It's possible to participate in more than one forum.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #99 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:32 pm »
No, I thought that AVS might be more useful to you than AC. If you're more interested in TV than music, AVS is a good place to go.

And the topic is alive and well there too ...
http://www.avsforum.com/do-you-prefer-digital-or-analog-recordings/