"Is vinyl's sonic superiority a hoax?"

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: "Is vinyl's sonic superiority a hoax?"
« Reply #240 on: 24 Dec 2015, 07:00 pm »
Up until about a month ago, well-recorded, quality-pressed analog-mastered vinyl (note all the qualifiers) had been my preferred medium due to a perceived better sense of organic flow in the classical, jazz, film score, choral, and vocal-standard program that's typical listening fare here, with hi-rez digital that meets the aforementioned production-value criteria sometimes running a close second. Now, with the acquisition of a restored 1970's-vintage analog reel-to-reel deck and some decently-produced prerecorded tapes, vinyl has been nudged to second place, with the "best" digital still just in the money at "show."

RtR is the best source I've heard but the cost of tape is too much for me.

a.wayne

« Reply #241 on: 24 Dec 2015, 07:41 pm »
Both sides of the discussion have been presented cogently, sometimes passionately, even brilliantly. But we may be in the realm of the undefinable (or unmeasurable).

I attend many classical concerts--solo, chamber and  symphony, and I play a Steinway B at home. When I ease into my Lazy-Boy for a listening session alone or with friends I naturally want to recreate what I have heard live. I have excellent analog and digital front ends and an overall system that, I blush to disclose, is first rate (both claims, eminently debatable, of course). But rarely do I find myself reaching for my digital source--whether redbook CD, SACD, stored computer files, or hi-rez downloads. When I do, I don't seem to listen very long. OTOH, I can listen to records for long stretches with genuine satisfaction and pleasure.

Is it just me? I don't think so.

I have the same experience at the homes of my friends. We do a "system hop" on occasion, spending 40 minutes at each place listening to all kinds of music before moving on.  Some of the music we are presented is from digital sources; much more (and much more requested) is from vinyl.

So, just some vagrant observations to muddy the sound picture even more. I don't believe that those of us who still prefer vinyl are necessarily confused, obstinate or deranged (well, maybe we are, but just not about that). Something is going on that we vinyl-lovers definitely hear but cannot describe in engineering terms. We are forced to use terms like, "more musical," "has a greater sense of ease," "less clinical-sounding,” etc. Not very helpful to the technical community. Sigh! Someday, perhaps we'll all figure it out together.

Until then, y'all have a merry, musical Christmas.

This has been my experiences too , even my "digital" only friends prefer analog , admittedly my recording engineer friends and  associates favor digital and pick analog apart ...  :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #242 on: 25 Dec 2015, 07:33 am »
Wow, this thread is still breathing.  :lol:

One can hardly fault another's preference on such a trivial matter. Nonetheless the passion and bias for one format over another can get a little weird... much like a heated discussion about politics. Zealots can be annoying when it comes to anything they believe. However some beliefs matter more than others. And really, there isn't nearly as much at stake here as some might imagine.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #243 on: 25 Dec 2015, 10:16 am »
Both sides of the discussion have been presented cogently, sometimes passionately, even brilliantly. But we may be in the realm of the undefinable (or unmeasurable).

I attend many classical concerts--solo, chamber and  symphony, and I play a Steinway B at home. When I ease into my Lazy-Boy for a listening session alone or with friends I naturally want to recreate what I have heard live. I have excellent analog and digital front ends and an overall system that, I blush to disclose, is first rate (both claims, eminently debatable, of course). But rarely do I find myself reaching for my digital source--whether redbook CD, SACD, stored computer files, or hi-rez downloads. When I do, I don't seem to listen very long. OTOH, I can listen to records for long stretches with genuine satisfaction and pleasure.

Is it just me? I don't think so.

I have the same experience at the homes of my friends. We do a "system hop" on occasion, spending 40 minutes at each place listening to all kinds of music before moving on.  Some of the music we are presented is from digital sources; much more (and much more requested) is from vinyl.

So, just some vagrant observations to muddy the sound picture even more. I don't believe that those of us who still prefer vinyl are necessarily confused, obstinate or deranged (well, maybe we are, but just not about that). Something is going on that we vinyl-lovers definitely hear but cannot describe in engineering terms. We are forced to use terms like, "more musical," "has a greater sense of ease," "less clinical-sounding,” etc. Not very helpful to the technical community. Sigh! Someday, perhaps we'll all figure it out together.

Until then, y'all have a merry, musical Christmas.
To be a vinyl fanatic its need some things:
-Imune to hiss and other noises,
-Dont bother w/ineluctable friction wear,
-More money and lots of luck to find and rebuy wearout LPs
Current teenagers dont wish pay any $ for music.

tube-vds

« Reply #244 on: 26 Feb 2016, 05:58 pm »
sorry, but on a good turntable with a good LP you hear almost no noise (no more than the ground noise floor in a concert hall).

ok it cost some money, but it sounds SO much more natural an dynamic than ANY cd.

absolutely agree with THROWBACK here.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #245 on: 26 Feb 2016, 06:29 pm »
There are to many variables between the source and the final output to ever solve this question.

Vinyl has as many, if not more, options than digital.  Which turntable, which type of cartridge, which kind of phono stage, how much gain, what kind of cables, etc.

On the digital side, I think a lot of it is dependent upon the DAC and more importantly the analog circuitry after the DAC and into the rest of the system as well as the source material.

Additionally, is the CD/digital source of a performance exactly the same as the analog source?  In most cases, i don't think anyone knows that.  The recording engineer does, but probably not anyone else.

Lastly, this is essentially the Tube versus Solid State argument part II (or III or IV).

I gave up on vinyl a long time ago.  I just couldn't get the sound quality and accuracy that I wanted, so I moved on.

The most important question is "Are you happy with the sound of your system?"  If it brings you musical bliss, all is good.

HsvHeelFan

tube-vds

« Reply #246 on: 27 Feb 2016, 07:38 am »
on more thing.

when trying to compare vinyl with digital don't make the mistake by comparing the two media with the same recording.

it makes no sense, because a digital recording played on a record does not bring you all the advantages of vinyl and an analog recording played on a digital system does not bring you all the advantages of digital.

no, for a real good comparison - you have to listen to the best of both media.

have fun.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #247 on: 27 Feb 2016, 11:29 am »
sorry, but on a good turntable with a good LP you hear almost no noise (no more than the ground noise floor in a concert hall).

ok it cost some money, but it sounds SO much more natural an dynamic than ANY cd.

absolutely agree with THROWBACK here.
This is personal opinion and contrary to the laws of physics, unless the Democrats revoked it without further notice.
The detail here is almost.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #248 on: 27 Feb 2016, 01:01 pm »
This is personal opinion and contrary to the laws of physics, unless the Democrats revoked without further notice.
The detail here is almost no noise.

As a volunteer and a member in good standing of the Thought Police, you know that political commentary and sarcasm is disallowed.   You neglected to use an emoticon-smiley face which, I am told, could give your comment joke status and exemption. 
Therefore I appeal to a higher authority in the Thought Police organization.

Whereas, by the laws and statutes of this forum the accused, FullRangeMan violated said law, it is asked that post #247 be stricken from the record and sent to post purgatory, the recycle bin, or whatever you call it.   

Furthermore, it has been determined by the People's Court that the rules of this forum are being applied in an arbitrary manner.  The People's Court has no authority in these matters, but a word to the wise:  Public opinion and popularity are the name of the game, and Judge Judy ain't messing around.  Oh no, Mr./Ms. Junior Administrator, she plays no games.
Sincerely,
Neobop esq.  LLC

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #249 on: 27 Feb 2016, 01:30 pm »
As a volunteer and a member in good standing of the Thought Police, you know that political commentary and sarcasm is disallowed.   You neglected to use an emoticon-smiley face which, I am told, could give your comment joke status and exemption. 
Therefore I appeal to a higher authority in the Thought Police organization.

Whereas, by the laws and statutes of this forum the accused, FullRangeMan violated said law, it is asked that post #247 be stricken from the record and sent to post purgatory, the recycle bin, or whatever you call it.   

Furthermore, it has been determined by the People's Court that the rules of this forum are being applied in an arbitrary manner.  The People's Court has no authority in these matters, but a word to the wise:  Public opinion and popularity are the name of the game, and Judge Judy ain't messing around.  Oh no, Mr./Ms. Junior Administrator, she plays no games.
Sincerely,
Neobop esq.  LLC
Impressive petition I removed noise this count in favor?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #250 on: 27 Feb 2016, 03:32 pm »
Impressive petition I removed noise this count in favor?

The post was satire.  It was about the political reference, not the noise, but I gotcha.   The serious part is about the rules being applied arbitrarily. 

The truth of the matter - I normally clean my records thoroughly when bran new.  I always apply some gain before I drop the needle.  If I'm flipping a record I usually leave the gain at listening level.  With the vast majority of records purchased new, it's dead silent until the music starts.  Sometimes I look at the volume control to see if I forgot to apply some gain.  Many of these LPs are 30 years old and played numerous times.

This part of the hobby is more satisfying for many of us who enjoy all kinds of media.  It's not our fault if others don't get it or had second rate experience in the past. 
The best playback is entirely recording dependent and no one is limited to vinyl only, so what's this thread about?  It's a lame excuse, based on a stupid article written by someone who thinks sound quality at a particular price point is the overriding consideration.  He's a moron and luckily for me, not a member here.  It's not about SQ or the "ritual" with vinyl, it's about having fun, music listening, and enjoying yourself.   Audiofools tend to forget that most people don't care about your BS, and I have it on good authority that girls just want to have fun un.
neo

Minn Mark

« Reply #251 on: 27 Feb 2016, 05:05 pm »
neobop,

Well said. My thoughts exactly.   :thumb:

Cheers,

Mark

Guy 13

« Reply #252 on: 27 Feb 2016, 05:22 pm »
I'm with you on that neobop
 :thumb:

Guy 13

tube-vds

« Reply #253 on: 28 Feb 2016, 08:03 am »
thanks neobop.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #254 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:48 pm »
Vinyl lovers are strongly attached to old habits:

Freo-1

« Reply #255 on: 28 Feb 2016, 01:50 pm »
rumble, hiss, higher noise floor in general . . . back in vinyl's heyday, it was regarded as the poor man's way into music at home.  Any self respecting audiophile had reel to reel if they wanted fidelity.

Vinyl is not only not superior to digital, it's not even near the order of magnitude to compare.

The "superiority" is tied to many recordings that were mastered beautifully to shine on that medium which translated poorly to the new digital medium "compact disc."  After engineers got used to the better noise floor, higher dynamic range, and the multitude of other benefits digital recording offered, the notion that analog, and especially vinyl, were superior was relegated to quaint notions of a flat earth and bodily humors. 

All recording is done digitally for a reason.  They certainly don't cut to vinyl to capture an excellent recording.  That should tell you all you need to know.

This pretty much "nails it".  From a technical standpoint, this explains the entire progression rather accurately.  Time marches on.

Vinyl can be a lot of fun, especially hunting for gems from the past not available anywhere else. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #256 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:17 pm »
Which digital?  Redbook or 24 bit or DSD?  Redbook digital can sound very nice and I have lots of cd's, but to say they match my analog front end is hogwash.  I have a few high res files that do give the platter spinner a run for its money.  Listening is what "nails it".

Wayner

« Reply #257 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:49 pm »
Vinyl is the closest to the original master tapes of any other medium (in the analog world). The dead wax, stamper and then the vinyl record itself are mirror images of themselves, produced by a process that is generally a near perfect reproduction of its former self and not requiring tape transfers (in some cases up to 4 times for reel to reel) to produce a ready copy for the consumer. Vinyl is the ultimate "high resolution" file. It is capable of micro-details at low levels.

While it does have its faults, many which are from human factors, such as poor equipment matching or poor or improper set-up, filthy records, it is a very capable and worthy sound reproduction format.

Wayner

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #258 on: 28 Feb 2016, 04:01 pm »
Every post in this topic is just personal opinion,
members forget to mention it.

Wayner

« Reply #259 on: 28 Feb 2016, 04:11 pm »
The entire Audiocirles is one big opinion.