Home audition

Anarchist

Home audition
« on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:08 am »
I have a friend who is all jazzed about his new Home theater setup. It is based on an Onkyo receiver and a $600 total Polk speaker system with L-C-R and two surrounds. I think that price includes the subwoofer which is powered by its own amp. I don't know what his DVD player is.

He wants me to come over and have a listen. Obviously he wants me to supply the opinion that his new system sounds fabulous.

Since I have no HT setup at all and am striving for the best 2 channel setup I can get, my reference point is in a different league, (VMPS RM40s, modded Panny XR45). What can I expect from his clearly low budget 5.1. What do I listen for?

What are some sample lines that convey what he is wanting to hear? Any Polk salesmen want to chime in?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Home audition
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:17 am »
Sample lines...naaaa  :nono: ..... I'd say......if your really are his friend...you'd tell him the truth on how it sounds. But , in a nice way... :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Home audition
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:22 am »
I think it is all about setting the proper expectations.

His goal wasn't to achieve state of the art sound, but to put together an affordable system he would enjoy.

In terms of what to listen for...just sit back and try to enjoy it.  Don't try and rip it apart.

If you can come up with constructive ways to improve the system within his budget, go ahead and let him know.

Since you know it can't possibly compare to the RM 40/X45 combo, just don't go there.  Has he heard that combo?   If not, invite him over to show what things can sound like if he chooses to upgrade in the future.

George

audioslave

ht demo
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:28 am »
I gotta agree with Lonewolf and Zybar-tell him your  opinion of his system. The only difference is that you really do not want to offend him if you do not like it as much he does. With any negative comment that you may make, be clear as to why you feel that way. I would also "sprinkle" some positive statements in there as well. Sometimes it is not the message which people may find offensive but rather the delivery and how you choose your words. Regardless of who or what, I think anyone in this hobby does put the time to create their own little piece of audio reality. I would actually turn the question around and ask him is honest opinion of his own system. In the end, he must be the one to live with it and not you. Careful with the suggestions though you have to explain that not all of us hear in the same way. Hey, each one has their own little audio journey to make and all we can do is support them in their efforts.

Anarchist

Software suggestions
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:35 am »
I was thinking of bringing over some of my own material. But, since I am ignorant of the whole HT thing and 5.1 in particular, what can I buy that will demo the system other than a movie? What do I look for that will exercise the whole 5.1 surround thing.

I suspect that only certain types of material will do this. Is it possible that all the "surround" effects are done in the Dolby world with delays etc. to simulate an effect. Wouldn't he need to own a dedicated DVD player that can also handle DVD-A discs to get the real McCoy?

Thanks for all the responses already. And for any other guide you guys can give me.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Home audition
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:36 am »
Yeah, don't bust his chops to much over his BB system! :lol:   If you can help him eke out better performance without spending money, definately do so.  If  you can suggest good upgrades within his budget, that's great, too.  

I'm not sure by your post whether your friend is the kind of guy who'll be likely to head down the audiophool path or simply remain content with his HTIB.  It may in fact be the best system he's ever heard, assuming he's not had a lot of exposure & is a total newb.  Maybe if he never hears better he'll never get too curious.  Although one listen to your rig will probably leave him crestfallen. :wink:

Anarchist

My buddy
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2004, 05:28 am »
No, He won't head down the audiophool path. He has heard my rig although not quite what it is today, and not in a very good listening environment. Prior to this purchase, it was Bose stuff. Two microscopic satellites and a little subwoofer. He thought they were great. I thought they sounded like a Victrola.

But he is very excited about his sound and his new system. Things like hearing clapping coming from behind his head trip his trigger.

I am starting to think that my interest in his setup and my asking lots of questions about it may translate into enough feed back to stoke his ego.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Home audition
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2004, 05:39 am »
IMO, the goals of HT audio and 2 channel audio setups are quite different.  For 2 channel, it is all about imaging, tonality, details, musicality.  For HT, it's all about clarity and impact.  Having said that, I believe that a satisfying HT setup can be done on a fairly modest budget, while a satisfying 2 channel setup takes a bigger budget.  Just something to keep in mind while doing the demo.

Anarchist

Impact
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2004, 06:24 am »
That's good input. Keeping in mind the goals of HT and what it is supposed to be good at.

But I don't see how his system can deliever either, especially the impact part. With my VMPS RM-40/Panny rig, I have impact out the wazoo. So I know impact. Can his setup with his little satellites deliver much impact? What movie would you use to test it out? I don't watch movies at all, really so I don't have a clue.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Home audition
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2004, 08:44 am »
Anarchist,

George is right.  Would you also tell him his wife is ugly, but with a lot of work might become passable?

Simply enjoy it for what it is, and offer any constructive ideas ... not on equipment, but on things like speaker placement and room treatments to bring out even more of the beauty within.  Who knows ... you might really enjoy it, if you just watch a movie you both like, and don't get over-analytical on it.  I guarantee that his new setup is a dramatic improvement over what he had, making his movie watching much more enjoyable.  Is that not praise-worthy?

Think about this ... he's got less than the cost of one of your speakers tied up in his whole system ... he's sitting there with a grin on his face enjying the hell out of it, while you (we) are obsessively tweaking your (our) setup to get the placement of the instruments just so, even though that's probably just the construct of the recording engineer and has nothing to do with how the band really sounds.  Who's criticizing who?  :wink:
Tim

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Home audition
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2004, 01:11 am »
George again is correct. I would buy some beer...ok lot's of beer and watch Master of Commader( I think that is the name) with Russell Crowe. I have an all VMPS HT/music set up but the sonics and sound effects are some of the best that I have ever heard recorded. There is lots of "water' effects and these are easily reproduced even on "bad" systems. Just crank up the volume and drink and have fun. This stupid hobby is about that you know. I would not say that it sucks but when he hears a better system he will know. I have lots of buddies that have Bose etc systems and when they come over to see a movie I always hear" hey that sounded great compared to my system". I basically say stuff like Really??? "Yea , I guess it sounds pretty good". But I am saying to myself.....No sh@t!!!!!! :mrgreen:

People are not stupid and they know when they are wiped.

And remember.....it might really sound good to him!!!!!  Not everyone is striving to have a great system but whatever he has it beats just watching it on a tv with tv speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry