How good is the DSpeaker Anti-mode 2 Dac?

Ultralight

How good is the DSpeaker Anti-mode 2 Dac?
« on: 14 Nov 2015, 08:52 pm »
Thanks in advance for any help.

Is this the right forum to discuss DSpeaker Anti-mode and the likes?

Anyways, my questions:

How good is the Anti-mode DAC?  Is it more cool/clear/precise or more 'organic/warm'?   I currently run the Line Magnetic 502ca and it is a wonderfully organic DAC courtesy of a friend who helped me get this DAC and it really is quite nice.  If they are close, the Dspeaker will add room correction etc.

Also, for those of you who use XLR to RCA cables, does that impact tone negatively? 

Thanks,
UL

rodge827

Re: How good is the DSpeaker Anti-mode 2 Dac?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2015, 01:20 am »
Hi UL,
The sound of the Dac on the Dual Core depends on the power supply. With the stock supply it can sound hard and forward. With the use of a linear power supply the dac softens up and sounds more natural without loosing detail. The sound is richer using the linear power supply. Cabling can effect the sound also I use DNM HFTN XLR-RCA cable with great results. The digital inputs are optical and mini usb. The optical can handle up to 24/96 and the USB 16/44.
I compared the Dual Core with a Buffalo Dac and sold the Buffalo Dac since I thought the Dual Core sounded better.
I use my 2012 version as a Dac(optical input) room correction and preamp. I have used it with many amps and drove them well except for amps that require 1.5V+ input.
Hope this helps,
Chris

What amp do you use?

Ultralight

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:13 am »
Much grateful for your comment.

Currently  I use the Line Magnetic 518ia tube amp.  It's a wonderful amp - more amp than I ever thought I could get when I started.

If I use the DAC, I'll use the USB input from my laptop.  I just read somewhere in one of the earlier posts that the USB input results were not that great.  Do you think this is true?  or has there been multiple versions of the Anti-mode ii models? 

I don't even know what a linear supply is - until I googled.  Not sure if I am still clear on what it is.  May I ask what would one cost generally?

Since you own one, do you know if the dual-core has high pass and low pass capability for each of the four outputs?

Also nteresting that you talked about the XLR-RCA cable.  I too need one of those to output to my self powered subs that only has RCA input.  You did not find degradation of quality compared to the native RCA output? 

Thanks again - glad to be 'chatting' with you.
UL

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:42 am »
Nice amp!

I'm sure that the high and low pass is for all channels since they output at the same time and are not assignable.

The USB input doesn't sound "bad" most of the complaints are that it will only do 16/44 (red book) quality. An IFi IUSB and iPurifier will help, or get a USB to spdif converter and use the spdif (optical) input. The benefit is you can do 24/96 through it. IFi makes one the iLink and Empirical Audio makes on as well.

The power input is 12vdc .5Amps, I use an Astron sl11a linear supply on mine, Paul Hynes here on AC makes a very good LPS.

I use the XLR-RCA  on my amp and 10' RCA-RCA cables to my subs.

Hope this helps,
Chris