help selecting an Odyssey amp for my system

hifimojo04

« on: 17 Oct 2004, 08:29 pm »
I'm extremely interested in getting an Odyssey amp for my system.

So far I'm using a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver with B&W 805 speakers (and a matching sub).  

I really think the Yamaha can't drive the B&W's well.  I used to leave it on all the time, but the receiver kept overheating while trying to drive the B&W's so I have to shut it off whenever it's not playing.

I'm eventually planning to upgrade to B&W 804's, so I want an Odyssey amp to go well with those.

I'm thinking of getting the Stratos Plus, Stratos Extreme, or Stratos Dual Mono.  I'm not sure which one.  I want it to sound good, but I don't want overkill.  I like a highly accurate detailed sound, neither bright nor warm, and very musical.   I'm also planning to get the Groneberg ICs from Klaus.  

I have 3 questions:

1)  Which Odyssey amp would you get for my system and why?

2) Is anyone familiar with the Yamaha RX-V2400, and how different will (or should) the system sound by adding an Odssey to the picture?

3)  Does anyone know the current wait time to get the Odyssey amp?  I'd like to have this around Thanksgiving, but definitely before Christmas.

Thanks!

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2004, 09:01 pm »
good move - i used a yamaha rxv1 with my odyssey monos-
yamaha amps didnt have enough oomph for my 3.5 ways-
odyssey was also alot smoother and easier on the ears-

call about  time

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2004, 11:32 pm »
Specs on the speaks claim 87db efficiency and 4ohms.  So even though they're stand mounts I don't think the Stratos Dual Mono would be overkill.  It'll have plenty for these, as would the Stereo Extreme, but the dual mono may be better in the long run if you ever think you'll go larger with speakers.

As for improving the Yamaha, when I added an amp to my Denon 3802 it was like going from listening in black and white to listening in color.  Huge difference!

hifimojo04

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2004, 01:25 am »
Thanks.  I'm still debating on which of the three amps to get.
What is the difference in sound between a Stratos Plus and a Stratos Extreme and then from a Stratos Extreme to a Dual Mono?  

Are the Groneberg cables worth it?

rosconey, I see you have a HD Dish network receiver.  I have an older Dish network, but I listen to their Sirius music a lot.  How much better is the sound quality using the digital out (thus external DAC) for the Sirius music then using the Dish network receiver's analog outs?  Is the Sirius quality degraded so much that there's no difference, or is there a big difference?

KarlDL

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2004, 03:43 am »
Extreme primarily improves low end authority & weight over Plus.  Secondary benefit is small improvement in midrange clarity in the presence of significant bottom end.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2004, 03:52 am »
Quote from: KarlDL
Extreme primarily improves low end authority & weight over Plus.  Secondary benefit is small improvement in midrange clarity in the presence of significant bottom end.

Actually this happens at every upgrade to the Odyssey amp line up through the Symphonic Line series.

John151

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:21 am »
Only way to really find out is to jump in and get your feet wet.  I recently picked up a Stereo Stratos with Cap Upgrades from AudiogoN, and am in the process of obtaining a Stratos HT-3.  I have a 5.1 Magnepan system, so I can relate to owning speakers that are hard to drive.  Although I am still very new to my Stratos, it has yet to even get warm, while my A/V receiver is running like a coal fired furnace.  My goal is to replace the receiver with a Pre, and be totally Klaus powered.

Digi-G

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2004, 12:18 pm »
I've got the Stratos Extreme that I am using with my B&W 805's and a Denon 3300 receiver.  Initially I didn't hear much of a difference when I added the Stratos.  Then the amp started going thru the break-in process and eventually both, the highs and lows, became more extended.  (I'll admit that I really didn't "believe" in break-in until I heard it first hand with this amp).  Although I do have a subwoofer, I feel that the Stratos is helping me get all of the mid-bass I can get from the 805's (I run them full range).

The amp definitely runs cool.   Even when pushed it's never become anything more than warm.  It's very quiet and just stays out of the way - I've never had any spurious noise or problems due to the amp (except for a slight hum which Klaus helped me fix).

I can't comment on the other flavors of the Stratos, but other than the 805's themselves, the Stratos Extreme is the best addition I've made to my system.

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2004, 12:49 pm »
i tried dish and it was a major hassle, went back to cable.
never tried sirius-

you might also think about the karthago monos :mrgreen: wonder if  klaus is doing a extreme mono karthago.