Streaming Basics

jsalk

Streaming Basics
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:34 pm »
We recently sent out a newsletter on the subject of streaming audio to those on our mailing list.  Since many people who are not on our mailing list visit this site, we thought we might duplicate the newsletter here for those who might be interested.  So here goes...

Streaming 101

There is little doubt that music streaming is becoming more popular and the added convenience and versatility is changing the way people listen to music. But for those not familiar with the basics, delving into streaming can be a bit intimidating.

So we thought it would be helpful to outline some of the basics involved for those who are new to the concept. If you already have some experience in this area, you can probably stop reading now unless you want to touch up on the basics. The purpose here is to outline the basics for those who have considered streaming but were a bit intimidated by the technology.

Here are the topcis we will cover in this issue:

Streaming Basics

There are many advantages to storing all of your music on a streaming device. The main one is obviously convenience. Systems can be designed so that you never have to leave your chair to change music tracks that are all at your fingertips (via an iPad or similar device). But there are other advantages as well.

You can search your music collection by artist, album, song title, genre or simply browse your collection. Better yet, you can create multiple playlists, each reflecting a certain musical style or mood. And the ease with which you can change tracks will change the way you listen to music forever. Once you stream, there is no going back!

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=199

Music File Formats

With the advent of CD's came a digital music standard called "Redbook." Redbook is a PCM (pulse code modulation) standard that features a word length of 16 bits and a sampling rate of 44,100 samples per second. It was calculated that this combination could adequately reproduce frequencies up to 22,050 cycles per second with a dynamic range (the difference between the softest and loudest passages) of about 90db (which was better than either audio tape or vinyl at the time). Since humans can only hear to about 20,000 cycles per second and less as they age, this was felt to be plenty sufficient for the task at hand. For many years, Redbook remained the go-to standard for digital recordings

Starting in the late 90's, however, recording studios began recording at higher resolutions...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=203

Compression

Why Compression?

Back in the early days of the iPod (not all that long ago), music files were often transferred over the Internet. Internet speeds were slower then and storage capacities on mp3 players and iPods were not that great. So there was a real need to compress music files to speed up downloads and minimize storage requirements. The most popular compression format developed in that era was .mp3, which remains in wide use today.

Lossy Compression

Formats like mp3 are called "lossy" formats. This is because when music files are compressed using the .mp3 format, compression is accomplished by throwing information away. This makes for a very compact file, but some of the information contained in the original file is lost and can never again be recovered. It could easily be said that since the earliest days of audio, the mp3 format represented the first "innovation" that actually served to decrease the quality of sound reproduction. Even though it offers low levels of sound quality, mp3 remains the most popular format in use today.

Uncompressed

If you are building a music streaming system today, it would seem that maintaining the highest quality level should be among your top priorities...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=207

Ripping Basics

The are quite a few computer applications that can successfully "rip" audio tracks from CDs, DVDs, etc. to your music storage device. Not only can they copy the files, but they can also compress them prior to storage. Most all of them can copy a CD or DVD with a reasonable degree of accuracy. But while all of them adopt strategies to insure the highest possible transfer quality, none can "guarantee" a bit-perfect copy of the original file.

Ripping Accuracy

When transferring a computer program from a CD or DVD to your computer, a simple one bit error in the transfer can render the program unusable. So one would assume that since a computer can read a program CD or DVD with total accuracy, copying music from a CD or DVD would be equally accurate. Unfortunately, such is not the case...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=205

DACs

There are probably at least a hundred models of outboard digital to analog converters (DACs)on the market today - some very good and some merely average. But even a mediocre-performing outboard DAC will often out-perform the DACs in most consumer CD players. That being the case, how do you go about selecting the right DAC for your system?

There are several criteria you can use to narrow down the potential field. They include:

• the file resolutions you would like to support;
  • compatibility with your music storage/streaming device;
  • required inputs and outputs; and,
  • your budget.

Let's take these one by one...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=209

StreamPlayer Story

The Story

A number of years ago, we were displaying our speakers at the California Audio Show. We were using a Denon CD player as the source driving a very good sounding DAC. Since it was the DAC that was responsible for the sound quality, we didn't see any reason to use another player. But people would peer into the room, see the Denon, assume the sound quality was not worth a listen and move on. So we obviously had to do something different.

In addition, working with CD's at a show was not the most convenient. So we made it our mission to return the following year with the best source streaming player we could find. Thus began our search for the ideal player...

Read more... http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=249

Enjoy...

- Jim

jsalk

Re: Streaming Basics
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2015, 03:55 pm »
I received a PM yesterday with the following comment...

"I'm still confused how it all comes together.  Maybe you could provide a simple diagram showing how the computer, streamer, dac, preamp, phone/tablet, and music player software  all hook up?  I'm most confused on where the music player resides - streamer or computer."

Perhaps others are still confused as well, so I thought I'd post my response here.

A complete streaming system consists of the following components:
  • A music storage device
  • A music player device (hardware and software)
  • A DAC
  • A preamp
  • An amp
  • Speakers
  • A remote control device

Sometimes you will find several of these functions in a single unit.  For example, an Auralic Vega DAC has a built in preamp with volume control, so you can hook it directly to your amp without a preamp in between.  In all cases, the player software will reside on the computer or streamer device you are using.

So let's take a look at a couple of possible scenarios...

Let's say you were using a computer as your source.  Your music would be stored on a computer and the music player would be a software application running on that computer.  So the setup would look something like this: computer --> DAC --> preamp --> amp --> speakers.  In this case, a mouse/keyboard would control the player application running on the computer. Or, in some cases, there might be an application that is available to remotely control the player software via an app on an iPad, iPhone or Android device.  That would all depend on the player software you are using on the computer and what kind of functions are built into that application. Note: If you are not using a remote application running on something like an iPad, no network connection is required for this setup (but you will need to use a monitor/mouse/keyboard to control things).

This next example is just a bit more complicated.  It involves storing your music on a network storage device (NAS), which is nothing more than a dedicated data storage device attached to your network and accessible by all the computers on your network.  That would look something like this:  NAS --> computer --> DAC --> preamp --> amp --> speakers.  The computer in this case is performing the same function but instead of playing music stored internally, it would access the music stored on the NAS. Obviously, the use of a NAS means you must have network connections for this setup.

In the final example, let's look at using a device like our StreamPlayer as the source.  In this case, the StreamPlayer is your storage device and it has a built-in player software application running on it.  So that setup would look something like this: StreamPlayer --> DAC --> preamp --> amp --> speakers.  Since the StreamPlayer does not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse, you would use an iPhone, iPad, Android phone or Android tablet as a remote control.  These would communicate with the StreamPlayer through your network so these devices would act like a wireless remote control.

You will notice that in all of these examples, the "Player" is a software application running on your computer or your streamer (which is simply a dedicated computer).

As for remote control, some player software applications and all streaming devices like our StreamPlayer have remote control applications that run on iOS and Android devices.  These wireless devices communicate with your music player through your network.  There are functions built into the player software that monitor the network for commands sent by other networked applications.  So hitting "play" on an iPad, for example, sends a command string to the network and it is seen and executed by the player software running on your computer or streamer.  Obviously, the computer or streamer must be connected to the network in this case.

I hope that clears things up.  If not, feel free to any additional questions you may have.

- Jim

seadogs1

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2015, 05:50 pm »
Jim, Which software can you use with your streamer if you are Mac OS X El Capitan user?

sfox7076

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2015, 05:55 pm »
I think it uses ROON, but I may be wrong.

ASCTLC

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2015, 05:57 pm »
Thank you Jim!!    :notworthy:    This is the kind help people like me need to get further than still sitting on the fence of confusion.

Andy

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2015, 08:42 pm »
Jim, Which software can you use with your streamer if you are Mac OS X El Capitan user?

I assume you are talking about a software application running on a Mac that you can use to control the StreamPlayer.

First, there is a web interface built into the StreamPlayer.  You can call it up from any computer on your network...Mac, Windows or Linux.  As part of this web interface, there is a web page with a web-based control application called Rompr.  We included it so that new users could get up and running fast without having to deal with the remote control software right off the bat.  It works quite well.  So that is one option.

Another option is Gnome Music Player.  This is a more traditional software application that can be installed on a Mac.  The installation is somewhat involved, but here is a link... 
http://gmpclient.org/installation

Another option is a somewhat stripped down MPD client called Theremin.  It is a small, capable application without a lot of bells and whistles to complicate things. Simple but competent.  Here is a link...
[url]https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24688/theremin[\url]

There are probably quite a few other programs that will install and run on a Mac.  And, of course, there are even more for iPhones and iPads.  But these would get you started.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2015, 08:43 pm »
I think it uses ROON, but I may be wrong.

No, ROON is a music streaming service.  ROON can probably be streamed to the StreamPlayer using Airplay, but would not control the StreamPlayer directly.

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2015, 09:27 pm »
I've been using Rompr exclusively since getting my Salkstreamer. I tried other apps, pretty much every other Android MPD client app, but none seemed to support album art as well as Rompr. Poor album art support is a deal breaker for me. It's also simple to use, never has a hiccup. It just works.

Cornelis

sfox7076

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2015, 09:56 pm »
ROON isn't a streaming service.  I am not sure how to describe it, so he can:  http://www.techhive.com/article/2923915/home-audio/roon-is-must-have-software-for-hardcore-music-fans.html 

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2015, 10:01 pm »
ROON isn't a streaming service.  I am not sure how to describe it, so he can:  http://www.techhive.com/article/2923915/home-audio/roon-is-must-have-software-for-hardcore-music-fans.html 

My bad.  You are right.  ROON is a music player application that can run on a Mac or a PC, much the same as JRiver but with a different feature set.

- Jim

seadogs1

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2015, 01:49 pm »
I'm old and not as up to date as some of the other guys and gals but I assume that the Streamer needs to be backed up? Or am I wrong in that assumption? Thanks!

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:48 pm »
I'm old and not as up to date as some of the other guys and gals but I assume that the Streamer needs to be backed up? Or am I wrong in that assumption? Thanks!

First, there is a web interface built into the StreamPlayer. You can call it up from any computer on your network...Mac, Windows or Linux. 

Nothing wrong with being old, I'm really, really old and have been streaming music for years, it's easy.

If the hard drive with the data (i.e. computer or NAS storage) dies without a backup - you loose all your music.
Hard drives are mechanical, every single one made since the beginning of the computer age will fail, all future hard drives will fail, just a fact of life.
My music hard drive recently had the S.M.A.R.T. warning pop up, I wasn't concerned because I have a current backup. I replaced it last week.

I don't know if Jim supplies a clean install disk or imaging software with the Streamer.

Wayne

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2015, 03:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with being old - I'm about 448 in dog years :green:

I have a couple of music servers with hard drives attached. In addition, I have another or 3rd set of hard drives with the files. I will be moving to NAS within the next year or so as it will be easier with four 4TB hard drives with two being for the files and the other two for back-up. I have about 5TB of music files. If one has less, NAS with a couple of hard drives should be fine.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2015, 03:56 pm »

Well I'm ruggedly handsome! I use 3x 5 TB external hard drives dog. One is attached to the music server (computer) that is the source for all tunes played. I don't stream music over the internet. The other 2 hard drives are back-ups to the first one. At $149 each, that is cheap insurance if one craps out that I have two back-ups to save all that work. When I rip new tunes of sufficient quantity, say 5 or more CD's, then I attach the two back-ups and copy over the new data. That way I am not too out of date at any one time. I also keep the back-ups in separate firesafes away from the music room.

If I can figure this ripping and music server thing out, anyone can. Now that I am doing it, I never fire up the CD player. I buy used CD's or download high rez material. I throw the CD's in a box or give them to my family for their cars.

The more sophisticated fellows here use a stand-alone hard drive, a NAS, and grab music off of it all over the house, not just in the listening room. I will do that eventually.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:54 pm »

Hard drives are mechanical, every single one made since the beginning of the computer age will fail, all future hard drives will fail, just a fact of life.
My music hard drive recently had the S.M.A.R.T. warning pop up, I wasn't concerned because I have a current backup. I replaced it last week.

I don't know if Jim supplies a clean install disk or imaging software with the Streamer.

Wayne

I believe one of the options uses solid state drives only-not moving parts at all.  No clue what the life expectancy of those are, but having several terabytes on ssd is very shiny.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:09 pm »
I believe one of the options uses solid state drives only-not moving parts at all.  No clue what the life expectancy of those are, but having several terabytes on ssd is very shiny.

SSDs can fail, and until the technology matures the number of read/write cycles, particularly in the entry-level consumer tier, is significantly lower than that of mechanical HDDs.  If you have data you want to preserve backups are required insurance, regardless of the media type.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2015, 08:32 pm »
I recently migrated my operating system (Win 7) and all the programs from a HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD which, if you like speed, is the way to go. Tip: don't get the 840 EVO, looks like they lasted 3 years at best.

"The 850 EVO doubles the endurance and reliability compared to the previous generation 840 EVO and features a class-leading 5 year warranty. With enhanced long-term reliability, the 850 EVO assures long term dependable performance of up to 30% longer than the previous generation 840 EVO."

Samsung also makes the  850 Pro SSD for more money:
"Samsung's V-NAND technology is built to handle a minimum of 150 Terabytes Written (TBW) over the lifetime of the drive, which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a 10-year period. Plus, it comes with the industry's top-level ten-year limited warranty".

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:42 pm »
For backup purposes, the StreamPlayer shows up as a disk drive on your computer and can be backed up the way you would back up any drive.

There is also an incremental backup available via a Linux command for those willing to enter the command via a terminal application. Or you can simply copy new files to your backup disc as BRM indicated above.

- Jim

benguin

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2015, 12:24 am »
Has anyone been using cloud storage for either their music files or back ups?  I'm generally one that likes to keep my primary data local, but we are seeing more and more cloud options that are pretty inexpensive.

I think I'm going to have to consider a StreamPlayer, as I'm getting tired of dealing with my Windows solution via PC.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 16 Nov 2015, 12:50 am »
Has anyone been using cloud storage for either their music files or back ups?  I'm generally one that likes to keep my primary data local, but we are seeing more and more cloud options that are pretty inexpensive.

I think I'm going to have to consider a StreamPlayer, as I'm getting tired of dealing with my Windows solution via PC.

For now, I keep stuff locally as well with a secondary music server as a back-up.  I will be moving at some point (probably within a year or so) to NAS.