DIY SACD and DVD ?

Eduardo AAVM

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« on: 26 Feb 2003, 04:12 pm »
Hello I think some here may be interested in the following link, it is a manufacturer or distributor for parts to assembly SACD players, DVD's, etc. maybe useful and interesting for you DIY experts.

http://www.daisy-laser.com/products.htm

I e-mailed them but never got a reply so I do not know if they will answer your questions.

(I have no direct or indirect affiliation to the company)

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2003, 09:29 am »
well that has thrown my one box idea in the air again!!

cant find any prices,will keep looking

rob

giorgio

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2003, 01:35 pm »
Very interesting, i'm very curiois to build a DVD with this parts
here a guy use the cd kits for a diy transport http://www.geocities.com/agalavotti/cdpro.htm

Why we don't try do bulid the dvd versiion with a dac inside?
Anyone want to built a DIY  transport with dac??

giorgio

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2003, 01:41 pm »
perhaps the link go down  :roll:
this is thwe place where u can buy that kit for the cd-rom drive
http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2003, 02:18 pm »
hi Giorgio
i would love to build a cd player,hence my thread' scott nixon one box'.
having read  that the tubed version is better than the std one i wanted to build a single box unit using that dac.
but one; monies tight
two;dont know where to start with the cd player section.

have you any ideas

rob

giorgio

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2003, 02:59 pm »
Hi rob,
I think this kit CD pro 2 from Philips is the only way to build for a private the cd transport.......but..here u can find the price http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page25.html
The CD pro is true a very hi end and famous transport in cd player world, but a final cost of 500 euro plus shipping and a case is a bit expensive for me.

So i have a questions: is possible to use the scott nixon dac with a dvd player like pioneer 656???? I think this could be the best option with a transport around $150 -200 plus the diy scott's dac inside!

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2003, 03:29 pm »
i was thinking the same thing ,but now you have me started on a complete one box build.
have you any experiance in this field?

rob

Raj

cd pro-2
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2003, 04:10 pm »
Hi,

I'm also considering the cd-pro 2 kit. Alas the problem I have is reading schematics, although I could put the cd pro kit together (I can solder etc), I wouldn't be able to read the schematics for the power supplies. I did however find this link http://www.akustik-perfekt.de/concert_Huk.htm
 for a 'diy' cd player based on this transport, which is more expensive, any remarks about this player?

Thanks
Raj

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2003, 04:33 pm »
Raj
have a look at this,as for the player its german and they like it alot... :)  was looking at using the pro as transport only then fitting scott's dac. just wish i had some spare cash as i have the time!!! :o  

rob

Raj

player
« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2003, 04:45 pm »
Well Rob,

Im certainly thinking about it, I do know a couple of guys that would perhaps sort out the power supplies for the cd-pro2 (kit) (cost around £200-300), I'd still need the dac ofcourse and I'd need to know how to put the dac together with the transport etc. I could go for the german machine but I was looking for a upsampling dac which would ofcourse render the dac supplied with the german player useless. Mind you if it sounded good maybe I would not bother.

By the way rob check out this link for a wicked transport using the cd-pro

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4034

Thanks
Raj

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2003, 12:40 pm »
hi all
we could get this baby of the ground.have got some interest on the world audio design bb and by the looks of thing there is some interest here too.. cor!!
Raj good link,some usefull info which could certainly help with the building of a player.

Raj

where's the clock?
« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2003, 07:30 pm »
Hi Rob,

This may sound stupid but, I was looking at the nixon dac to find the clock, can't see it though, where?

Raj

JohnR

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2003, 09:02 pm »
Cool. I might be up for this in a couple of months.

Ravi, the DAC has no clock, the Crystal receiver extracts it from the SPDIF signal :)

Raj

12s
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2003, 08:19 am »
Hi,

The way to go with this transport for best sound is supposed to be thru the 12s connection, I've contacted scott nixon and he says this should be possible. Perhaps that connection bypasses the onboard transport clock though, i don't know, any comments? By the way peter daniel is starting a group buy over on diy audio forum, really only good for those living in canada or usa. Perhaps we could do a similar one for the UK, if anyone is interested that is, perhaps in a couple of months, I've got someone who may sort out a psu to run this thing but it's NOT DEFINATE yet. The's a few ways to go with the psu for the supply of the transport, important is a delay for the 9v supply, and also a good audiophile quality 5v supply for the transport circuitry, this supplies the audio outs which can be connected directly (I think) to a pre, if you want a simple high quality cd player. For those perfectionists (like me) you'd use either the spdif or better still the 12s. Perhaps in a couple of months if there's enough interest in the uk we'll do the group buy, you'd wouldn't save that much perhaps but maybe things like bank charges for the money transfer etc could be reduced.

Thanks
Raj

rob

DIY SACD and DVD ?
« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2003, 11:01 am »
Raj
this is sounding good. i could well be in for part of the group buy. are we looking at a group buy for transport only or may be a dac as well? :D
the idea of using the 12s looks good -by passing the clocks,will that end up with more jitter though? :?:

rob