Alnico Monitor vs. XRS

rebbi

Alnico Monitor vs. XRS
« on: 10 Nov 2015, 09:37 pm »
 Besides the differences in low end extension, how would those of you who have heard both, or moved from one to the other, characterize the similarities and differences between the Alnico Monitor and the Alnico XRS? Not that I'm thinking about moving up the line, or anything…   :lol:

finsup

Re: Alnico Monitor vs. XRS
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2015, 10:14 pm »
It was your epic thread about the Ohm Walsh Micro Tall that introduced me to Ohm Walsh speakers and since 2008, I have followed your other threads with interest and with humor.  I'd say you have commitment issues, Rebbi.  So, keep on because it is always an interesting read and I guess I have to live vicariously through your own audio neurosis. :green:

kevtn8

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2015, 10:16 pm »
Rebbi, can you give us some current updates on how the speakers are sounding so far? Also, are you placing these monitors on Skylan stands?

I had originally ordered the Alnico XRS but changed it to the monitors because of how they looked together on the Skylan stands. They are like picture perfect together. I'm not a subwoofer guy and coming from the Super 3XRS ( w/ the RS5) where I was pretty impressed with the overall bass already, Louis says I'll be very pleased with the bass of the Alnico monitors. He confirmed to me that the Alnico monitors actually have a larger cabinet volume than the 3XRS so the potential is there.

Another thing is that Omegas need the right amp to produce sufficient bass. I'm currently driving my 3XRS with Super Zen Select ( upgraded w/ UFO transformers and Jupiter Copper coupling caps) and the results so far are pretty impressive, especially in regards to the mid-bass and deep bass. Using the 8 ohm tap, the amp seems to have a better grip/control on the speaker cone and this is really noticeable with the bass improvements thus far. Hopefully my UFO transformers will be sufficiently burned-in by the time I get my Alnico monitors.

« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2015, 12:14 am by kevtn8 »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2015, 12:27 am »
Taken from the website.  Can't be explained simpler.

THE LARGE MONITOR CONCEPT
What is the advantage of a large monitor like the Super Alnico Monitor?
1) Large cabinet volume, as large as many towers thus giving a deep, rich bottom end.
2) Speed, because it has a smaller cabinet volume than a tower extending to the floor.
3) Smaller frontal area making for a smaller overall point source.
4) Choice of stands and placement, making a monitor very flexible.

Ultralight

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:42 am »
My understanding is that with Monitor vs XRS, you trade some transient speed for more warmth/bass.   At least that is what I think....:)

finsup, hilarious response.  "Commitment Issues...."  LOL!

UL

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:53 am »
Just to add my two cents having also follows rabbi epic thread....I use both Ohms and omega in different systems...

seikosha

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:56 pm »

rebbi

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2015, 10:23 pm »
It was your epic thread about the Ohm Walsh Micro Tall that introduced me to Ohm Walsh speakers and since 2008, I have followed your other threads with interest and with humor.  I'd say you have commitment issues, Rebbi.  So, keep on because it is always an interesting read and I guess I have to live vicariously through your own audio neurosis. :green:

Finsup,
Well, I've been married to the same woman for 25 years this summer, so at least my issues of commitment are limited to audio stuff.   :lol: