Squeezebox Replacement and Hi Rez player

nocrapman

Squeezebox Replacement and Hi Rez player
« on: 6 Nov 2015, 04:35 pm »
Hi folks,

The SBs are dying.  :(
The older versions SB3 and Duet don't do Hirez and spotify.
I have heard a bit about Bluesound Node and node 2. No raving reviews.
I would be outputting the digital out into my existing DACs.

What other options are there to consider? (I don't want to hassle with Raspberry pi)

TomS

Re: Squeezebox Replacement and Hi Rez player
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2015, 04:51 pm »
Hi folks,

The SBs are dying.  :(
The older versions SB3 and Duet don't do Hirez and spotify.
I have heard a bit about Bluesound Node and node 2. No raving reviews.
I would be outputting the digital out into my existing DACs.

What other options are there to consider? (I don't want to hassle with Raspberry pi)
The Auralic Mini has all of that including an internal dac if you just want it as a backup, option for an internal 2.5" hard drive, and Tidal subscription for $549. An upgraded external power supply is optional.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2015, 05:08 pm »
The Auralic Mini has all of that including an internal dac if you just want it as a backup, option for an internal 2.5" hard drive, and Tidal subscription for $549. An upgraded external power supply is optional.

Hidden cost:  You need an ipad or a tablet (I don't know if they have a Android version yet).

EDIT:  Looks like they do have it.

nocrapman

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2015, 05:24 pm »
There are usually one or more iOS devices lying around. So thats not an issue.

The Auralic A-mini looks great.

Looks like a clear step up from Node2 and even SB touch if u disregard the interface issue.

Am I right in making these assumptions?

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2015, 05:41 pm »
The mini looks very interesting as well. Im considering it vs. an apple mini

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2015, 05:59 pm »
I have a SB2 all decked out by Bolder (Wayne) with his ultimate PS and the whole bit.  I also have PC audio with JRiver/Foobar. 

I am now trying the Aries (full version).  I get the best sound with Aries bridging to my outboard DAC.  SB2 still runs in my wife's office system consisting of a Sofia EL34 integrated and Bose speakers.  She loves streaming internet radio -- sounds pretty good.  PC audio running JRiver (Foobar too) was fine until I ran into conflicting driver issue with my DAC.  So came in Aries.  It's better than my PC as a bridge.  If the mini comes close to the bigger brother, I would say go for it.  It's a modern SB that will handle HiRez.  Like SBs, it has a built in DAC.  I don't know how good it is but you can run it without an outboard DAC.  I suspect the analog out might not be its strength judging by the (lack of) size.  Of course it will output to a USB DAC.  I would say it's exactly what you are looking for when replacing an old Squeezebox. 

nocrapman

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2015, 06:29 pm »
Woodsyi  - do you have the standard aries or the extreme version?

The mini is just starting to ship. I am guessing it will be a few weeks before we get initial user reports.
I might get one of the bigger Aries for the main rig and follow with the mini in the future if I like the interface.
My 2 duets, SB3 and touch are still working but as my Hires collection grows - I am getting the itch...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2015, 06:51 pm »
Woodsyi  - do you have the standard aries or the extreme version?

The mini is just starting to ship. I am guessing it will be a few weeks before we get initial user reports.
I might get one of the bigger Aries for the main rig and follow with the mini in the future if I like the interface.
My 2 duets, SB3 and touch are still working but as my Hires collection grows - I am getting the itch...

I have the stock extreme version.  I have been told that an aftermarket PS (~1k) will take it up a notch.... :o So there is a "proven" upgrade path as well.   8)

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2015, 07:44 pm »
Folks I have two min SBT's I am selling...plus one CIAudio Power Supply. If there is any interest PM me.

I am currently using the Bryston BDP-2 and a SOtM sMS-100. Interested in the Auralic Aries Mini.

firedog

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2015, 07:26 am »
The SOtM SMS-100 (mini server) is a great choice - they come up periodically on the used market.

Sonore also sells the "Sonic Orbiter" - but it is a higher SQ item with a higher price.

You can also install the software SB emulator "Squeezeplay" on just about any computer and have it function as a virtual SB unit. The interface is basically the same as the one on the Touch. Any old laptop would do, the simplest one available with a touchscreen would be fantastic.

jpm

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2015, 07:57 am »
I wonder if the new Kangaroo mini PC would be a good candidate for Squeezeplay?

I just got one to run the Plex PC client software as a replacement for WD TV and so far it's exceeded my expectations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2015, 08:31 am »
I see you guys talking about hirez tracks quite a bit...what exactly are you referring to? Hirez downloads? SACD? DVD-A? And where do you usually get such tracks?

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm »
I see you guys talking about hirez tracks quite a bit...what exactly are you referring to? Hirez downloads? SACD? DVD-A? And where do you usually get such tracks?

Get mine from downloads and ripping discs.  Most of what I have is ripped but more and more purchases are downloads.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2015, 01:42 pm »

For all, I think jtwrace's astute posts on the Computer Audiophile forum and his impressions are quite important to consider given the competition in this price range (read posts 57-60):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-mini-25054/index3.html#post475334

The Auralic mini seems to be faring quite well.

Best,
Anand.

nocrapman

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:00 pm »

Downloads are available aplenty - HDtracks, acoustic sounds to name a few.

Fredly

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:55 pm »
Surprised no one mentioned this, so I thought I would quickly
After having a Modded Squeezebox Classic, then a Modded Squeezebox Touch that fed a Schiit DAC, I have started using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Digi Board as my rig and it's FANTASTIC!

It's cheap, small in size, on all the time, Serves as both Player & Server and I use SqueezePad App to control everything.

Highly recommended! (The total signal path is about 2 inches)

Raspberry Pi 2

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Project-Board/dp/B00T2U7R7I

HifiBerry Digi+

https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

Max2Play (Free software that installs everything you need)

http://www.max2play.com/en/max2play-image/

SqueezePad App

http://www.squeezepad.com/

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2015, 02:18 pm »
I use both SB Touch and a hacked Pogoplug running VAMP  (basically a plug PC running a LINUX distro that allows it to think it is a Squeezebox).  I use iPeng to control them on any of the iOS devices around.

SQ is a push for me.  Both platforms do hi-rez enough for me (24/192 and below).

I don't feel that the SB world is failing at all.  It is still the best simple free setup (the server s/w is free and for those willing to play with LINUX the player s/w is free too) I have seen.  I have been using it for over 10 years now.

nocrapman

« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2015, 03:11 pm »
Surprised no one mentioned this, so I thought I would quickly
After having a Modded Squeezebox Classic, then a Modded Squeezebox Touch that fed a Schiit DAC, I have started using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Digi Board as my rig and it's FANTASTIC!

It's cheap, small in size, on all the time, Serves as both Player & Server and I use SqueezePad App to control everything.

Highly recommended! (The total signal path is about 2 inches)

Raspberry Pi 2

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Project-Board/dp/B00T2U7R7I

HifiBerry Digi+

https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

Max2Play (Free software that installs everything you need)

http://www.max2play.com/en/max2play-image/

SqueezePad App

http://www.squeezepad.com/

Fred, thanks for the redirection and links.
I will have to do some reading on this. I am used to building my own computers and furniture, so hopefully this should be doable too.

What are you impressions on SQ with the Raspberry vs the SB?

Fredly

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2015, 07:34 pm »
(UP FRONT - I'm a Lurker not a Poster on AudioCircle,)

I'll admit, I've had a lengthy love affair with the Squeezebox Family (approx. 10yrs)

Basically, once you get used to controlling all your Music at your fingertips, it's VERY difficult to return.

I LOVE my modded Squeezebox Touch, but knew it was time to go to the next level to really take advantage of the Hires Music now available.

So, like many others, I started investigating and was seriously eyeballing the Auralic Mini. It seemed to be EXACLTY what I was looking for.

Somewhere, a few months back, I came across a thread that basically said the Auralic Mini WAS in fact a Raspberry Pi Music Server or at least a derivative thereof.

So….after one month of reading about Raspberry Music Players, I bit the bullet and ordered it with a HifiBerry Dac+.

Initially, I ran it with the free RuneAudio Player App, and thought this combo was VERY good.

However, I still LOVED the convenience and look of the SqueezePad App (or Ipeng) as everything was far easier to manage and it looked terrific.

Then I discovered Max2Play, and frankly was blow away that I'd not heard of it before.

It's basically a front end that does ALL the dirty Linux Raspberry configuration work for you. It's a little intimidating at first, but I was able to quickly configure and get everything running just like I wanted.

So for $150 I have a headless a Music Server and Player running ALL the time, with 2TB of High Res Music attached, that was the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Finally, two weeks ago, I ordered my second Raspberry Pi, this time with the Hifiberry Digi+, to connect co-axially to my Schiit Bifrost DAC.

This combo BLEW AWAY everything before it and I can honestly say this is a VERY good/accurate/cheap transport.

So…why does it sound so good? I'm of the opinion that it abides as close as possible to the KISS system.

My originally configuration was my Music Server in the Computer Room Ethernet connected to the Squeezebox Touch in the Man Cave, connected to the DAC. This represented about 25+ feet of wire the music had to travel through BEFORE getting converted.

Now the music travels through 6 inches of wire/signal path BEFORE it's sent to the DAC.

Simplicity at its best!

Schitt recently brought out the new Bifrost Multibit, combine this with the Raspberry Digi+ as transport and one can have an AMAZING front end for a very small investment.

My 2 cents worth!

Good luck to all, Fred in Canada