Are there any upgrades to 7B SST2 planned for 2016

john1970

Hi James,

I am considering upgrading my 4B SST2 to a pair of 7B SST2 in the 2016  timeframe and would like to know if there are any planned upgrades within the next 12-14 months.  If Bryston is planning on launching a new SST3 series I would rather wait for the new series to be released.

Lastly, can two 7BSST amps be stacked on top of each other?  Due to space limitations it is the only way I can fit them into my system.  Please advise.

Thank you,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Are there any upgrades to 7B SST2 planned for 2016
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:32 pm »
Hi James,

I am considering upgrading my 4B SST2 to a pair of 7B SST2 in the 2016  timeframe and would like to know if there are any planned upgrades within the next 12-14 months.  If Bryston is planning on launching a new SST3 series I would rather wait for the new series to be released.

Lastly, can two 7BSST amps be stacked on top of each other?  Due to space limitations it is the only way I can fit them into my system.  Please advise.

Thank you,

John

Hi John

Yes they can be stacked.  We are always looking at better ways to improve the performance of our products so it is difficult to answer definitively because if something gets developed that provides better overall performance we would definitely move on it.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2015, 09:14 pm »
Hi John

Yes they can be stacked.  We are always looking at better ways to improve the performance of our products so it is difficult to answer definitively because if something gets developed that provides better overall performance we would definitely move on it.

james

James,
Following is a quote from page 1 of the 7BSST2 manual which seems to preclude stacking.

"Ventilation. The most important installation consideration is ventilation. The 7BSST2 amplifier is convection cooled. Unrestricted air-flow across the 7BSST2 heat sinks is a must. For this reason do not install anything directly above it. Allow 3.5" (2u) to 5.25” (3u) inches of space above and to the sides of this amplifier. Do not install directly above other heat generating equipment."

Tony

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2015, 09:41 pm »
There's always stuff like - http://www.grainger.com/product/AIRLOC-Vibe-Iso-Pad-2-In-x-2-In-3ECK4?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3ECK4_AS01?$smthumb$

They can create some space when they are stacked between components that would avoid some heat issues.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2015, 11:10 pm »
James,
Following is a quote from page 1 of the 7BSST2 manual which seems to preclude stacking.

"Ventilation. The most important installation consideration is ventilation. The 7BSST2 amplifier is convection cooled. Unrestricted air-flow across the 7BSST2 heat sinks is a must. For this reason do not install anything directly above it. Allow 3.5" (2u) to 5.25” (3u) inches of space above and to the sides of this amplifier. Do not install directly above other heat generating equipment."

Tony

HI

I think it is overly cautious - unless you are running a disco not to worry

james

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2015, 06:10 am »
I haven't done it with 7's, but I've stacked a 2/3/4 together in a pro audio rack with 1U in between (about 1.75") and it got warmer but not terribly so.

What did not work however was putting the same arrangement into a carrying case which was closed at the sides. I don't think it was quite into the danger zone, but it was quite uncomfortable to put my hand in there.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:45 am »
Hi Everyone,

The two 7BSST2 would be stacked on an end table in an open air environment (no enclosures) between the right speaker and corner wall.  There is 5 inches of space between the amp and speaker on the left side and more than 12 inches of space to the rear of the amp and corner wall.  I can also install some spacers that would increase the distance between the amps when staked to ~2". 

Any thoughts if heat should still be a concern?  Please advise.

Thank you,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2015, 12:04 pm »
Hi John

I stack a 7B and a 4B in my Active Model T setup for over 2 years and no issues.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2015, 04:54 pm »
My 28's are stacked out in the open and no issues. I think there is probably a bit more heat generated than if they weren't stacked because I believe the heat generated by one feeds into the other and vise versa, particularly the bottom unit into the top unit.

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2015, 03:31 am »
My 28's are stacked out in the open and no issues. I think there is probably a bit more heat generated than if they weren't stacked because I believe the heat generated by one feeds into the other and vise versa, particularly the bottom unit into the top unit.

The "bit more heat generated" is the reason I would not stack my 7B SST2"s or any other pair of amps.  The additional heat over time will diminish the lifespan of the amps.  I'm not saying right or wrong, that's just my $.02.  If you do decide to stack I would swap amp positions every now an again. 

Armaegis

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:40 am »
Or for $10-30 you can get one of those laptop cooling pads and stick it in between...

Rod_S

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2015, 11:02 am »
I don't think that would be a good idea as it would block the vents at the top of the bottom amp.

My amps have been this way since I got them in the fall of 2013 but next Spring I will be separating them so one goes over by my right speaker plus they'll each be on single shelf Rack of Silence stand.

BrysTony

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:16 pm »
The "bit more heat generated" is the reason I would not stack my 7B SST2"s or any other pair of amps.  The additional heat over time will diminish the lifespan of the amps.  I'm not saying right or wrong, that's just my $.02.  If you do decide to stack I would swap amp positions every now an again.

I agree.  From a reliability standpoint, heat is the enemy of electronic components.  Fact!

Tony

Armaegis

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:51 pm »
I don't think that would be a good idea as it would block the vents at the top of the bottom amp.

The cooling pads are basically just skinny fan assemblies. They won't block anything underneath

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:27 pm »
My 3bsst stacked,no issues

set now using

BrysTony

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:54 pm »
If you like to stack your amplifiers, it's your amplifiers and you are certainly free to do it.  After all you have a 20 year warranty.  Just be aware that the amps will be operating at a higher temperature and it is an undisputed fact that heat decreases the mean time between failure (MTBF) of electronic components.  The amps may last for years but they will fail sooner than if they had sufficient ventilation and were not impacted by being close to a heat source.  That's why the manual says don't do it.

Tony

john1970

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2015, 08:24 pm »
Tony you do bring up a very good point and as an alternative I would consider the 14B SST2 which is essentially two 7B units in a single unit although with reduced capacitance / channel.  There is no rush on my end since my 4B SST2 works flawlessly. 

Best,

John