Finished Clarinet

Wayne1

Finished Clarinet
« on: 16 Oct 2004, 05:41 pm »
With all the rush and bother leading the RMAF, I never had the chance to post any pictures of the Clarinet after I received the case from IAG.

Then I lost my digital camera   :cry:

I bought another one last night and took some new photos of the Clarinet and Cornet I used at RMAF.

Both have cases made by Horace at IAG.

The side panels are Bubinga and the knobs are "Thingamaknobs" made from Cocobolo by AC's own "some young guy".

I replaced the side panels on the Cornet with Bubinga, as well.

The tube dampers are Herbie's black teflon with high temp pads.

The sound of the combo with the JJAZ amps and RM-30s was VERY nice.

I am really pleased with the look and the sound of the Clainet and Cornet.

Eric H

Very nice!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2004, 02:14 am »
I'm working on a Cornet (2) + Clarinet combo, too.  I can't compete with your chassis work but I'll post some pics when I'm done.  The Cornet2 is done and sounding great, the Clarinet should be running soon...  can't wait to hear it...  One thing I did differently was to peel off the transformer sticker and put it inside the chassis...  Great work!  Eric H

DeadFish

Finished Clarinet
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2004, 09:17 pm »
That's a right-nice looking Clarinet you have built there, Wayne!
It was only in retrospect that I realize you had this in your room at RMAF while we were listening.  Your system sounded so good, I know that the Clarinet must have brought a lot 'to the party'.  Perhaps that it wan't noticed is a statement in itself!

Yer getting me pumped up for buying parts this week now for mine.
 :D  (God bless Jim and the attendance prizes!)

Was so sorry to hear of your loss of camera and daughter's computer.
Glad to hear that they were things you could replace.
(besides, your daughter was probably already looking at an upgrade, right?  :wink: )

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Wayne1

Finished Clarinet
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2004, 02:19 pm »
Deadfish,

The Laptop was bought for her 15th birthday in April. The new one has a DVD burner and a 64 bit processor but is otherwise the same.

Here ia a shot of my stuffed Clarinet board before I installed it in the chassis.

I really like the design and layout of Jim's boards. I do feel that the components used in the signal path could be a bit better. I used the Riken-Ohm resistors (which go for $3.00 EACH) and the Mundorf caps for coupling and bypass. You can pretty much pick and chose what brand of "Audiophile" caps and resistors you want to use. The Auricaps or Multicaps would be a very good choice for a clean sound. The Jensen caps are fairly "warm".

You will find you will get a wider variety of sound through tube rolling.

Have fun!! It is a great project to build.

DeadFish

Finished Clarinet
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:16 pm »
Thanks a lot, Wayne, on clarifying some of the 'designer' parts you went for.
Unfortunately, though I have the skills to put this together, I don't necessarilly have the experience between varieties of brands, and must
'depend on the kindnesses of others', as it were, to steer me to a happy place.
Ultimately, this pre is gonna make me much happier, as long as it WORKS when I am done.  :wink:

Still, ya done 'right purty' stuff there.

Best Regards,
Bill